Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed some spacers on my ridgeline and the look is amazing. I love it. The spacers are not hub centric so I had to get some hub centric rings. So between the rotor and the wheel spacers the rings are all set. My question is, do I need hub centric rings between the wheel spacers and the wheel? My gut says yes, but I have no idea how to make it work. The center bore on the spacers is 74mm. So do I need something from 74mm to 64.1mm?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
So you like the looks of your wheels/tires stickin out. With all the heat that lifts get with problems this is the same if not more in my opinion. I would have gone with an aftermarket wheel with know more than an inch offset. Its just more to worry about (a spacer). I have a lift and running stock wheels with 245/70R17s with no more or less issues than anyone else here with the same RL and about the same miles. Besides all it does is through crap all over the side.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Rob, the wheel needs something to center it to the center of the hub. You've centered the spacers but that does not do the whole job, as the typical centering ring is not tall enough to engage with the center bore of the wheel itself.

If you are determined to run spacers on a hubcentric setup like the Ridgeline, the right way to do it is with a custom wheel spacer. This is typically one piece of aluminum, machined to fit the centering lip on the hub, and the center bore of the wheel. A quick search will find you a number of companies that make those, and they are not terribly expensive. This website has a pic of what a custom spacer looks like: http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

As you see, the center bore of the spacer engages with the center of the hub, and the outer bore centers the rim. These are built in a custom size to match the specific dimensions of both the hub and the wheel.

I hope you have also installed longer wheel studs with your spacers - if not, your wheels will fall off. That could be unpleasant.

Flymo

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I'd check on a Toyota truck forum, a lot of them run spacers on their rides. I always thought about doing this so I would love to see a pic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put black rhino 18 x 8.5 wheels and 255 60 r18 dyna pro allterrain tires with hub centric bora 1.5 inch wheel spacers on my 2017 ridgeline this made all the difference in the world looks wise .you should use anti seize between spacersand hub and blue locktite on spacer studs i have had no problems yet we will see if ball joints can handle it but i dont plan on any off roading nor do i drive my truck like a race car i have a 2017 mustang gt for that. The wheels have a plus 35 offset so the is a wider look to the truck wheels are black rhino mozambique tires hankook dyna pro atm.they balanced perfectly no rub at full lock no hum at highway speed.loved how it all came out

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If there is no lip on the spacer then no you cant use a hub centric ring. I believe the factory lug nuts will do the centering though

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking at the Black Rhino Warlord in 17" with +35 offset as well. I too, would like to run those same spacers as you. Would love to see a picture if you can post.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
My opinion is!!!
Instead of hub rings, go and buy hub-centric wheel spacers ASAP!!!
The center bore size of these OEM wheels is engineered to fits snugly against the original axle. This offers the most accurate way to center the wheel and the axle hub. In a hub-centric design, it is the wheel-to-axle connection that undertakes the weight of the car as well as bears the forces acting on the wheel. And the lug studs/nuts are used to fasten the wheel to the mounting plate. This form allows better resistance of impact loads from being created when motoring on typical roads.
Hub centric wheel spacers mean wheel spacers with small rings of metal made with specific diameters to fit the wheel hub, transforming a lug-centric wheel into a hub-centric one. They are designed to make a snug connection between the wheel and axle hub, ensuring the hub carries the weight of the car instead of the studs or bolts. This allows the wheels are truly central to the vehicle hub, meaning no high-speed vibrations through the wheels. Meanwhile, hub centric wheel spacers also reduce the stress on the wheel studs or bolts, improving service life range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts