Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on running spacers all around on my BE, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience/recommendations on which to get. I've run spacers on multiple cars in the past (anywhere from (5-25mm), but they've all been sporty sedan/coupes, so I usually stick to the H&R Trak spacers.

I'm currently looking at these ones online:
Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Centric Rings | Motorsport Tech (2 inch)

TIA!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Rule of thumb on fasteners in general: if you have a 14mm diameter wheel stud, you want the bare minimum of 14mm of stud length to utilize.

Basically make sure you are using at least 14mm of length of the stud, as too thick of a wheel spacer can be dangerous.

Next time I pull my wheels I'll post the max safe wheel spacer thickness.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great feedback!

I've only had cars with bolts my whole life, so everytime I ran spacers I would get the matching bolt length and call it a day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a thought, but a better option to consider is buying custom wheels with an offset that will provide the stance you desire. Black Rhino builds a wheel called the Mozambique 18X8.5" with a +35mm offset. Mounting a 255/60R18 tire on this wheel gives the truck a fantastic stance and it looks great. With this package, there is no need to use a wheel spacer, you have wheels mounted directly to the hub.

I installed these on my White G2 - drives perfect and looks fantastic.

I have been in the tire and wheel business for more than 40 years and am not a fan of wheel spacers on trucks. Too much leverage on the wheel studs when under extreme load.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just a thought, but a better option to consider is buying custom wheels with an offset that will provide the stance you desire. Black Rhino builds a wheel called the Mozambique 18X8.5" with a +35mm offset. Mounting a 255/60R18 tire on this wheel gives the truck a fantastic stance and it looks great. With this package, there is no need to use a wheel spacer, you have wheels mounted directly to the hub.

I installed these on my White G2 - drives perfect and looks fantastic.

I have been in the tire and wheel business for more than 40 years and am not a fan of wheel spacers on trucks. Too much leverage on the wheel studs when under extreme load.

Best of luck.
Will you please post a picture of this combination in the alternate wheel thread please?

I am looking at that exact wheel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really like those wheels too. They will move the wheels out about 3/4 of an inch
(.787? )... Would like to see pics as well, please.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'll be the old fart in asking that you want to push your wheels out from the wheel wells correct? I figured it would happen eventually to the 2017 RL.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, I think the 20" Mozambique with the +35 offset, which will move the face of the wheel .787 inches further out than stock, will be a big improvement appearance wise.
The factory wheels look like 4 doughnuts on these trucks. 20s should be standard on most, if not all trims.

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'll be the old fart in asking that you want to push your wheels out from the wheel wells correct? I figured it would happen eventually to the 2017 RL.
Most people would agree (and I'm not exactly young either), that the wheels on this truck have front driver sucked way in the wheel wells look written all over them.

How's that for the worst sentence typed ever?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Rule of thumb on fasteners in general: if you have a 14mm diameter wheel stud, you want the bare minimum of 14mm of stud length to utilize.

Basically make sure you are using at least 14mm of length of the stud, as too thick of a wheel spacer can be dangerous.

Factory lugs on the RTL-E are on the studs 11 turns, or 15mm. On a 14mm stud, this leaves room for no more than a 1mm thick spacer. Bottom line, there is no way a spacer should ever be used. The danger is high for stripping lugs and losing wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Factory lugs on the RTL-E are on the studs 11 turns, or 15mm. On a 14mm stud, this leaves room for no more than a 1mm thick spacer. Bottom line, there is no way a spacer should ever be used. The danger is high for stripping lugs and losing wheels.
These spacers would have indentions for the lug nuts such that a 20mm spacer would not take away 20mm of stud thread. The thickness of the spacer where the lug nuts are tightened too will be similar to the thickness of any wheel.

I have the 1.25 in BORA spacers coming in today. I think they will look great.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is there a reason for doing this other than looks? I was always told it changes wheel bearing line of force, I.e., offset which is not a good thing. Would Honda consider this a change that voids your warranty?

·
Registered
231 Posts
They can try to void, but they'll have to contend with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Yes, I am aware of that and it's implications. By the same token, I have heard of problems caused by using aftermarket things like K&N filters, cat back exhaust systems, etc. that in theory should be ok, but manufacturers disapprove. They have hundreds of lawyers and you have, well, none.

But ignoring that discussion, can the different offset cause a problem?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I am aware of that and it's implications. By the same token, I have heard of problems caused by using aftermarket things like K&N filters, cat back exhaust systems, etc. that in theory should be ok, but manufacturers disapprove. They have hundreds of lawyers and you have, well, none.

But ignoring that discussion, can the different offset cause a problem?
Ross, dealerships will try to get your warranty voided for putting an air freshener in the car if they can. No matter what you do, they'll try to use it against you.

For example if you lower your car by cutting your springs, and your shocks wear out prematurely, then for sure you can expect some kind of heat. But if you change your rims and your AC stops working they'd have a really hard time proving anything.

I really don't see any possible issues with running spacers that would void your warranty, as long as you go with a reputable brand, and get the right set. Hub & wheel centric will ensure that the spacers is centered to the hub, and that the wheel is centered to the spacer (or else you may experience some vibration).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Is there a reason for doing this other than looks? I was always told it changes wheel bearing line of force, I.e., offset which is not a good thing. Would Honda consider this a change that voids your warranty?
My other car is in the shop so I can't take any pictures, but I run 20mm in the rear, and 15 mm spacer in the front. Standing behind my car, you'd think I was running a 305 tire from how far it stuck out, but it's actually a 275.

EDIT: Found a pic for reference. Spacers make the rims/tires look much more aggressive!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tried to do some before/after, but I realize I'm pretty bad at this. These are 1.25 inch BORA spacers. The fronts rub the rear wheel well at full lock; not enough to concern me. The plastic well has a lot of give at the point of contact. I do have larger BFG KO2s in 265/65/18 though. The Truxxx level kit comes in next week so I will report then if it still rubs after install. I will add some more pictures tomorrow when the suns up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts