Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the driver's side front wheel bearing and when I finished and went for a test drive there were three different error lights showing. all related to the wheel speed sensor on that side I assume. The repair went well. I was very careful with the speed sensor before removing the spindle assembly. I did turn the key on twice during the repair process in order to put the transmission in neutral so I could spin the hub to align gears when reassembling. My mechanic told me to disconnect the battery overnight to clear the errors and that did not work. Do I just need the dealer to clear the errors or did I damage something? I didn't notice any speed "cogs" on the axle. Something must be hiding in there. The only parts I have from the project are the remains of the original wheel bearing that I replaced. Any ideas?
thanks,
james

·
Registered
285 Posts
I recently replaced the driver's side front wheel bearing and when I finished and went for a test drive there were three different error lights showing. all related to the wheel speed sensor on that side I assume. The repair went well. I was very careful with the speed sensor before removing the spindle assembly. I did turn the key on twice during the repair process in order to put the transmission in neutral so I could spin the hub to align gears when reassembling. My mechanic told me to disconnect the battery overnight to clear the errors and that did not work. Do I just need the dealer to clear the errors or did I damage something? I didn't notice any speed "cogs" on the axle. Something must be hiding in there. The only parts I have from the project are the remains of the original wheel bearing that I replaced. Any ideas?
thanks,
james
It would help maybe to know what lamps are lit. It would really help to read out the trouble codes using a scanner.
Assuming you used the correct wheel bearing, it has a magnetic encoder built into it. The bearing is marked with a brown color on one side only. That side has to go in towards the knuckle (that is facing in). If you installed the bearing backwards, the speed sensor will not work and a fault will be generated

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
james, did you have the FSM available when you did the work? There's a note that may have bearing (no pun intended) on your issue:
(looks like Ridgekid pretty well covered it)

Do you need the full procedure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would remove the sensor and examine the end of it to look for damage. If there is no damage, check the wires running into the sensor. They may have been stretched or damaged during the repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts