Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so I have this set of wheels which was originally meant for an old BMW 128i we used to have years ago. wheels are brand new and have been sitting in storage for the last 7 years....YIKES!

Milano M724 by Milano

I have the black with chrome lip.
18x8.5
5x120
CB 67.1
+35 offset

I wanna run a 265/60/18 All terrain tire.

Im leaning towards the Falken Wildpeaks due to their semi aggressive look, noise, wear and handling characteristics. the ridgie is primarily a street/highway vehicle so id like to have some sort of road comfort and am ok with a bit of extra noise.

Second choice would be the Pirelli All Terrain Plus. Which also look good and have similar features and benefits of the Falken's other than the price. which is about a $200-250 difference more than the Falkens.

My vehicle is all stock other than the wheels. no lift or lower kits.

The Falkens measure out to 30.6" in overall diameter.

The Pirelli's measure out to 30.5" in overall diameter

Stock diameter is 29.5"

Ive done the research and some say this would rub, some say not, others say it depends on the tire. So anyone have experience with either of these tires?

Heres pics of a test mount

Attachments

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Hey guys, so I have this set of wheels which was originally meant for an old BMW 128i we used to have years ago. wheels are brand new and have been sitting in storage for the last 7 years....YIKES!

Milano M724 by Milano

I have the black with chrome lip.
18x8.5
5x120
CB 67.1
+35 offset

I wanna run a 265/60/18 All terrain tire.

Im leaning towards the Falken Wildpeaks due to their semi aggressive look, noise, wear and handling characteristics. the ridgie is primarily a street/highway vehicle so id like to have some sort of road comfort and am ok with a bit of extra noise.

Second choice would be the Pirelli All Terrain Plus. Which also look good and have similar features and benefits of the Falken's other than the price. which is about a $200-250 difference more than the Falkens.

My vehicle is all stock other than the wheels. no lift or lower kits.

The Falkens measure out to 30.6" in overall diameter.

The Pirelli's measure out to 30.5" in overall diameter

Stock diameter is 29.5"

Ive done the research and some say this would rub, some say not, others say it depends on the tire. So anyone have experience with either of these tires?

Heres pics of a test mount
Do you have any sense of what the load rating is of the Milano wheels? The Ridge needs a wheel that can handle at least 1500lbs vs about 1100lbs for a BMW128

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,054 Posts
Do you have any sense of what the load rating is of the Milano wheels? The Ridge needs a wheel that can handle at least 1500lbs vs about 1100lbs for a BMW128
We’ve Discussed this before, I thought that it was like 2000lb (2064 rings a bell) per wheel, maybe @zroger73 or @smufguy will recall.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,421 Posts
Here is a simple way to determine the MINIMUM load rating of a wheel. >> https://www.tsw.com/explore-tsw-custom-wheels/wheel-load-rating.php
Look at the VIN sticker on the DR door jamb of your G1, it will probably list the GVWR of 6050lbs and the GAWR F of 3105lbs and a GAWR R of 3245lbs. Take the largest number (3245lbs) and divide it by 2 (for per corner) and you get 1622.5lbs. So This is the MINIMUM load rating needed for each wheel of that G1 you will be buying.

Typically the wheels made by aftermarket manufacturers exceed these numbers by a lot, sometimes by 50% (or 1.5x) , as they fit a multitude of vehicles. Some aftermarket manufacturers advertise their load rating, while many do not. Dealers such as TireRack or Disctount Tire/DTD are aware of this and tailor their website to outfit vehicles with certain wheels. Same reason why the G1 wheels (disregarding offset) fit the G2. Also note that same wheels (of a model/design) will have different load rating depending on its bolt pattern. Example, a 4x100mm wheel will probably have a lower load rating than its 5x120mm counterpart.

I found a Milano M724 mounted on a '98 740i and also a '10 Dodge Ram. They were both 22s. The BMW 128i has a MAX GAWR of 1124lbs, which is grossly lower than the G1. Unless you can be certain on the wheel load rating (ask around shops or online dealers who used to sell them), I wont put it on.

BTW, you said your Center bore of the wheel is 67.1mm. Can you actually measure the Wheel's bore and report back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys. I never even considered the load rating of the wheel, tires yes, wheels no lol, so thanks for pointing it out.

So I flipped the wheel around and found a wheel rating of 2200lbs!

@smufguy
CB confirmed via box, dont have a caliper to actually measure it right now. so have to assume that the box is right

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,421 Posts
Hey @Funkified, thanks for that. Looks like you do not have to get a new set of wheels. That +35mm offset is perfect too. When you could, is it possible to take a tape measure or a digital caliper, and measure the actual bore on the wheel?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill try to grab a measurement tomorrow!

so now that the wheel will fit and be safe. lets talk about tires!

any one have experience with either of my potential choices?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CB is indeed what is stated.

With the 35 offset wheels do you guys think it will rub at 265/60/18?

I’ve searched through all the threads I could, and for the guys that rubbed, I saw they were running stock wheels mostly so maybe the 35 offset will help to minimize the rubbing?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,421 Posts
Thanks for confirming the centerbore of the wheel. I am still preplexed how that 67.1mm hole fits over a 70.1mm hub carrier on the G1. Anyway, onto the tires/wheels.

Typically the stock offset is forgiving with wider tires (same profile height) than the ones with lower offset.

The Wildpeak A/T3W is a 30.6" tire in the 265/60-R18 configuration. I used to have a General Grabber AT2 in the 245/70-R17 and that was a 30.5" tire mated to a +45mm offset OEM wheel. I rubbed (just barely) getting into my driveway with the wheel turned. With the +35mm wheel mated to a 30.6" tire that is 265mm wide, I am almost certain you would rub. Also the Wildpeak in that size weighs 43.2lbs each, it is very very heavy and it will not be fun driving on the highway with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice, I did notice the weight on the spec sheet too, the wheels themselves also seem pretty heavy so it might be a bad combo.

70.1mm? I thought the bore size was 64.1?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,421 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I did notice the weight on the spec sheet too, the wheels themselves also seem pretty heavy so it might be a bad combo.

70.1mm? I thought the bore size was 64.1?
+1 on the weight. Good thinking. It is frustrating when you have a wheel, that you purchased, fits the truck, but is not logic as the weight penalty (with the tire combo) is more than stock. BTW, how heavy are each of these wheels? Looks like a lot of old-school MB and BMW owners like it; Craigslist maybe your best bet.

I say 70.1mm is because the hub carrier on our Ridgeline (Odysseys, MDXs, etc) have a wheel hub carrier size of 70.1mm. The rotor hat needs to be of this diameter so it can sit around it and same applies for the wheel. Some wheels have larger 'wheel bores', like 74mm or 73mm and they run hub centric rings to bridge that gap so the wheel sits centered on the hub. Most of the aftermarket wheels available for the G1 (and also the G2) will have a wheel bore size of 72mm and up.

I took a digital caliper to the MDX wheel I have and it is 70.1mm and runs no hub-centric rings and the G1 StopTech Rotor I have (for the G1) has a bore size of 70.1mm as well. Also my Rotora BBK rotor hat has similar bore size.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 on the weight. Good thinking. It is frustrating when you have a wheel, that you purchased, fits the truck, but is not logic as the weight penalty (with the tire combo) is more than stock. BTW, how heavy are each of these wheels? Looks like a lot of old-school MB and BMW owners like it; Craigslist maybe your best bet.

I say 70.1mm is because the hub carrier on our Ridgeline (Odysseys, MDXs, etc) have a wheel hub carrier size of 70.1mm. The rotor hat needs to be of this diameter so it can sit around it and same applies for the wheel. Some wheels have larger 'wheel bores', like 74mm or 73mm and they run hub centric rings to bridge that gap so the wheel sits centered on the hub. Most of the aftermarket wheels available for the G1 (and also the G2) will have a wheel bore size of 72mm and up.

I took a digital caliper to the MDX wheel I have and it is 70.1mm and runs no hub-centric rings and the G1 StopTech Rotor I have (for the G1) has a bore size of 70.1mm as well. Also my Rotora BBK rotor hat has similar bore size.
ahhh gotcha, thanks for the clear explanation! hmmmm when i did the test fit, it was done quickly at the shop for visual purposes only, i had merely assumed that i would need hubcentric rings to make it all work. we didnt screw the lugnuts on, so really the wheel was only floating on the studs.

I may have to reconsider the wheel now, and drop it back to a 17" for better tire choices.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,421 Posts
I like the 18" wheel setup as there are many 'normal' looking wheels in this size and 17"s seem to be of a more truck-y feel to it and the tires with their massive sidewalls are not great for handling.
I run a 255/60/R18 and it is only 1.7% larger than the OEM 245/65R17 or 245/60R18. There are rather good selection of AT and highway tires in this size. Tire Rack has around 20 tires in this size and Discount Tire Direct has around 19 tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive tried pretty hard to look for a good AT tire in 255/60 and I dont see any choices from the suppliers up here in canada. the only available choice ive seen is the terra grapplers, and thats gonna run $300CAD a piece. id like to keep the budget under $1k for the tires as i have to buy lugnuts and tpms sensors still.

im gonna run another test fit today and see if the wheel seats properly on the hubs.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,036 Posts
G1 stock wheel offset is 45mm, if that makes a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm not much help but I did put Falken Wildpeak AT3s in 245/65/17 on my 08 RL. Love the look but ride isn't as good as Michelin LTX M/S and they are a bit noisier. Amazon has them for under $500 delivered. I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did the test fit again and found it to definitely have some play between the wheel and hub. And that’s with the wheel sitting flush on the face of the hub.

So I measured the hub with a caliper!

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,421 Posts
Did the test fit again and found it to definitely have some play between the wheel and hub. And that’s with the wheel sitting flush on the face of the hub.

So I measured the hub with a caliper!
Now I need to measure mine with a caliper. This is how my rotor sits on the hub and its always tight with no play along the face of the hub. I need to measure the actual part where brake hat bore meets the hub carrier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
oh man that BBK looks sexy. makes me jealous! lol

so i looked around again and have found out through my local distributors that the Dynapro ATM is being discontinued and not readily available anymore in 255/60/18. and their new line to replace it, will not be coming in that size.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,421 Posts
oh man that BBK looks sexy. makes me jealous! lol

so i looked around again and have found out through my local distributors that the Dynapro ATM is being discontinued and not readily available anymore in 255/60/18. and their new line to replace it, will not be coming in that size.

I actually ditched my Dynapro ATM to go with Grabber AT2 from DTD. I have expressed my experience in my BBK thread as the Dynapro ATM, in my experience, seem to be very unnerving in handling. You living in Alberta plays a major role in determining your tire choice and maybe you can swap summer tires and winter tires. If you want to go with just an ATM tire, then I would highly recommend General Grabber AT2s. This is my second set of these tires and I also ran two sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers (that I also recommend).
There are many here who run various tires from Cooper to BFG to Falkens and everything in between and is very easy to get lost in. Looking at tire rating, experience and tire weight, you would have a handful of ATM tires to decide from.

Below is my truck with the Grabber AT2s.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts