Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The article states that "The Midwest is a term that is sometimes used interchangeably with the "Heartland" or "Middle America." Doesn't sound like a move to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, if you're not from Iowa, who cares.

I, on the other hand, used to live there.

There is an area on the Board called the Midwest, and Wisconsin is included and Iowa is excluded.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
If you are referring to the dark red area on the map, I think if you look again, Iowa is included. That is unless Iowa has actually moved. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I've never understood where the term "midwest" came from or what it means. I live in Minnesota (Midwest???). When I look at a map of the CONUS, Minnesota sure looks like a North Central region to me:D .

·
Administrator
1,429 Posts
Let me give an explanation as to how the states and provinces were divided into Regional Forums/Clubs. This is a process that actually took me quite a while to come up with. Since at the time the ROC didn't have Regional Forums and the Element Owners Club I began at the EOC doing this. We wanted to keep the sites as uniform as possible to simplify manageing them so the changes we make on one site we change on the other site usually.

I took a map of the US and began to look at lots of other car club sites to see how they divided the states into regional areas. I also began doing lots of searches online to see how mapping companies divided the country as well as trucking companies and many other companies. I know this isn't 100% perfect and not everyone will ever be satisfied with how this was done, but we unfortunately can't please everyone. If these sites had 100,000 members then we could have a forum for each state, but at this junction that isn't warranted.

Here is an image I found recently to show the people on the EOC where the term "Heartland" came from.

In that picture you'll see that Iowa is smack dab in the middle of the country. As for Wisconsin, it is closer to what is generally considered the Midwest than Iowa is, at least as defined by the majority of people and companies that I found when doing all of this research.

Let me give you an example of someone who protested my realigning the states into these regions. Someone got angry when I combined Georgia with Florida. He lives in Atlanta and protested that he has nothing to do with Florida and wants Georgia to have it's own region back; at the beginning Georgia was a forum unto itself by mistake. Well he got all bent out of shape and was refusing to hang around. We tried explaining that geographically it is a better fit, etc. Well, within 2 weeks he was talking about something he was putting together in northern Florida and was now happy for the change. :) See, eventually this stuff works out.

Just because we split the states the way we did, doesn't mean things can't change. I actually took several weeks of asking the members on the EOC about how I was proposing to divide the regions. I admit I didn't on the ROC because like I said at the time there weren't any regional forums, I think there might have been a combined 5, maybe 6 if even that. Now we have 23 Regional Forums and subforums. I've included all 50 states, 7 provinces and Puerto Rico. Before we left out a bunch of states, had a few in multiple places and had nowhere for Canadian members to post.

I hope we've done a pretty good job of giving everyone a place to post about local events and talk about things specifically for your part(s) of the country.

If anyone can come up with changes they would like to see in this area or other areas of the site, please let us know. We are always making changes and looking for ways to improve the site, so please don't be shy.

I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Those of us in public service in the Cornhusker state can no longer call everything east of Lincoln "Outstate Nebraska." We must address that area as "Greater Nebraska." Apparently, they feel ignored and it hurts their feelings.

Political correctness...ugh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts