Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the intended use for the D3 downshift button?

I probably should have read the book on this, but i don't have it with me right now?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Towing would be my first suggestion. If you check the manual, the last two gears of the RL transmission are overdrive gears. It's not typically good to tow with O/D.

I use it sometimes on steeper roads to prevent the use of constant pressure on the brake pedal to keep the speed down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
swampler said:
My RL downshifts when braking on steep downhills...no need to manually use D3.
I must have either 1) steeper hills here in San Diego or 2) lower speed limits becuase there are a couple of roads I drive daily and the transmission downshift is not enough to keep me from getting a speeding tickect from the nice officer who sits at the bottom with a radar gun 2-3 times a week!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
EBone said:
I must have either 1) steeper hills here in San Diego or 2) lower speed limits becuase there are a couple of roads I drive daily and the transmission downshift is not enough to keep me from getting a speeding tickect from the nice officer who sits at the bottom with a radar gun 2-3 times a week!
Maybe it will only downshift 1 gear? I hadn't considered that.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rtboy1961 said:
Sometimes when towing my horse on hilly winding country roads I will shift it down, but really the RL does fine even if i dont. With horse in tow Im pulling around 3100 pounds.
thats the same weight as my boat, I wonder which goes through more fuel? my boat or your hose?

Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lowrider, Im not sure about my mpg when towing since I dont tow enuff to calculate it. I know it does go down. Without towing Im around 19 mpg even. My guess is my horse trailer would use more gas than your boat only because of the wind resistance from my boxy trailer verse your trim boat? In the immortal words of my wife " That damn horse eats to much and that truck uses to much gas! "

·
Registered
536 Posts
Normally the RL will be fine towing in Drive. The computer for the transmission is suppose to be able to handle/sense towing and react accordingly. (see the manual)

The only time to use D3 in normal driving would be if your truck started hunting which it isn't suppose to do but maybe with the right combination of weight and speed and grade...

the low gears (1,2,D3) are when you need engine braking - for example going down a steep mountain. Which to pick depends on the steepness of the mountain and the speed you want to be at.

The low gears are also used as a safety when engaging the rear diff lock. The idea is that if you are limited to a low gear you won't try to drive on the highway with the lock on (although it will turn itself off) . This use of the low gears is a function of human engineering in this situation.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My response would be close to Whaleya's. When I tow my boat, the tranny sometimes "hunts" on long up hills. Suprisingly, this occurs more often at less than highway speeds (ie. 50-60). At 65-70 it does fine with the slightly higher RPMs. I have used D3 in these situations for a smoother ride and better acceleration.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The Honda manual only recommends using D3 for engine braking downhill. I do a lot of towing and have found that the best control is to set the cruise control for whatever speed you want to descend the grade. The transmission will downshift at least two gears to keep you within a few mph of the set speed. The downshift function when not in cruise will also work once you step on the brake for a few seconds, but the control does not seem to be as good as with the cruise on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Going to leave the flat lands for the Smoky Mountains next week ta do some leaf peeping and the information in this thread has given me some good ideas about driving on steep hills.

Thanks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts