Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the tire rotation service due geared to some specific mileage count? I know HAL tells us when to change oil via the oil life monitor but at what mileage have you seen the letter indicating tire rotation is due?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes shingles, I use to do the same thing and rotate about every 7500 miles. But now HAL tells us when to do it, just like it tells us when to change oil. I'm just wondering at what mileage people have noticed this service letter come on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
At just about 5,500 miles I got both the '1' and the 'A' service minders, telling me to change the oil and rotate the tires as well. It's at the dealer right now.

I had them look at the windshield whistle and my service writer, who I have known for 10 years and trust like family, told me that that Honda is just a couple of weeks away from coming out with a TSB for the windshield, and that he didn't want to touch it until then. He said he would fix it at my next service.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is interesting but strange. Tire rotation is not set to driving habits in HAL as is the oil life monitor. Yet some people have the light go on at 5,000 miles while others at 10 and 14,000 miles never had the notice come on. I think something must be wrong as a tire rotation should be done earlier, but certainly no later, than 10,000 miles; I can't imagine Honda's service schedule would be programmed for more than that. Also, I don't know why Ebone got both service notices at the same time while the others did not. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I can understand the OLM giving various times of service intervals for oil change based on individual driving habits, engine operating conditions and accumulated engine revolutions, BUT I would think tire rotation would be mostly by miles driven.
5,000 miles is the norm.

jwashow -- got rotation notice @ 7200 miles
NSDevil5 -- got nothing @ 10,500 miles
doubleedutyemt -- got nothing @ 14,000 miles
EBone -- got Notices 1 & A @ 5,500 miles

The above differences seems strange - so much variation.

I wonder how HAL figures tire rotation? You think it would be by miles driven.
Anyone got any ideas or have an answer from a dealer?

Joe.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Whoops

I didn't see shortspark's post. Must have been writting mine while he posted his. I'm very slow at typing.

He is saying same thing I was thinking.

Joe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
HAL had run down to 0% Service Now when I noticed the A. It may have been being displayed sooner but that is when I took note. It's also easy to "overlook" the A, the display is not the best. It's possible that if you change your oil and reset HAL sooner than zero life left, you also reset the service reminder. If true, a software bug.

Only a theory.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
jwashow -- Thanks for the info. Interesting theroy. I'm going to watch for it.

Seams there are so many variables with the OLM or the EOLD (Engine Oil Life Display) as I sometimes call it.

Like when to rest it. Or reseting it before it gets to 0% life.

When it gets to 15% or less you should see "Service Due Soon" message in the information display AND the "Maintenance Minder Indicator" will come on (whatever that is) --I haven't seen that yet.

Thats when the maintenance "item code(s)" 123456 will be displayed.
1 being Rotate Tires
2 being Replace Air Cleaner Element
etc., etc. on page 232 of manual

I imagine these codes will still be displayed when they are due for service after successive resets of the OLM because many of them are do long after oil changes.

Anyway, I hope there isn't a software bug as you mentioned. Maintenance Minder Indicator seems like a nice tool.

Joe

·
Registered
311 Posts
How does HAL know you've changed the oil or rotated the tires? Is it automatic or do you have to know some secret happy dance to reset it (similar to what you have to do to reconfigure the door auto-lock settings)? Sorry if this is in the manual, I don't recall reading it and, honestly, am too lazy to go out to the truck and dig through it right now. :)

Edit: OK, so I dug through my manual and found out how to reset the maintenance display. Not quite a rain dance and very similar to how you reset the "dummy timer" on the Accord. FYI, you just press select until you get to the maintenance minder, then press reset for ten seconds. This will bring up another display to confirm whether or not you really want to reset the maintenance timer, at which point you select yes and press reset once more. Tada, done. :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I just had A and 1 come on at the same time. I think the tire rotation thing is more than just a mileage thing. After reading about all the sensors on the RL in the service manual, it seems entirely possible. Yaw rate, steering, pulse sensor on all 4 wheels, tire pressure monitor, VTM-4, vehicle stability, etc. I bet Hal keeps track of how many turns you've made without moving the vehicle much (during parallel parking) and factors that into the equation. Then again, I could be just hoping too much that HAL is that complicated.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Your theory may be correct regarding tire rotation not being tied just to mileage driven.

It is curious that under "Maintenance Main Items" (pg 232) there are A & B symbols. Symbol "B" includes rotate tires.

But under "Maintenance Sub Items" there are 1 thru 6 symbols.
"1" includes rotate tires.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten a "A" symbol WITHOUT the "1" at the same time as you have.

If so, maybe HAL hasn't determined that tires need rotation yet because the criteria you mentioned hasn't been met yet.

Witch would mean you would rotate your tires when the "B" symbol is displayed at the second oil & filter change regardless when the "1" symbol displays. Meaning time to rotate tires because of mileage.

Does any of this make sense? Speculation, on my part, Hell - I dont know what HAL is thinking.

Joe

L

·
0 Posts
Did my second oil change today along with a diff flush, trany flush, tire rotation for the second time and brake inspection.
$190.00.
Never had a notification telling me to rotate tires and Service Due has been flashing for a few weeks now.
HAL has been telling me that I was over due for the oil change about 1400 miles ago. Im bad. :eek:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with mugen1's assesment of "HAL". I was thinking before I read all the posts, that the computer can differentiate between 10,000 miles of mostly highway driving and 10,000 miles of gravel road/city driving. Mostly I think it would be related to speeds, number of changes in direction, and behavior of the vehicle (yaw, pitch, suspension, etc.).

I am kicking myself now for not paying close enough attention to the maintenance reminder to notice if an A or a 1 or an A1 came on. I wonder if the dealerships/service shops notice? I think I may call mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts