1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Like, want

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The Ford Bronco is expected to make a return for the 2020 model year and will be a direct Jeep Wrangler competitor, with Ford planning to build a full-sized 6th generation Bronco at its Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, Michigan. Our sources tell us that while Ford is in the early stages of planning, the company has purchased Wrangler Unlimited and Wrangler Unlimited Rubicons for benchmarking and is shooting for best-in-class capabilities, striving to exceed the JKU Rubicon's performance in certain trims of the Bronco 6G.
Sounds like Ford is going right at Jeep with intentions of being better. I like it.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like Ford is going right at Jeep with intentions of being better. I like it.
I don't see how the new Bronco could fail. Ecoboost or the original concept mini-diesel would be a total success.

Wiki on the 2004 concept Bronco:

2004 concept
Ford Bronco Concept at the 2004 NY Auto Show

At the 2004 North American International Auto Show, a Bronco concept car was introduced. Some features of the concept car, such as the box-like roof line, short wheelbase, and the round headlamps are features associated with the early Bronco, but this concept car also had a 2.0 L intercooled turbodiesel I4 engine and a six-speed manual transmission. The shown concept also featured Intelligent 4WD system which replaces Control Trac II which not only improves stability but provides better fuel economy as well. It was to use the Ford CD2 platform, but the project was dropped when the newer Ford Escape was revealed, making it unlikely that this Bronco concept will see production.

800px-Ford_bronco_concept.jpg

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I'm guessing it'll be based on a two-door Raptor. Not sure if it'll have a removable SUV cover and on the bed and rollbar like the original did, but that'd be cool and would get them closer to competing with the Wrangler.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
To me, the 2004 concept looks a Hummer, Wangler and Land Cruiser had a 3-way. Never did like the boxy style.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To me, the 2004 concept looks a Hummer, Wangler and Land Cruiser had a 3-way. Never did like the boxy style.
100% agree. Like so many concepts floated by OEM's - the 2004 version is too squared off and gives away far too much family resemblance in favor of modernization. On the other hand, the BroncoG6 version maintains the eyebrows molded into the hood/fender intersection making a clear statement of its lineage. Little doubt that idea would be a roaring success. I sure hope Ford doesn't mess that up like they did the late 70's - all through the 80's Mustang pony car debacle.

Automotive stylists have a nasty habit of going too far when it comes to burying hints of the past. IMO: the latest iterations of Camaro and Challenger do a good job of blending old with new. The Charger? No resemblance to that name what-so-ever. It was good to see Ford return to family resemblance with the latest Mustangs.

Maybe this is just an old guy perspective.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Well, the whole 2 door vs 4 door Charger thing was totally screwed by Chrysler.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
100% agree. Like so many concepts floated by OEM's - the 2004 version is too squared off and gives away far too much family resemblance in favor of modernization. On the other hand, the BroncoG6 version maintains the eyebrows molded into the hood/fender intersection making a clear statement of its lineage. Little doubt that idea would be a roaring success. I sure hope Ford doesn't mess that up like they did the late 70's - all through the 80's Mustang pony car debacle.

Automotive stylists have a nasty habit of going too far when it comes to burying hints of the past. IMO: the latest iterations of Camaro and Challenger do a good job of blending old with new. The Charger? No resemblance to that name what-so-ever. It was good to see Ford return to family resemblance with the latest Mustangs.

Maybe this is just an old guy perspective.
Maybe no coincidence that this is from another old guy, but I agree 1000% on the retro comments.

And wrt Bronco, forget the 2004 version. That 2020 concept looks great IMO!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think that was the point ! ? !
Ford Everest is body on frame utility vehicle. Built on the Ranger platform.
It is the modern successor to the Bronco.

If there is truly a need for greater off road capability then the Everest meets this need using modern packaging.

I don't believe there is enough demand for the Bronco that people think they want to justify the investment.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts

Ford Everest is body on frame utility vehicle. Built on the Ranger platform.
It is the modern successor to the Bronco.

If there is truly a need for greater off road capability then the Everest meets this need using modern packaging.

I don't believe there is enough demand for the Bronco that people think they want to justify the investment.
I would be one who thinks the concept shown in post #1 has a better, more "rugged" look than this Everest; which you'd think would appeal more to buyers of this type of vehicle (think older Jeep Wrangler or Toyota LandCruiser). JMHO.

EDIT: Or yes! Even International Scout or original small Bronco.

·
Registered
434 Posts
While I love the look of the concept bronco I think the lack of 4 doors would kill it. Yes it would have a back seat but with only 2 doors that pretty much limits its sales to young males who for the most part can't afford the 40K price tag that will likely come with it.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
While I love the look of the concept bronco I think the lack of 4 doors would kill it. Yes it would have a back seat but with only 2 doors that pretty much limits its sales to young males who for the most part can't afford the 40K price tag that will likely come with it.
Very interesting observation.... I never really noticed the decline in popularity of 2 door vehicles. I'd be perfectly happy in a 2 door "coupe" or otherwise, but my wife wants no part of them. Here's an interesting take on 2-door vehicles.

But you know what happens when things are out of favor for a long time..... they eventually come roaring right back.... maybe just a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts