Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got over 5500 miles on my Ridgeline, mostly highway driving, and the service light hasn't come on yet. When is the first routine maintenance on this truck. Shouldn't the oil be changed by now?

·
Registered
460 Posts
i have right under 6,500 and the light just came on yesterday. you are online for about 7500 miles, which with highway driving sounds about right. wait until service light comes one before you trade out that special factory break in oil. dont worry.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
HAL will tell you. Whether you choose to ignore him or not is a religious argument, and is your decision. HAL uses your driving style, number of starts, and other factors to determine service intervals. My indicator went on at 5600 miles, but I drive mostly city. I am waiting until HAL says Service Due Now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shovelhd. I'm a pro-HAL kind of guy so I'll wait for the light. After drving with the light on for a while does it then change to service now?

·
Registered
88 Posts
It will change to service due now, and then service past due. It will also start counting up how many miles past you've gone. I ran into this yesterday. Had my oil changed at about 3600 when it was in for windshield work. I now have about 7400 and my past due indicator has been on for about 20 miles. The dealer checked my oil, said it was fine and reset my indicator. He also told me to stick around every 5000 miles on changes. I'm really questioning how accurate these indicators are if it was reset at 3600 and went off at 7400. IMO, pay more attention to your mileage and conditions and stick to schedule, rather than when it tells you to change it. (At least until you're comfortable with what it's reporting)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks NJ Devil5. Do you live in NJ? I do and have only seen two other Ridgelines on the road since April when I bought mine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
tedridge said:
Thanks NJ Devil5. Do you live in NJ? I do and have only seen two other Ridgelines on the road since April when I bought mine.
Same here. I live in South Jersey and have only seen 2 other Ridgelines in my travels. There is a silver one that must be local to me (seen it a few times now), and saw a black one with PA plates.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
It will change to service due now, and then service past due. It will also start counting up how many miles past you've gone. I ran into this yesterday. Had my oil changed at about 3600 when it was in for windshield work. I now have about 7400 and my past due indicator has been on for about 20 miles. The dealer checked my oil, said it was fine and reset my indicator. He also told me to stick around every 5000 miles on changes. I'm really questioning how accurate these indicators are if it was reset at 3600 and went off at 7400. IMO, pay more attention to your mileage and conditions and stick to schedule, rather than when it tells you to change it. (At least until you're comfortable with what it's reporting)

I'd bet hundred bucks your dealer forgot to reset it when they changed the oil and it's now just going off for the first time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. I'm wondering why they're not selling like hotcakes here in NJ. I live in Central West NJ and drive to Jersey City every day on Rt 78. I have yet to see one on the highway. I've only seen two locally around home.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I live in North Jersey and only have seen 3. I silver one with a 4-wheeler in it, a green one on 295 down by the refineries and a black one (without chrome wheels) around my town. I don't see many either, but I also do not drive much...commuter train kinda guy here....unfortunately. Maybe I'll start driving to JC too after yesterday.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You work in JC?

·
Registered
491 Posts
In Manhattan...oh yeah I forgot...I saw a Silver one by Ground Zero yesterday. I'll keep an eye out for you...I'd like to see the chrome wheels on a black one.....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The chrome wheels make a big difference. I work at Newport Tower in JC across from Pavonia/Newport path. From your user name I assume you're in the market for a truck but don't own one?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Actually, I bought a Black RTL/NAV about 2 months ago, I just never changed my name. I put new speakers, bed mat and will be putting a headrest DVD set in sometime soon...and maybe new rims too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had my dealer put in a DVD in the roof behind the sunroof. Works out great. I'd recommend the chrome wheels from Honda too. Easy to clean, look great and you can use the original alloys for Winter use.

·
Registered
491 Posts
sorry...off thread topic but last one. Thanks for your input.

I'm skipping any install that has that much work. The last vehicle that I had a roof DVD installed in I went back 5 times and they still did a crappy job. That was from an afternarket installer that has been around for a long time-and that was also a vehicle that was much more expensive and you would think they would be a little more careful.
The headrest DVD seems less work intensive.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
tedridge said:
Interesting. I'm wondering why they're not selling like hotcakes here in NJ. I live in Central West NJ and drive to Jersey City every day on Rt 78. I have yet to see one on the highway. I've only seen two locally around home.
Consider for a moment that the average number of cars per person in the US is about .7. That means for every 100 people there are 70 cars out there. I believe this came from a survey that only counted adults so it is probably lower but I am not sure. Considering there are several million people in New Jersey, there are probably over a million cars on the road in New Jersey each day. Even if all 10k+ Ridgelines sold to date were sold in New Jersey, this would still account for only 1 percent of all cars on the road in New Jersey each day. So you chance of seeing one on any given day are actually pretty slim. Go out and find an old style VW Bug on the road, I know there are more then 50k of those still carting around and probably a fair number near the ocean in NJ. You may see one but it isn't as likely you are going to see a few. (FACT: in 1993 there were 5.18 Million Vehicles Registered in the state of NJ)

·
Registered
88 Posts
vertrkr said:
I'd bet hundred bucks your dealer forgot to reset it when they changed the oil and it's now just going off for the first time.
I thought the same, but I do remember the Oil Life indicator reading 100%.

·
Registered
88 Posts
tedridge said:
Live here in the central Illinois. My cousin was the trainer on the Devils team back in the mid 90's when they won their first cup, so I've been hooked ever since. They're quite a success story, but unfortuantely don't get near the attention they deserve.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts