Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Where are the bed drainage holes?

16K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  silkiechicken 
#1 ·
Ok, so I see there a few drainage holes in the channeled area under the trunk hood. Are there any others in the bed itself? Thanks in advance. I'm thinking that there must be something near the front of the bed near the window.

#6 ·
You got pics of them extra holes. Just wondering and whats the point if there so small you need to get down and look at bed level just to see them. Its a truck bed and if the holes are that small whats the point for an average truck guy that uses the box. Never had a problem with the "06" I just wash it out now and then and make sure the drain holes around the trunk are clean.

#4 ·
Agree with MJWayne. The holes are small and partly visible in the crack between the front bed wall and the bed floor. One hole on either side wraps around the corner. Unfortunately they are not as accessible as a Ford or Chevy. I know Honda was trying to be elegant but a truck should be utilitarian first and elegant second. Just my opinion.

#7 ·
This is going to get interesting when I start using the truck as a truck in the spring... I'm envisioning using a stick and picking the holes clean. Are they accessible at all? Need to go look.

When I use my dad's truck (Chevy Silverado), the large holes get clogged with hay/dirt/woodchips/poo on a regular basis. A sheep pellet can roll right into one of those and get lodged just enough to back up the flow of water when hosing it out. hahaha.

#11 · (Edited)
I bet this is the conversation that the Honda Engineers had:

Engineer A: We gotta save weight, how do we make it lighter?

Engineer B: I got it, Let's stop the cylinders when they are least needed.

Engineer A: Yeah, brilliant. Ok, we need more weight savings.

Engineer B: Hmm, I know, let's take away the volume knob! Physics 101 no volume = no weight right?!!

Engineer A: I like it!! But wait, that adds fingerprints, fingerprints will increase the weight

Engineer B: Ok, ok, how's this... Let's give them a cloth! that is lighter than a knob, and they can wipe away the extra weight.

* They maniacally get out their calculators punch buttons...

Engineer A: That works! Gimme more ideas!

Engineer B: Hmm... say... aren't small holes half the weight as large holes?

Engineer A: Sh'yea! At least half!

Engineer B: Well, bingo! We use small holes in the bed! SAVES WEIGHT!

Engineer A: Hey we got this licked!! (they high five) ... Good work, gotta run to a meeting and find a way to disable Accessory mode on shut off for the Americans.

Engineer B: What? Don't do that! You are just going frustrate folks!

Engineer A: Ah, it's because of the folks from finance, it's a cost thing, with the Canadian exchange rate... Accessory modes are cheaper there, so we can leave it for them. Plus, we can't make enough accessory modes to outfit each truck.

Engineer B: I see, well that makes sense.

Engineer A: Well, it's already embarrassing enough that we couldn't manufacture enough clocks to fulfill the clock position option in the settings.

Engineer B: Hey, that's not our fault... we simply ran out of time. <wait for it>

* They both belly laugh

Engineer A: That oughtta frustrate those ROC folks. At least that one guy anyway, he made some huge list about all our quirks

Engineer B: Pftftft... eff him

Engineer A: No worries, I uploaded a firmware hack to make his Walk-Away-Lock fail whenever he would like it to work.

* More belly laughs... and they walk away (ironically there is a fast beep heard)... you can hear one still chuckling and saying "small holes, damn that is smart".

Yeah, I bet the conversations went exactly like that. :)

#12 ·
This is the part that made me laugh out loud:

Engineer B: Hmm... say... aren't small holes half the weight as large holes?

Engineer A: Sh'yea! At least half!

Reactions: Nervey
#13 ·
Maybe they only did half of a hole.

Did your Dad ever tell you to go dig half of a hole in the yard? How much is half. Well, if you were going to dig a whole hole, it would be half of that....you can finish the other half tomorrow.

Anywayz, I think I'd just throw a tarp in the bed when hauling small pebbles or sheep dip or whatever...

#14 ·
LOL. Maybe that's why there are 10 holes! Extras for when some fill up with junk. Wonder if hay and straw are going to get stuck in that crack around the edge. Just went out and looked at the bed and it really is a seam with hidden holes. The spilled grain is just hanging out back there at the moment, not seemingly lodged anywhere. Time will tell... and worst case if the bed does fill with water, I'll just drive up a hill.

#16 · (Edited)
See, livestock poo has this way of managing to get places you'd never imagine it would get. A load of pebbles, easy peasy to contain, but when the pebble factory is moving around, somehow things end up between tarp and bed, provided the animal didn't decide to eat the tarp or dig a hole in it, in the 2 minutes it took to lock the gates. Then you end up with poo in the bed, AND a tarp covered in a poo-urine mixture on BOTH sides. The chicken coop roof is 8 feet tall in the front... the highest perch is 4.5 feet off the ground, yet some how, there is chicken poop flung on the ceiling... and the front window which is furthest from the perches... I'll still use a tarp, but eventually and inevitably, stuff manages to escape!

At some point I'll need to make or buy a livestock kennel that fits the back of the RL. I mean, Honda put sheep in the bed in their RL commercial! Granted, they were singing sheep, which did not need to be restrained while the vehicle was in motion, so maybe they have bowel control too.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.