Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have a mic with an aftermarket HU, where did you place the mic?

I once saw a post of someone mounting it above next to the dome lights. Can't find it anymore, but that would be interesting if i could run the wire cleanly up there.

I'm thinking, I'll use double-sided tape and stick it somewhere like between the gauge cluster and steering wheel. Not sure yet.

Post up any pics, thoughts, and ideas you have. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I ran mine up the A post to where that seam is and clipped it onto the seam. Visor up or down clears it and everyone thinks I'm on a home phone.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
In the instrument panel, right side panel, just left of fuel gauge. All wires are tucked behind the housing.

Be sure to mark the white edges of the double stick tape with a black marker. Will look invisible/oem and not 'aftermarket'.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Got mine right on top of rearview mirror double sided tape.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Clipped mine to the sun visor. It would occasionally fall down..

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Top of inner drivers side pillar.
Blue_Tooth_Mic.jpg

Not to annoy anyone with technical stuff, but... All HF mic's employ acoustic noise cancelation facilitated by the slots seen towards the rear of the outer housing. Those slots are wave guides intended to blend ambient noise with voice in the transmit audio path. The basic idea being: Blend out of phase ambient noise + direct noise picked up by the mic diaphragm = up to 10db of noise reduction. In order to maximize the affects of the acoustic noise cancelation, mounting the assembly in (more or less) free space is optimum, as close as possible to the person speaking.

In days gone by, it was common to customize mobile installations by building in a HF mic - usually by disassembling a mic housing, drilling into the pillar cover and placing the mic in the hole. It made for a nice look but bad sensitivity to the spoken word because the mic was overloaded with noise induced by mechanical attachment to a vibration surface and no cancellation of moving vehicle noise. After many return troubleshooting efforts, the lesson was learned. Don't eff around with aftermarket mic's designed for universal installations.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Top of inner drivers side pillar.
View attachment 176177
Similar to mine but I ran it up the windshield a couple inches more to the headliner seam and brought it around to the front so it's straight up from the airbag imprint.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like most are choosing to put the mic higher up in the car. Rear view mirror, sun visor and stuff. Makes sense, to keep it in the open.

Going to place my mic this weekend. Hopefully I can find a way to run it up there without the wires showing and in a inconspicuous spot, if not I'm going to do something like e_piph_a_ny setup.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Mine is in the pocket above the HU, deep near the back, I can barey see it, since I store crap in there, but it's not blocked and they can hear me clear.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Right up the A-pillar and mounted on the windshield next to the rearview mirror. Because of the black "shading" on the glass around the rearview it blends in very well.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
If the clip allows it, sticking it to the top edge of the windshield like that sounds like a pretty good location - especially if you had some tint on the glass.

Chip H.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The mic in my aftermarket HU actually seems to pick things up better than the one in my wife's 2014 Pilot. Of course, part of the difference in sound quality could be due to improved quality of aftermarket products compared to the more mediocre stuff that Honda (and, honestly, most other manufacturers) use for their stock audio products.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone run theirs underneath the speedometer on top of the steering column? I am going to run my BT45-HON3 direct into the back of the HU and figure it will be pretty simple to put beneath the speedometer.

Just curious if anyone had any problems with sound quality mounting it there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone run theirs underneath the speedometer on top of the steering column? I am going to run my BT45-HON3 direct into the back of the HU and figure it will be pretty simple to put beneath the speedometer.
That's what I was thinking as well. Seems like if the mic is farther away from the exterior glass/metal, then it'll have less background noise. Was actually thinking that I might try to position mine into the speedo recess a little.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Handsfree mics employ super-cardiod polar patterns. Conceptually, they are equally sensitive at angles 60° & 300° across its face. What the mic "hears" from its 180° lobe is combined with out of phase energy from 0°, creating very effective passive noise cancellation.

With that in mind, the more space behind the mic the better. Top of driver pillar is ideal. Second to that is somewhere around rear view mirror - as long as the mic has a clear view around its face. The idea being glass is an excellent broad spectrum reflective surface which aids noise cancellation. Top of steering wheel housing works OK for the driver, but that location will be nosier - and less sensitive to to passengers joining in conversation.

Personal preference: top of driver pillar.
Blue_Tooth_Mic.jpg

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Reactions: martinb182

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's mine.
quickshift,

How has the sound quality been with it mounted there? Some other users were reporting on the driver pillar or near the rearview mirror were for optimal audio quality.

Have you noticed any background noise that wasn't canceled out or any issues with people being able to hear you with the mic in that position?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts