Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all over the place and cannot find a list of TSB's on Honda.com.
Anyone know where this info is? I'm interested in reading what it says about my creaky steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
comquat1 said:
I've looked all over the place and cannot find a list of TSB's on Honda.com.
Anyone know where this info is? I'm interested in reading what it says about my creaky steering wheel.
As far as I know Honda doesn't provide public TSB info. They're one of the few that try and hide them.... they don't even cooperate with Alldata.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
There are sites out there that have the TSB's but we'll do our best to list them all right here for you as we become aware of them. We have a TSB's category just for that purpose (and this is it).

Oh, and it is possible for a TSB (or many TSB's) to be "out" but not readily available on the web. If it is a widespread problem, you'd be hearing from Honda anway but we'll do our best to dig them all up.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
comquat1 said:
So how did a guy from the creaky steering whell thread find a tsb number about the creeky wheel?

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15230&postcount=109
Below was printed in the Journal of The Alliance of Automotive Service Providers:

It's Been Said Often In The Automotive Industry That
"You Learn Something Everyday"

(Printed in the Journal of The Alliance of Automotive Service Providers, AASP)

It's been said often in the automotive industry that "You learn something every day."

That brief statement sure held true for me recently. While checking the shop's email, I came across one from a Honda Civic owner in Rhode Island. The writer had stumbled on our web site while browsing the Internet. The writer gave us some compliments on our web site and then went on to question us about a trunk water leak he could not locate on two Honda Civics that he owns. In his lengthy email, he wanted to know if I could find any service bulletins or related information on IATN regarding leaking Civics. I checked our Alldata system and did not come across any bulletins regarding water leaks in the trunk area. In addition, I checked IATN but that search also came up dry. I fired back a reply indicting my results and I also included Alldata's web address so that he could purchase the Honda information if he so desired. I must say that I was surprised when he sent me a response that stated that Alldata would not sell him any Honda service information. To be exact, his reply stated: "I appreciate your checking IATN. Unfortunately, I had already checked alldata.com for the Honda service bulletins before I sent you the previous email and their website stated: American Honda Motor Company has requested ALLDATA to deny access to Acura and Honda repair information. Effective immediately you will not be able to register for access to Acura or Honda vehicle repair information, Technical Service Bulletins or Recalls."

Naturally, I was very concerned with the accuracy of what this guy said Alldata told him. We all know that technical information in this industry is hard enough to get now. The last thing we need is a manufacturer totally slamming the door on us. Now I decided I would go on line to the customer-order area of the Alldata web site. Sure enough, whenever I clicked on Honda or Acura as a model I got the identical disclaimer message as this customer had claimed. It was time to call Alldata directly for some answers.

As luck would have it, my Alldata representative was awaiting a call back from me this week anyway regarding our annual contract renewal. I called my representative to see if he could shed some light on this issue. Interestingly, the Alldata representative was well aware of the Honda/Acura information issue. Even more surprising to me was the fact that this information lockout had been going on for about three years now. Fortunately, he assured me that we as repairers would still have access to the information. Honda/Acura has only requested that Alldata stop selling it directly to vehicle owners. When I asked if any other companies had this odd request, he stated that BMW was the only other company that had requested they suspended sales of information to its vehicle owners.

In closing, I am not sure why Honda/Acura & BMW have decided to withhold service information from its vehicle owners. The same Some on the repair side might say that this is a good thing in that it gives us the technicians a service advantage. I suppose that is true. One could also argue that a person dishing out $30,000 on a vehicle ought to have the right to purchase factory service information for their investment.

As a side note, I did hear back from the Civic owner again. He stated that he called American Honda to inquire as to why he can not purchase the information from Alldata. He quoted the Honda representative as stating: "Because Alldata is an outside company trying to get access to these Honda Service Bulletins for free and then reselling them for a profit."

That excuse does not seem to wash in that they still allow Alldata to sell the information to us as repairers. Who knows? Something tells me we have not heard the last of this issue.

As they say in the automotive service industry, "You learn something every day."

·
Registered
484 Posts
So where does that leave those of us who like to work on our own vehicles?

The Decline of Western Civilization continues :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SSquire said:
So where does that leave those of us who like to work on our own vehicles?

The Decline of Western Civilization continues :rolleyes:

This sounds like what's going on in congress right now. In a nutshell it is a bill that is geared toward giving advantage to the actualy dealer as opposed to independants with regards to being able to diagnose issues and whatnot (this is a very general description as I don't know all of the specifics). But now allowing an end user access to TSB's sure sounds alot like what is bouncing around in Congress. :(

I like to fix things on my cars myself and not knowing how to address these "non-recall" issues is sure disheartening.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I called the dealership (Huntington Honda on Long Island, NY) where I bought my RL and asked to speak to the service manager and he was quite open with me about existing TSBs for the RL. He looked it up on his computer and only could find the steering wheel and tailgate TSBs. He also said that some issues get addressed on assembly line before they become TSBs, especially when only a limited range of Vin numbers escaped with the defect (maybe I don't believe that one completely but I guess it could be possible).

L

·
0 Posts
BillB said:
He also said that some issues get addressed on assembly line before they become TSBs, especially when only a limited range of Vin numbers escaped with the defect (maybe I don't believe that one completely but I guess it could be possible).
That statement is true. Honda would rather head the issue off at the pass so to speak than have to put the country in a state of panic. So if they can catch it before it becomes a TSB, they will. I saw evidence of that when the Odyssey and Pilot recall came out last year with the transmission gear issue. The press got a hold of that story and went bizerk with it in the papers and the calls we got from customers would have curled your toes. ie: "WHY DIDN'T YOU PEOPLE CALL ME AND TELL ME ABOUT THIS. NOW I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DRIVING AROUND IN A VAN WITH MY CHILDREN WONDERING WHEN ITS GOING TO BREAK DOWN AND PUT MY CHILDREN'S LIFE AT RISK. I'LL NEVER COME TO YOUR DEALERSHIP AGAIN."
I was CSD during that time and I went home in tears a few times with the way people accused ME of building a defective vehicle.
Be patient my friends. Honda, as all of you know, is a very reliable company and really does have the best interest of the consumer at heart. I speak of this with great admiration for them. Not many companies care on the corporate level like they do.
They'll make it right.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Our Pilot was affected by that recall (defective lot of transmission second gear parts). Honda sent us a letter explaining what to do, mentioning that there was no safety issue. We made the appointment and got it fixed within a few days.

I think the root cause of this behavior is that word travels so fast on the Internet, and the facts are often gazillion-hand and multiply-interpreted, so things get blown way out of proportion. People hear about these things weeks before the letter arrives, and by then, they're in a panic. Surely it must be true if I found it on the Internet. I'm gonna get killed if you don't fix it now.

L

·
0 Posts
shovelhd said:
Our Pilot was affected by that recall (defective lot of transmission second gear parts). Honda sent us a letter explaining what to do, mentioning that there was no safety issue. We made the appointment and got it fixed within a few days.

I think the root cause of this behavior is that word travels so fast on the Internet, and the facts are often gazillion-hand and multiply-interpreted, so things get blown way out of proportion. People hear about these things weeks before the letter arrives, and by then, they're in a panic. Surely it must be true if I found it on the Internet. I'm gonna get killed if you don't fix it now.
On the nose!!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Manufacturers do not have to provide the information for repair information for free, but it must be at a very "reasonable" cost. If what we have read on the posts is true, then Honda is walking a very fine line bordering on federal and state antitrust violations. From what I have read, though, I don't believe it is true. If you go the the Service Express site, you may purchase repair information including TSBs. If the subscription is at a reasonable cost, then Honda has nothing to fear. I don't blame Honda for not sharing with Alldata. I had my own shop at one time, which is still run by my brother. He subscribes to Alldata and it isn't cheap. Alldata is making a fortune by charging for information that it receives at a reasonable cost from the manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Alldata is making a fortune by charging for information that it receives at a reasonable cost from the manufacturers.
Data is KING. The old adage "it is who you know not what you know" does not work anymore. In the financial industry, those suppliers of information who figure out how to use the economies of scale to consume and then deliver the most data in the most effective manner are the ones we end up buying that data from. If it was easy to consume TSB data from car manufacturers, no one would need the Alldatas of the world. Maybe one day we will be able to just go to a web site and pull this info off independantly, but then why would a manufacturer make this an easy task when it would result in them having to repair things for free that might not need being part of a safety recall program. The windshield noise TSB is a great example as it costs Honda plenty of $ to replace a windshield, but if you did not know this was available to you, would 100% of us go in to get this repaired or would some just absorb the noise as something that just is as it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts