Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to write a thread, but still don’t know where it should be. I guess my “beef” is the gas mileage. Honda has been known for their quality, resale value and better than average gas mileage. What happened with the last couple trucks? (Pilot, Element & CR-V) I originally purchased the CR-V for its better gas mileage, which is now not much to talk about from a 4 cylinder (19-24). My father-in law worked for GM for whole his life and buys only GM cars (I guess the deep discount has some thing to do with that). So when his latest purchases was Saturn VUE, I was surprised that has a Honda Pilot motor. And has 100% better gas mileage than the pilot too. Later he did found that Honda traded their 6 cylinder motor to GM for a diesel from GM owned Isuzu. All the time, I was hoping, that this motor will found its way into this truck, since the gas prices are not going to go down anytime soon, as we are reaching Gas prices of Europe. Since I came back from Europe last week and see the diesel in a Honda again not to be seeing on these shores, in Accord kombi (station wagon). I travel a lot and would sacrifice something for better fuel economy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess the price of gas is still too "cheap" for North American manufacturers to care or for enough consumers to demand diesel engines. Hard to believe but there still isn't one available in any light-duty truck. The big disappointment to me with the Ridgeline was that Honda didn't implement their own cylinder deactivation technology they already use on that engine with the Odesssy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe somewhere in the Honda newroom I read the cyliner de-activation could not be used on the Ridgeline or the Pilot due to the extra drag created by the front of those vechicles as compared to the Ody's.

·
Registered
167 Posts
At $2.60 a gallon, that's too pricey for me even though the increased mileage might offset it. Besides that, there is the noise and smell--I know they've gotten better with newer models but it's still there. I would be more interested if they came out with a diesel hybrid. That would be innovative and for me, innovation/uniqueness is what attracts me to the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
13 Posts
noise and smell?

who cares

close the doors

roll up the windows

run the ac

and get some mpg in a ride that has some room

·
Registered
7 Posts
America is not diesel auto friendly. I understand there is a particulate emmision issue (diesel tend to be bad there). I can not understand the logic. Europe is quite crowded and there are many diesel offerings by many manufactors. It's Ok there but not so good here. I do not know how VW stays in the diesel auto game here, but; others do not seriously play. A truck would tend to be an ideal platform for a diesel with its stong pulling ability.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
European diesel are much cleaner formula than US diesel, with new diesel designed engines, compared to the old diesel engines from the past. No more sounding like lawnmower and the engine sounds like every other gas engines, dark clouds when reving the engine, the smell is gone. If honda do decide on diesel, more likely the engine will be Isuzu made engines. my $0.02

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't see why everyone wants a diesel engine so bad...is a little torque worth all that extra money? Have you went to the gas station and looked at the price of it lately? Some days it is more than gas!

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
When Jeep announced the new version of the Jeep Liberty with a CRD diesel engine, I started to pay attention to diesel fuel prices here in FL. At that time, they were consistently 10 cents per gallon CHEAPER than regular unleaded.

Now, the price is much higher, sometimes reaching 10 cents per gallon HIGHER than premium unleaded.

I think I remember reading somewhere (exactly where I cannot remember) a while ago that tougher standards were going into effect this year regarding diesel fuel. If I remember correctly, the fuel is supposed to be cleaner burning. I wonder how much this may have to do with the rising cost of diesel fuel at the pump.

·
Registered
112 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that diesel fuel is identical to #2 heating oil, except for the addition of a dye in the heating oil.

Very interesting when you consider the amount of road tax on each gallon of diesel fuel :eek:

For any with evil thoughts :rolleyes: - the fine for using heating oil in a vehicle used on public roads is pretty nasty.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Dnucci,

How would anyone find out (besides catching you putting heating oil in your car)?

·
Registered
112 Posts
zero,

Here in the U.S. it is not so big of an issue. I spent 8 months in England, where I found that they would run on used cooking oil (deep frying oil) and a bit of kerosene. The price of fuel was a lot higher there ($5/gal).

The only reason I know about this is that I grew up on a farm. We "had" to use diesel fuel in any tractor that might go on the road, but used heating oil for the hot houses.

As for your question - "How would anyone find out?" the same way most people get caught - the blab too much :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts