Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obsessing more about my classics than my RL, I have learned to pay attention to rust, and to learne what to worry about and what to not worry about.

Where is your RL rusting or experiencing corrosion problems?

Mine?
- doors where upper door seals end about mid door (pics later)
- hood latch wouldn't move and bent, needed lubing.
- undercarriage: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=840057
- concerned about the lower door seals that held in water when clogged with dirt

Of coarse there's also chipped paint, but I figure external body rust is obvious.

Anyone else have rust concerns?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I undercoat yearly with Rust-Check......ZERO problems with rust and all moving parts as hinges etc.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Front leading edge of hood, not around latch, some rust starting on doors and also under step plates on rocker panels. I will touch up the less obvious spots this summer but the hood will need to be completely re-painted. Can't complain too much as the truck is 8 years old, and sits in the driveway all year round.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have rust on the hood in a couple spots, the paint is bubbling there and changing color. There is rust on the drivers side door in the typical weld joint location, it's probably on the other doors too but I haven't checked. I have rust right around the lower portion of the fuel door and the upper fender just below it, it's bubbling, cracking and paint discoloration there.

My exhaust J pipe flex joint rusted to the point to where it is no longer a single piece, my cat shields are in bad shape too.

The cancer is real.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I had some minor rust on the control arms and frame. Nothing serious.

The benefits of living in the South are no salt on the roads. And getting to stay home from work when it does snow.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Only on chipped paint spots for paint/exterior (couple on front of hood, couple on front fender where someone scraped against it with something. All very small (bb size & smaller).
Cat shields yes! Nature of the beast I think.
Not bad at all on exhaust & frame members.... just starting to show traces.
Agree that mild climate is beneficial again in this area.
Never garaged.

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
The only rust I've ever seen on any of my three Ridgelines was on one of the bolts in the bed of my 2010 after a salt shaker overturned during a move. I immediately swept it out as well as I could, but a few grains remained in the head and caused it to rust. I replaced it with a new Ridgeline to solve the problem.

·
Registered
975 Posts
As a man who has nearly always lived in the rust belt as can say:

Fifties cars---rusted bad
sixties cars---rusted bad
seventies cars--bad
Eighties cars --improving

Ta Da-- Honda Ridgelline --not a problem

·
Registered
170 Posts
No rust. Slight signs of it on the frame and suspension parts including the independent suspension. Sprayed a special rust stopper over EVERYTHING important underneath. Still looking good. I have never seen any rust on a RL or a Pilot. I think the bottom rocker and door panels on the bottom along with the rear bottom parts of the sheet metal should be replaced with poly material. This is where all the rust is on most cars, especially trucks. Wouldnt make the body shops happy tho. That sheet metal doesnt protect you in a crash anyway. All that "flesh" metal is like paper on impact. Frame and subframe and airbags do all the work.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So mine is coming up on ten years of ownership. I bought it 12/30/2005. I wonder if Honda has any kind of rust warranty. There are spots on the drivers side that are definitely worse than the passenger:
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1426564357.257316.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1426564374.306888.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1426564393.689359.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1426564415.156095.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1426564433.189414.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1426564449.223055.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1426564467.706863.jpg

^^ drivers side

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What part of the country are you located in? That's some pretty serious rust.

Philadelphia area. Lived outside whole life. Never washed underneath. Heck, barely even ever washed.

I'd be willing to guess within 50 sq miles of where my truck lived most of it's life. :)

Nope. Philadelphia area.

Serviced at Honda dealer pretty much every service. They never mentioned the rust to me at all. Just give me the bill and tell me when it's time to do brakes and tires.

I have owned the truck for almost ten years and never thought much to care for it, especially the undercarriage. I'm starting to think I should begin doing my own maintenance.

Suggestions?

Any rust that should be covered under a warranty of any type?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am guessing that due to the lack of response, most people would recommend that I get under there and start using some rust preventing solutions after a good cleaning and maybe some rust remover.

I have some cans of basic rust prevention/remediation that isn't very aggressive, like that rust dissolving primer and naval jelly. I also have phosphoric acid which isn't smart to use unless you want to be really aggressive. Maybe the permatex spray paint that supposedly dissolves rust. Is the easiest stuff to use.

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/automotive/maintenance/auto-and-marine-body-repair/permatex-rust-treatment?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=CjwKEAjwiq-oBRC9gvHCsvDdn2cSJACV3DFRhahDHBJ7JN1clEtNi-y7BaZ0FQTQFWyXpmp190vQIBoCR0Tw_wcB

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
Any rust that should be covered under a warranty of any type?
For 5 years (no mileage limit) from the date of purchase, Honda will replace any body panels (i.e., hood, fender, roof, tailgate, outer door skin) that rust completely through provided the penetration is the result of a factory defect and not due to dents, dings, scrapes, scratches, sanding, rock chips, etc.

This does not include rust on one side of the surface or even both sides unless it penetrates completely through to the other side. The frame or a suspension component could rust so badly your wheels fell off and that would not be covered. Fortunately, that takes a while. :)

In other words, have you ever actually known anyone who got a new door or hood or tailgate under a corrosion warranty? :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts