Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find snow tires anywhere. I have kinda looked online and I stopped in to discount tire and was told that didn't have any or even know of anyone making snow tires that would match the stock tires. they also check other tire sizes that would fit the rim, there was nothing to be found. I live in Flagstaff, Arizona where we get a pretty decent amount of snow (130 inches overall last winter) and i have found that snow tires greatly increase traction in snowy and icy conditions. Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here is a list of tires from Cooper:

http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/selectorSize1.asp

I have always bought Cooper and they have been less expensive and great in snow.
You should have a Cooper Dealer in AZ..

Edit: link did not work so I changed it to this one for tire size..Just put in size (245 65 17) and it will show you available tires from Cooper.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Swampler, I have been a Tire Rack customer for years and have nothing but good things to say about them. Every tire is different in one way or another. The differences are substantial. Since it is very difficult for people to be able to determine which one is really the best choice, the information that the Tire Rack provides is by far the best that I have seen. They have customer reviews and rate each tire. The tires that you select for comparison can be seen side by side along with manufacturers specifications. I recently did some extensive research for replacement tires for my wife's Accord and my daughters Element. The Tire Racks information was once again outstanding. The information posted by members on the ElementOwnersClub site confirmed what I found the Tire Rack site. Their customer service and sales order department is absolutely first rate. I had a question that I needed clarification about and a quick telephone call got me the answer. I compared net prices for supposedly comparable tires at Sears, Sam's Club, Bastian Tires, and several other local and internet sites. I ended up with better tires for less money by purchasing through the Tire rack. Importantly, I am very confident that, after doing the research and speaking with the fine folks at the Tire Rack, that I made the right decisions. There is no trial and error or second guessing involved. I ordered 8 tires from them and they arrived in two days, one day earlier than expected. My Honda dealer mounted and balanced them. We couldn't be happier. If you need to have tires mounted and balanced and your dealer can't do it for you, the Tire rack has partnership arrangements with installers and dealers all across the country. Spend some time on their site. You will see what I mean.
Oh, and the Tire Rack is a ROC sponsor. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mental,
Listen to everybody and go to Tire Rack....it's the best way to go. Especially when a local company can't supply you with tires. Tire Rack is great. The best selection, great prices, and excellent assistance....all from your own home. They've been the best tire resource I've ever had the pleasure to utilize.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
Swampler, I have been a Tire Rack customer for years and have nothing but good things to say about them. ...
I ordered from them once and it seemed that by the time I paid for shipping, mounting, balancing, and disposal of my old tires, I didn't save much over buying local. Plus, buying local would have gotten me free rotation for life (but I do this myself anyway). Maybe I need to check again about using their partners for the mounting? Do their partners give you better pricing for the mounting, etc?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mental,

As I'm sure you know, real snow tires have a designated symbol on the sidewall. This symbol is a mountain/snowflake. These tires grip much better in cold conditions and use a softer tread compound. While a m/s rating is good for all-around traction and will help in snow, a dedicated snow tire with the symbol I described is the best for winter driving.
As a side note....I just had my Ridge in the snow with the OEM tires and it worked very well. Snow tires will cost tons of money and really aren't needed in my situation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when i say snow tires i mean studded snow tires. if i buy from tire rack that means i have to pay someone to install them to. discount tire has great prices and lifetime warranty.

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
If you choose to purchase tires from TireRack.com, please do so by clicking one of our links on this site to get to their site. That will show that we referred business to them and we'll get credit for it.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
mentallyabused said:
when i say snow tires i mean studded snow tires. if i buy from tire rack that means i have to pay someone to install them to. discount tire has great prices and lifetime warranty.
I thought you said discount tire doesn't have any??? Tirerack is an alternative and shouldn't cost any more, and maybe less, than buying locally. Now, if you have discount tire locally, this may not be the case. Regardless, find what you want at tirerack, then have discount order them for you if need be.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
OK, went looking. Tire rack doesn't have any studded snow tires for the RL. Did find these though:

Discoverer M+S

SUV Winter

The Cooper Discoverer MS snow tire has "Snow-groove" design technology. The Cooper Discoverer ms snow tire Provides biting edges for excellent snow and ice traction without reducing tread element stiffness. Capitalizes on the higher traction characteristics of "snow on snow" versus "snow on rubber." A dense zig-zag sipe pattern further enhances winter performance while maintaining excellent wet traction. The sipes on the Cooper Discoverer MS snow tires are deep to provide performance benefits throughout the life of the tire. Strategically-placed stud pin holes on the cooper discoverer ms provide enhanced stud retention while delivering optimum traction on ice. The cooper discoverer ms tires are M+S Rated. Meets RMA severe snow definition.(Studding available at extra charge).
Link is here.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
With 4 studded snow tires on a Ridgeline I bet that you will be able to climb telephone poles and ease back down! I hope that you don't give up too much ride comfort and handling as a trade off for the additional traction. Everyone's needs are different. My needs are for 98% on road and very mild use off road. I am looking forward to our first deep snow storm to go out and explore the boundaries of my, um...., Ridgeline. Ya that's it, my Ridgeline in the snow! I am curious to hear what your truck will be able to do.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have to ask this question, do people really find studded tires are necessary in common winter driving situations? We used to have chains back in the mid-70s but I can't remember the last time studded tires or chains were even a thought. I can understand under some extreme conditions but for what most people run into it seems a little overkill. We get a fair amount of snow around here also, but I don't think it has much to do with volume, but rather more to do conditions after a storm. Around here it usually melts away fairly soon after snowing. Even up in Maine it tends to melt fairly quickly, letting the roads get back to raw tar in not to long after most storms. Although last year we did keep snow on the road for a good couple weeks for the first time in a long time.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
They are around here where we have a lot of hills combined with temps that hover around freezing when it snows. The slipperiest snow is close to the freezing point. The colder it gets, the easier it is to drive on snow. When it snows here, the wet snow at stop light areas gets immediately packed into a sheet of ice due to tire spinning and compaction. We also get a fair amount of black ice. Add to that the fact that most people here don't know beans about driving in snow or ice.
Fortunately, these conditions don't occur very often here, so I stay off the roads and just let them have at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts