Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 2006-11 model year RL's, Honda originally said to use 5-20 motor oil. 2012-14 Honda says 0-20 motor oil.

Honda is now saying that 2006-11 RL's can also run on 0-20 oil.

I always change my oil based on the MM, and I have always used Mobile 1 synthetic 5-20 with a Honda filter. Is there any reason to change to 0-20? Is there really THAT much of a difference between 0 and 5?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So, 2006-11 model year RL's, Honda originally said to use 5-20 motor oil. 2012-14 Honda says 0-20 motor oil.

Honda is now saying that 2006-11 RL's can also run on 0-20 oil.

I always change my oil based on the MM, and I have always used Mobile 1 synthetic 5-20 with a Honda filter. Is there any reason to change to 0-20? Is there really THAT much of a difference between 0 and 5?
I would not change if it were me. Theoretically, any difference will come with cold startups and initial mileage when the engine is cold. Once warm, the "20" rating is the same. You are using M1 which is synthetic. All 0-20 oils are synthetic as far as I know.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thank you. The more I've read about it, I guess if I lived where the temps dropped below freezing there may be some benefit. Here in good ole boring weather CA with a low of 58 degrees in February, 5-20 is fine.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I use Mobil1 EP 0W-20 and I can say there is a difference in the early winter mornings with start up when it's around 0 degrees. This last winter was so cold and it seemed to start better than it did the winter before when I had 5W-20 in it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
437 Posts
Call me old but i cannot put 0-anything in my engine--10-30 for me Syn too--

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
5w-30 for 06 for me in any climate CA has to offer. Some say 5w-30 continued to be the recommended oil in other world markets even after Honda specified lighter oils locally and that the change was CAFE related.

Lots of previous debate and discussion here and other Honda forums. I certainly don't know about any changes that may have come along in later years that may have increased the benefit of lighter oils, but for 06 I'm confident that 5w-30 won't harm anything and may have some protection benefits.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've used 5W-30 and 5W-20 high mileage in my truck, to me it seems like I get slightly better MPG in my truck with the 5W-20. I have an aftermarket external oil pressure guage and I can tell you that with my truck (200k miles) the pressure difference between the two is not enough to notice.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
There is always a controversy over oil viscosity. I agree the differences are quite small when talking 0 vs. 5 or 20 vs. 30 except maybe at temp extremes.
There seems to be a safety margin leaning to heavier weights when given a choice with not a lot of substance to support it.
The reality is that modern oils are constantly improving, probably at a faster rate than our vehicles.
If you want an edge, use a full synthetic. Not getting into hair-splitting over Group III vs. IV, etc. I am talking about a synthetic over the the counter oil that is a major brand, and not a blend.
Even then the line between a premium dino vs. synthetic is also quite thin IMO.
Beyond that I would just follow the owner's manual. More effort these days to apply what is recommended for all 50 states, so it works anywhere you may be at any time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts