Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual says the Ridge is designed to run on regular. I've used the mid-grade in all of my GM and Dodge trucks and SUVs. Some guys at work say if you don't use high-test you won't get the best milage or performance.

Any comments...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have 1500 miles on my RL and have only run on Regular (usually Shell). So far I am averaging 16.5 city and 20.5 highway.

I asked the Honda Techs the Regular vs Premium question when I bought my '03 CRV and they told me that the engine is designed to run on Regular, but suggested running a tank of Premium through if I was going on a longer run just to give it a bit of a cleaning.

So, I guess the recommendation is a little of both.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My understanding is that this is an ultra low emissions vehicle designed to run fine on regular unleaded. I would bet that any increased mileage you would get from premium gas would be offset by the extra 20 cents or so a gallon (in California) that you would pay for the premium. I live in So Cal traffic, have put on 3000 miles, and I am getting 18 mpg around town and got 20.2 on a road trip to Vegas. I believe the secret to better gas mileage is rather simple: take it easy on the gas peddle.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ohhhh boy, this can be a heated topic. Here's my take:

The engine has electronic timing and from Honda's white papers it will advance or retard to run at max effiencieny. Different grades/octane only differ in their ability to combust/ignite at a different pressure/temp. Premium does not have more energy per unit volume than regular. You will see a very minor increase in power/mpg using Premium only if the engine will advance the timing compared to regular. The Ridgeline to my best knowledge will do this, thus why they recommend premium for towing. If only concerned about mpg the question remains if your actually saving money using premium to get better mpg. I think the higher cost of premium is more than what you'd gain/save with the slightly higher mpg.

As for cleaning agents I'd stick with Top Tier gas as all grades have the same percentage of cleaning agents and contain 5 times more than mandated by the EPA. TOP TIER gas is a recently established new standard formed by BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota. Try a google search on 'top tier gas' if you want to learn more.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Vertrkr. It could get heated. That's why I asked the question!

L

·
0 Posts
My 'Line turned 4K just this morning and I burn regular. Runs great. I get about 16 city and 21 highway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Most people think in terms of miles per gallon of fuel. However one person toald me that one should think in terms of dollars per mile. With that said if you used a prenium fuel and paid mor for it and got significant more miles out of a tank, the dollars per mile would be less for the same amount gallon-wise of fuel.

·
Registered
774 Posts
steveberger said:
The owners manual says the Ridge is designed to run on regular. I've used the mid-grade in all of my GM and Dodge trucks and SUVs. Some guys at work say if you don't use high-test you won't get the best milage or performance.

Any comments...
With regular fuel approaching $2.30 a gallon in my area, my RL's engine would need to start knocking for me to have an excuse to spend even more on fuel than I am already! With 600 miles so far, my engine seems to do just fine on regular fuel.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I don't think we should be talking in terms of regular or premium, but in terms of octane rating which is what Honda is concerned about, and their recommendation is 86 or more if remember correctly. It's on the back of your quick start guide.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just got a RTL 8 days ago. I put filled my tank this weekend with Sunoco 87 octane. It runs the same but I notice it rumbles now right when it is started, which it didn't do before. Before when I turned it over I could barely hear the engine. Now there is a noticable roar that fades quickly. I am attributing it to the gas, but don't know. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want to keep the everything clean use RXP. Here is the web site.
California did a test on RXP. Even went so far as to petition the EPA to use RXP additive in their gas instead of MTBE or Ethenol.
EPA of course said no.

http://www.rxp.com/master.htm

Once every 4th tank for the life of the truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
denvrfan said:
With regular fuel approaching $2.30 a gallon in my area, my RL's engine would need to start knocking for me to have an excuse to spend even more on fuel than I am already! With 600 miles so far, my engine seems to do just fine on regular fuel.
$2.30 a gallon!? Wow, I'd kill for gas that cheap. Try $2.69 for 87! So Calif. here

·
Registered
774 Posts
05blackonblack said:
$2.30 a gallon!? Wow, I'd kill for gas that cheap. Try $2.69 for 87! So Calif. here
'Tis truly a pleasure to live in overpriced SoCal (lived one year in Laguna Niguel about 11 years ago). You have my sympathy.

L

·
0 Posts
I was just curious what people are paying for gas today, April 20th. I'm in the Greater Cleveland area and gas is currently $1.989 for 87.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Filled up Monday with regular (86 or 87 octane) - 1.959 a gallon here in South Jersey, and it is "no self service" by law.

Weird thing is that other stations on the same road were as high as 2.179.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
$2.05 in Western MA.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
$2.25 for regular unleaded here in Melbourne, FL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts