Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2011 Ridgeline RTL
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a hitch and see options from Hidden, Curt, Draw Tite and other no names on flea-bay.

I constantly drive around and see rusty and terrible looking hitches on trucks (non RL) that are to new to have a hitch look bad.

Who has a great looking hitch and who has a terrible looking hitch after x-amount of years?

· Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,995 Posts
My Honda hitch looks good after 200,000 miles of over the road in 4 states.

To my knowledge they don't make a hitch out of surgical stainless steel. That would be the only way to make a hitch completely rust proof. OK, there is titanium.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
This is what I recall from 06, but Curt powder coats their hitches so mine still looks like it did when i installed it 7 or 8 years ago? My how time flies!

I think its a great choice and one of the least visible ones, but it also changes the last rubber doughnut muffler mount. Not everyone has liked the arrangement. You can view the Curt instructions online.

For me, I'd hands down buy another Curt, but its worth searching the ROC for other opinions. You also have to make or buy some sort of bracket for the electrical connections because the Honda harness is designed to mount directly to the OEM hitch, which of course is a plus for the OEM.

· Registered
251 Posts
I suggest using an asphalt undercoating on the hitch; the brushable kind. I've had luck with Amsoil MPHD for bolts and threads. Not pretty but you won't rust. There will always be rust where the paint gets rubbed off.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
This is what I recall from 06, but Curt powder coats their hitches so mine still looks like it did when i installed it 7 or 8 years ago? My how time flies!

I think its a great choice and one of the least visible ones, but it also changes the last rubber doughnut muffler mount. Not everyone has liked the arrangement. You can view the Curt instructions online.

For me, I'd hands down buy another Curt, but its worth searching the ROC for other opinions. You also have to make or buy some sort of bracket for the electrical connections because the Honda harness is designed to mount directly to the OEM hitch, which of course is a plus for the OEM.
I read that about the rubber doughnut when I installed my Curt hitch. But I saw no need to do that. What did I overlook?

· Registered
1,316 Posts
I read that about the rubber doughnut when I installed my Curt hitch. But I saw no need to do that. What did I overlook?
Yes, I didn't initially do it either because it changed the rubber doughnut from the muffler hanging from the doughnut to the doughnut pushing the muffler up, which didnt seem like the best option.

All was well and good until I drove on some particularly rutted roads and the muffler hit the hitch just a little. I ended up making another "doughnut like" loop with a piece of heater hose to suspend the muffler hanger between the OEM upper hanger and the lower Curt hanger. It just stabilized the bounce by probably an 1/8 of and inch and never a knock since.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words and I don't think I'm describing this well, but if you haven't heard an occasional knock perhaps its just a slight difference in the spacing on our trucks. I can post a pic tomorrow if you are interested.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
I figured that's all it was. I've never noticed any noise.

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,591 Posts
My 09 RL's factory frame hitch still looks new. There is no rust except where it get's stressed from the ball mount receiver (little spots in the corners) that's easily wipe off and covered with touchup paint.

The biggest rust problem I have is with the towing ball; but I can take care of that by putting grease on the ball before it's hooked up to a trailer. Then there is no metal-on-metal rubbing without lubrication.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.