Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Which is uglier, the RL or the Chevy SSR?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waited for the release of the SSR for a couple of years and when it finally came out, I didn't like the looks. I barely knew about the RL when it came out, but bought one within days of seeing one despite an underlying feeling that I might be buying an ugly truck. It was because of the ride of course, but I never even test drove the SSR because I know it is ugly - sort of.;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Grok Lobster said:
I waited for the release of the SSR for a couple of years and when it finally came out, I didn't like the looks. I barely knew about the RL when it came out, but bought one within days of seeing one despite an underlying feeling that I might be buying an ugly truck. It was because of the ride of course, but I never even test drove the SSR because I know it is ugly - sort of.;)
It's too hard to pick, as I own one of each, but I much prefer driving the SSR.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is that?

Can we get a side-by-side picture to help out the voting?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Grok Lobster said:
Why is that?

The 390 horses have a little to do with it. I'll see what I can do picture wise once it's daylight again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Grok Lobster said:
Looks like pictures aren't necessary, but here goes
DSC00825.JPG

DSC00826.JPG

DSC00827.JPG

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I almost want to change my vote after seeing the pictures. But they don't show the rear fenders so well, which is the feature that I don't like.

Thanks for the pix. I expected a swing in the vote with the pictures, but apparently not. It is a biased forum.:D And the SSR doesn't come in SILVER!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I considered the SSR but then figured it was more a sport truck without the utility part. It seems small and more for fun than anything. My wife probably would have strung me up if I had ever really looked at it.

But I definitely think that it isn't as nice looking as the Ridgeline. I think I mostly liked it because of the commercial of it with the corvette and other new Chevy vehicles. I really want a Corvette one of these days.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Grok Lobster said:
It is a biased forum.:D And the SSR doesn't come in SILVER!
Ahhhh, but it DOES!

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
I think the SSR looks like a descendant of a Ridgeline that mated with a VW Beetle!

Call me demented, but I think they both look neat. However, being more of a practical person, I much prefer the Ridgeline. I wonder, (Notachevy) after driving the Ridgeline do you feel a little cramped inside the SSR? It probably feels like a sports car.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There is something wrong with the poll.;) There is no choice for "None of the above". I like the appearance of both of them, but then again, there is no accounting for some peoples taste.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think the SSR is way better looking, but it doesn't have the function (and likely not the reliability) of the RL. I own a RL, but had to vote for the SSR.

I obviously don't buy something solely on its appearance.

·
Registered
668 Posts
RTL44 said:
I think the SSR is way better looking, but it doesn't have the function (and likely not the reliability) of the RL. I own a RL, but had to vote for the SSR.

I obviously don't buy something solely on its appearance.
Dude, I know everyone has their own opinion, but that thing is just the ugliest 'whatever" i have ever seen, I can't believe they made it. Who would buy that thing. I am embarassed just thinking about it. no ofense intended! really.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lowrider90 said:
Who would buy that thing?
Someone that lives in sunny SoCal!! :) You do know that it is a convertible, right? As with the RL, when you ride inside it doesn't matter what it looks like from the outside.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Both trucks have their unique markets and abilities. It's like asking someone to choose which looks better, an apple or a rose. The SSR is a pretty good looking truck, but I think Chevy overdid it. The vehicle has no real PRACTICAL ability as a truck. Sure, it has a bed, but it was never really intended to haul anything that a truck would be expected to haul, kinda like the Lincoln Blackwood. Additionally, the SSR is WAY to expensive. I think Chevy just tried to combine too many things into one vehicle. Is it a roadster, a hot rod, a convertible, or a truck? Wait, it's all four. NO manufacturer can reliably pull off these combinations in one vehicle without making SERIOUS sacrifices. The SSR has some awesome traits to it. I think it has an awesome muscular stance. I think the convertible top is ingenious, but to me, that's where it ends. But hey, NO vehice ever built will suit all tastes. As for the Ridgeline, Honda had a specific goal. They wanted a truck that would do what 90% of all truck buyers really want in a truck. Then, based on that, they added a body that had to fit around all ofo that, and still look macho while standing out. I didn;t like the looks initially, but now I LOVE it, I think it's a great looking truck, and I firmly belive that the usefulness of the vehicle make it that much more attractive. I'm sure SSR owners will say the same thing about their trucks. So in closing, although I chose the SSR as being uglier, this is really an unfair poll as, well, it would be like going to a Chevy board and asking which truck is better, Chevy or Ford?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts