Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I looked around and can't make my mind up on which brand of Sun-Roof visor to get. Weather Tech gets good reviews as does the Honda one. Even though some have said the Honda one is rather large and sometimes leaks around the installation clips. The Lund seemed to get a thumbs down.

I would like to hear from anyone that removed one type and tried another with greater success. Or even if you had reason to remove it for none.

Is there one that attaches without the need for clips?
Do they all offer the same amount of wind noise reduction?
Are they all the same color? (I have AVS wind deflectors for the hood and doors and would like to match them).
Has your model rattled/vibrated much?
Did it cause paint damage?
Does garbage/leaves etc accumulate under it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sorry I'm late.
I had a Weathertech sunroof deflector on and it
vibrated terribly.Luckily the vendor let me return it.
I also had a hood deflector that broke at a mounting tab.
Both products have been replaced by Honda OEM.
They seem to be a little heavier duty to me.
I did shy away from the OEM window deflectors becuase
they are glued on.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich.

I have decided on the WeatherTech Moonroof Visor due to its shape/size. Got the following reply from Weathertech regarding 2014 RL's

Thank you for your interest in WeatherTech. The Sunroof Deflector is custom designed for the 2008-2013 Honda Ridgeline and will not fit the 2014 model. Unfortunately we do not currently offer a Sunroof Deflector for the 2014 Honda Ridgeline. However, you can help make this product a priority for our product development team by submitting a product request form through our retail website here:
http://www.weathertech.com/service/product-request-form/

Feel free to contact us with any further questions or comments, and thank you for your interest in our products!

Anyone notice anything different on the '14?
I'm sure it's just that they haven't put one on '14 yet.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ordered a '13 WeatherTech Moonroof Visor for my 2014 RL, works perfectly. Nice heavy duty product with easy 15min install. No problem with noise or vibration on a 200 mile highway road trip yesterday.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never really understood why anyone would want one, it covers half of the moonroof!
What is the purpose?
I don't care for the sun beating down on me on long summer drives. I do however like the air flow with the sunroof and rear sliding window open a tad. There is a difference between the WeatherTech and Honda Moonroof visors. The OEM is curved and covers more of the opening. See link....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=549497&postcount=3

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Sorry I'm late.
I had a Weathertech sunroof deflector on and it
vibrated terribly.Luckily the vendor let me return it.
I also had a hood deflector that broke at a mounting tab.
Both products have been replaced by Honda OEM.
They seem to be a little heavier duty to me.
I did shy away from the OEM window deflectors becuase
they are glued on.
The OEM window shades are not that bad actually. 'Glue' is the typical 3M tape, and a very thin strip at that.
There is nothing in the rubber window channel like WTs. Although, I always liked the look of WTs I've had some issue with them seating on other cars.
Don't use a deflector for the sunroof, maybe I don't use it enough to see any advantage.
One of the cheapest hood deflectors I found was the clear 'Stampede' which I painted the body color, and it is holding up just fine. I think it was $51. Plus, the paint of course.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Never really understood why anyone would want one, it covers half of the moonroof!
What is the purpose?
I ordered a weathertec hoping it would cut down on wind noise from the roofrack. I started to install and it and realized.. this thing is going to cover 1/2 the moonroof like you mentioned so I sent it back and will deal with the wind noise.

·
Registered
762 Posts
What is the purpose?

I don't have any first hand experience with one on a Ridgeline but I put them on all our cars that have sunroofs because it cuts down on the noise to where you can have a normal conversation at freeway speeds with it open on those.
I don't know if the difference is as extreme on the Ridgeline but the first car we had with a moonroof I didn't like it at all the first few years. We only got the moonroof because it was part of a package that included side airbags and ABS. I never had it open anything over about 35 mph because of the wind noise. Then we got the visor and used it all the time. Now I'm hooked on them.
On my CX5 if it isn't raining or too hot I have the moonroof open. On it, at freeway speeds it is quieter having the full roof open rather than it just tilted open now. I much prefer it for airflow to having the side window down.
Some of them cover more than others, which I can see could be a drawback for some but I'm a big fan.
I wish I had some first hand experience with before and after noise on the Ridgeline though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts