Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2018 Ridgeline-E and was wondering what Tonneau cover to get. I want a Tri-Fold Hard cover. The choices I have found are Bakflip, Extang and Under Cover. I was wondering if the 2017 and 18 have the same size bed. That seems to be a question I have seen on other reviews of different Tonneau covers. I'm going to install a Pop N Lock key only on the tailgate so the tonneau does not have to lock. I want the cover so when we travel it will free up space in the cab. All of them seem good that I have looked at but I wonder about fit and if they seal out the elements good. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Dennis

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,963 Posts
There's actually a fourth trifold you might want to consider: the Rugged Liner Premium Hard Folding Tonneau. There's a lot of nuance to this so it's difficult to answer without knowing what you're most interested in, what your priorities are. Is being able to remove the tonneau easily without leaving much left over to get in the way a priority? Is being as watertight as possible priority? Is low profile good looks of priority? Is the option to tilt the tonneau up against the back of the cab a have to have feature? My suggestion would be to ask the question again, giving your three most important priorities, in the Aftermarket Tonneaus thread. Lots of people there who can help you narrow it down quickly.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...rket-tonneau-covers-who-has-them-out-318.html

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Welcome to the site. I suggest you use the powerful search feature, above to the right. There are multiple threads addressing this topic. I personally like the Peragon, which I have installed. Oh, and the 2017 and 2018 beds are the same size.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the Trifold requirement.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3 things I would like is water tight, easy to remove if needed and low profile. I may not get all of those in one tonneau but you never know. I have not heard of the Rugged Liner Premium Hard Folding Tonneau. Will check it out though. I will check out the aftermarket threads. It can be hard to decide which one will work for me but with this site's help I will get it figured out. Thanks Dennis

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have the Honda (same as Extang I believe) and it is not water tight. I use these (I’m not sure this is the size) but if you go this route make sure it’s not too tall. We put luggage and ther items inside to ensure they stay dry. The added benefit is ease to load up the truck, we have certain items we always take 9n the road and we have one of these that is akways ready to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I 'm also looking at the Honda cover as I have looked at one here in town. Cost will also be a small factor but all seem to cost about the same Maybe a 100.00 different. So I will do some more checking. Dennis

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have the Honda cover. I'm happy with it. I got it on sale from Bernardi's Honda before the first snow storm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are 318 pages discussing cover options here:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...rket-tonneau-covers-who-has-them-out-317.html

On page 317, I posted the UnderCover UltraFlex that I just installed on a 2018 Ridgeline (modified the drain lines as advised on page 318 this weekend). I am very happy with the UltraFlex, love the carpeted finish on the underside and the ease of complete removal if needed.

Feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did some checking on the Rugged Liner Premium Hard Folding tonneau. It is a very nice cover and I would buy one of of them but sadly they do not make one for the 18 Ridgeline. I will check out Randy B's post on the Under Cover Ultra Flex and some of the other posts in aftermarket tonnaeu covers. Dennis

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,590 Posts
I did some checking on the Rugged Liner Premium Hard Folding tonneau. It is a very nice cover and I would buy one of of them but sadly they do not make one for the 18 Ridgeline. I will check out Randy B's post on the Under Cover Ultra Flex and some of the other posts in aftermarket tonnaeu covers. Dennis
They are all the same 2017 vs 2018 G2/2G Ridgeline, whatever website you were on just hasn't updated their database.

·
Super Moderator
2,963 Posts
There is absolutely no difference between the 2017 and 2018 Ridgelines. There's a thread here somewhere that shows the differences and they have to do with colors and trim lines — they dropped a trim line. You can stop worrying about the differences between your truck and the first year, there aren't any. Rugged Liner now says that its tonneau fits the 2017-2018 Ridgeline.

What you may have run into is that there are very few companies selling the Rugged Liner right now. It's on backorder and they are manufacturing them slowly, but beginning to ramp up now. It's a new model for them. It only started shipping in January. The best place to go for it is probably AutoAccessoriesGarage.com. You can get them down to about $710 if you keep asking for a discount. I ordered this tonneau for myself through CARiD.com, which had a lower price at the time and which had already delivered one Rugged Liner cover to a ROC member.

We've dropped two links in this thread to the aftermarket tonneau thread. Come on by there; you'll get much better information. No one is expecting you to read the whole thing although some people do. It's become way way too long for that. Just click the last page link and post your questions there and you'll get responses.

Reactions: KenEsq

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pete - I'm in the same boat (no real requirements, other than having something be pretty watertight would be great). Oh and I'm lazy so easy. I just watched the video's on the paragon cover. I like it doesn't take up a ton of space and appears you can put small stuff on top of it with little issue.

How do you like it? Is it water resistant?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have checked out the Rugged Liner Premium Hard fold cover and they do make one for the 18 Ridgeline. HC-HRL17 FOR $797.33.
I read on some install page can't remember where but they said they had to remove all 4 top tie downs is this true? Might be a problem for me as I would like to keep as many of them as I can. Dennis

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,028 Posts
I have checked out the Rugged Liner Premium Hard fold cover and they do make one for the 18 Ridgeline. HC-HRL17 FOR $797.33.
I read on some install page can't remember where but they said they had to remove all 4 top tie downs is this true? Might be a problem for me as I would like to keep as many of them as I can. Dennis
Keep in mind the Rugged Liner Premium does not fold up as far as the MX4 or the UltraFlex. It is just like the Honda OEM cover as far as folding features. I don't believe you have to remove the upper tie downs, just put them on top of the tonneau brackets. It also depends upon if you are in a hurry, because the Rugged Liner is slow to ship/arrive for the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I will forget the Rugged Liner and go with the MX-4 or the Ultraflex. I will need to have it installed by mid April for a trip. Now all I need to do is pick which one. Thanks Sparkland for the info on slow shipping on the Rugged Liner. Dennis

·
Super Moderator
2,963 Posts
I guess I will forget the Rugged Liner and go with the MX-4 or the Ultraflex. I will need to have it installed by mid April for a trip. Now all I need to do is pick which one. Thanks Sparkland for the info on slow shipping on the Rugged Liner. Dennis
The Rugged Liner should be picking up steam in the next couple of months. But I was going to warn you about that too. Don't worry about the tiedowns. This is true of the Honda tonneau, the Extang Solid Fold 2, MX4, Ultra Flex and the Rugged Liner. But as Sparkland said, you can just put the tiedowns back over the brackets. The instructions will likely warn you not to do that, but many of us have done it without any issue whatsoever. The tiedown bolts that Honda supplies are much longer than they need to be so everything fits fine. They are also beefy Torx 50s.

I feel I need to point out to you that the MX4 and the Ultra Flex both use up more of your storage space. The low-profile design takes about an inch away from your cargo space vertically when the tonneau is closed. And the MX4 and Ultra Flex use two sets of rails, four rails in total, lining the sides of the bed. There are many positives about these two tonneaus. I admire a lot about them, especially the tilt up feature and their good looks. But there is a trade-off to be made, especially on the Ridgeline because it lacks a clampable surface in the bed like most American trucks have. To remove the MX4 or Ultra Flex, you merely undo two star nuts (like wing nuts) and then you'll be able to twist the cover horizontally and pull it up and out. Unfortunately that leaves the two sets of rails protruding into the bed where they can be fouled up by the big load you may be putting there. Then again, maybe it's me who's so concerned about this. Many others don't seem to mind or don't intend to take their tonneaus off. It's up to you what works for you. I just wanted you to be aware of what I consider to be this model's biggest Achilles' heel. This two sets of rails thing is only on the Ridgeline. For every other truck on the planet, the MX4 and Ultra Flex come with one set of rails.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phineas; Thanks for the info but I just ordered the Under Cover Flex Tonneau FX81000 from Auto Accessories Garage.I thought it compared well to the MX4 and was a little cheaper at $879.00. They had a 20% discount code on the net for over $150.00 spent but when I applied it it said to call them. So I called them and they said they can't use it on this tonneau DANG that would have been a sweet deal !!! Thanks to this forum for all the help sorting it out, GOOD info is hard to find. On an other subject UPS says my Key Pop N Lock should be here tomorrow. I will more then likely install it next week. From all the stuff that has been posted on this forum I should have no trouble installing it. So I will keep you inform on how everything goes. Thanks again everyone for all the help and info. Dennis

·
Super Moderator
2,963 Posts
Phineas; Thanks for the info but I just ordered the Under Cover Flex Tonneau FX81000 from Auto Accessories Garage.I thought it compared well to the MX4 and was a little cheaper at $879.00. They had a 20% discount code on the net for over $150.00 spent but when I applied it it said to call them. So I called them and they said they can't use it on this tonneau DANG that would have been a sweet deal !!! Thanks to this forum for all the help sorting it out, GOOD info is hard to find. On an other subject UPS says my Key Pop N Lock should be here tomorrow. I will more then likely install it next week. From all the stuff that has been posted on this forum I should have no trouble installing it. So I will keep you inform on how everything goes. Thanks again everyone for all the help and info. Dennis
Hey, congrats on the purchase. Good decision. The Ultra Flex is a great cover. There isn't a tonneau made that doesn't have some sort of downside. The BAKflips and the UnderCover Ultra Flex are no exception, but they have terrific upsides. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
For clarification - You opted for the "Flex" version FX8100 (FRP Black w/ 3 year warranty), not the "Ultra Flex" version UX8200 (Aluminium Matte Black w/ 5 year warranty)? Much of the discussion here, and the photos I posted, are of the Ultra Flex. We will be curious to hear what you think of the Flex.

FYI - UnderCover has a $75 rebate on UltraFlex for March 2018, which I assume is in addition to discounts you can get from companies such as https://tonneaucovered.com/ and others mentioned in this thread.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts