Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted about this before but I had a whining noise coming from the engine bay that sounded very much like power steering whine. Sound increased with RPM and my PS fluid was dirty. I had changed it once before but it had been some time so I added 2+2, came up with 7 and went to fix my problem.

Did the turkey baster method for swapping out PS fluid; got the fluid from a nice stout beer color to a golden honey brown. Drove it for a few days and no change in the whine.

Hmm...OK. So after some more rooting around on the ROC, I figured replacing the PS reservoir was cheap and simple so why not? After installing the new reservoir and more new fluid, and driving for a few more days, I still had a whine.

At this point, I began to feel like a parts-swapping-hack instead of the cold, calculating, troubleshooter extraordinaire that I believed myself to be. :laugh: Insert some head-scratching and saying to myself, "Self, let's start over. Do we know where the whine is coming from? Well, yes, it's the PS pump. OK, let's go get our mechanics stethoscope (cough, rubber hose) and verify."

Three minutes later, after having the hose snatched from my hand once by the belt, I am somewhat peeved at myself b/c the whine is very obviously coming directly from the idler pulley. Plain. As. Day.

So, back to the ROC to see what others had done for replacing pulleys and/or the tensioner assembly. I came across two very good posts from OhSix
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/7-1g-under-hood-performance/141394-question-re-serpentine-tensioner.html

And eurban
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/103-first-generation-ridgeline-1g-2006-2014/80257-changing-serpentine-belt.html

Good info in both threads for the issue and thanks also to speedlever, IanRTL and others who added much value w/their responses.

This evening, I installed the Gates tensioner assembly and replacement serpentine belt (same thing OhSix purchased in his thread) in about an hour, which also included cleanup and a quick test drive.
Now, all is quiet on the Western Front. I had almost forgotten how quiet the Ridgeline engine is. ;act028:

Here's a few YT links for demo of the sound, before and after.

From the interior
https://youtu.be/B3_mHB24qq8

From the engine bay (loudish - mind the volume)
https://youtu.be/wFqxIN2a8Vo

No more whining allowed
https://youtu.be/XGDsH437FIE

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
I have a question about your Gates tensioner assembly. . .

As I mentioned in the "Changing the Serpentine belt" thread I had an issue when I went to install the Gates tensioner assembly. The large OEM cupped washer that is installed along with the long assembly mounting bolt contacted the lower pulley assembly when it was tightened down. This is because the lower pulley supplied in Gates kit is a bit wider (in depth) than OEM with a deeper deeper bowl in the area where the cupped washer is designed to fit. When I tightened everything down the first time, the pulley wouldn't spin. I installed a washer between the cupped washer and the pulley to solve this issue.

Did you have a problem with this?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

As I mentioned in the "Changing the Serpentine belt" thread I had an issue when I went to install the Gates tensioner assembly. The large OEM cupped washer that is installed along with the long assembly mounting bolt contacted the lower pulley assembly when it was tightened down. This is because the lower pulley supplied in Gates kit is a bit wider (in depth) than OEM with a deeper deeper bowl in the area where the cupped washer is designed to fit. When I tightened everything down the first time, the pulley wouldn't spin. I installed a washer between the cupped washer and the pulley to solve this issue.

Im not likin this but they do make good belts, did Gates change the washer in the kit yet that you know of. I dont like adding extra parts being just a washer or not, its just another thing to slip or fail in time. Shame on Gates for that kit............... carry on.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
I did some investigation and it looks like there are two part numbers for the cupped washer or what Honda calls the "Bearing Cover".

For my 06 the part number is: 31185-P8C-A01 Cost: $1.50ish

For later years (I didn't check 07 but from 08 on for sure): 31185-RCA-A01 Cost: $8.00ish

I can only speculate but perhaps the bearing cover for the 06s is bigger and causes a problem on the Gates assembly while the other years for Ridges doesn't?

I know that with the tensioner kits you get a bulletin saying that on early Ridgelines you will need to modify the plastic timing belt cover slightly to clearance for the updated tensioner assembly. This may be yet another nuance to the story. Further confusing things is that I previously had my original bearing cover installed on a replacement / updated oem tensioner assembly and it had no issues with contacting the pulley. Basically the Gates pulley is definitely differently shaped than the updated OEM tensioner. . . .

I will be interesting to see what tony5oh says . . .

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I did not have an issue w/the dust cover, but only b/c of a few things:
1. Check post #14 in OhSix's thread I mentioned in my post. He mentions how the Gates pulley is different from the OEM - sealed and doesn't require the dust cover.
2. The packaging from Gates has a blurb on the side of the box that talks about not requiring the dust cover.
3. With 1 and 2 in mind, I was comparing the difference between the pulleys and mocked them up outside the truck and it was obvious to see how the dust cover was going to lock the Gates pulley down tight.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
I did not have an issue w/the dust cover, but only b/c of a few things:
1. Check post #14 in OhSix's thread I mentioned in my post. He mentions how the Gates pulley is different from the OEM - sealed and doesn't require the dust cover.
2. The packaging from Gates has a blurb on the side of the box that talks about not requiring the dust cover.
3. With 1 and 2 in mind, I was comparing the difference between the pulleys and mocked them up outside the truck and it was obvious to see how the dust cover was going to lock the Gates pulley down tight.
I didn't notice the note on the outside of the Gates box. Perhaps they should have put a note inside the box along with the other instruction :)

Regardless, thanks for pointing out that part of OhSix's thread! I must have read his posts a while back but didn't pay enough attention to the pulley differences he documented.

I did notice a bunch of grease on the backside of the bearing cover when I removed it from the OEM tensioner assembly on my truck. I was getting noise after only 40kmiles on it. Hopefully Gate's sealed bearing will hold up better!

Thanks again for the clarification!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't notice the note on the outside of the Gates box. Perhaps they should have put a note inside the box along with the other instruction :)

Thanks again for the clarification!
Agreed. A bold "warning" text on the pulley box and on the instruction sheet would have been better. Had I not seen that post from OhSix, I would have likely done the same as you.

Glad to help!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
Just found the pulley box in my basement.

One the outside of the box on one small side in small writing there was indeed a note about not needing the dust cover, and that you should check for interference before installing.

It's pretty easy to miss!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts