Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any white ridgeline owners notice a color difference between the plastic bumper and the metal hood/fenders. It looks almost yellow. The dealer said it was because the plastic hold the color different.

Any Thoughts?

Dan

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Danoh said:
Any white ridgeline owners notice a color difference between the plastic bumper and the metal hood/fenders. It looks almost yellow. The dealer said it was because the plastic hold the color different.

Any Thoughts?

Dan
Sound like BS to me!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry Tex. There is some truth in the dealer's statement. Whie is one of the most difficult colors to deal with. The substrate, primers and prep can have an impact on how we percieve the color. They don't mix the paint by eye. They use colorometers that give pretty precise mixing instructions. Go to the body shop and talk to a tech. They can show you how that works. I had a car painted and the fellow who did it showed me the same mix of white over three diferent primers. They all looked different. Well, why don't they use the same primer, you ask? Steel, Aluminum , fiberglas and the various other composites and plastics require different primers and prep to stick. This is not to say that the vehicle in question wasn't given a poor paint job. I'd go to an independent aut paint shop/body shop and have them look at it and put a colorometer on it. He can tell you the exact degree of match. I'd pay for the service! Take the results to the dealer if they prove your point. At least then it won't be just a difference of opinion. You'll have facts on your side.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Danoh said:

Any Thoughts?

Dan
My white ridge has yellow tone to the bumper covers. It looks especially bad with florescent lighting.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The issue has a lot to do with the flex agents they have to put in the paint for the flexable part of the car. white just happens to be the most noticeable. IT's not just honda. Check out other cars. Under certain light, espcially flourescent lighting, it's very noticeable.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've noticed this subtle difference in color on my red RL... it bothers me, but it's not always noticeable, depending on the lighting.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
UglyTruckling said:
I've noticed this subtle difference in color on my red RL... it bothers me, but it's not always noticeable, depending on the lighting.

it is true of the steel blue as well. lighting plays tricks on the colors.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We noticed the color difference on a white RL right off. After seeing it when new, we were worried that it would be more noticable over time and changed the order to Steel Blue.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Sound like BS to me!
I humbly bow to the experts. Sure glad I got a Silver...no variations anywhere, just all beautifull shiny Silver, I'm sure my Sister will attest to this! :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
All of you are correct, and I used to be a bodyman and a painter. Unfortunately, the bumper cover will show a different hue than the rest of the truck under certain lighting conditions for the same reason that the white truck is literally the "coolest" truck in the parking lot on a hot summer's day...white reflects light and other waves, black absorbs these same waves. Ever wonder why white is one of the highest "hiding" colors? (scratches, dents, spots, etc) Due to the natural reflective properties of the color white, it will give you an "illusion" and not show flaws. So, I, for one, can live with the slight discoloration under certain conditions (florescent) to have the coolest truck around! How many of you non white owners can wax your truck in direct sunlight? I can! It's always cool!!! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Danoh said:

Any Thoughts?

Dan
The dealer is telling the truth, if we go back a few years. But the painting process is getting better and better and you should not be able to notice the difference today. Actually my white is pretty darn even from the bumper to the metal body. The hue is not a noticeable difference.

I guess I would head back to the dealer and check out the other white ones as they show up on the lot. The dealer should be willing to call you when they show up to prove his point. In addition you should be able to check out any other white Honda in his new inventory because they all have the same type of bumpers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am calling Shenanigans on that. I have an 06 white RTL and there is NO variation and I do not know what the previous owner did but they were rough on the truck and STILL no color variations.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I am calling Shenanigans on that. I have an 06 white RTL and there is NO variation and I do not know what the previous owner did but they were rough on the truck and STILL no color variations.
You called this a little too late....... ~3 1/2 years too late.... :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts