Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I have heard of this product. Supposedly it has been used in the aircraft industry for ages and the auto industry just started using it for a few years now. It is suppose to help prevent rock chips/clear coat damaged by bird poop/acid rain/prevent water spots caused by hard water and even prevents paint from sticking onto the surface of the vehicle. What are your experiences with this product?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Never used it, but I do use Klasse products on my vehicles (on the rubber, plastics, paint, glass) and they still look new after 10 years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forgot to mention that they also use this xzilon product inside the vehicle to prevent stains. They say even coffee can't stain this product.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm sure this products works, but for how long? Why not save $700 (or whatever the dealer charges) and just wax your car three times a year?
Dealers love selling a product like this, because their profit margin is huge, but it's your money.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure this products works, but for how long? Why not save $700 (or whatever the dealer charges) and just wax your car three times a year?
Dealers love selling a product like this, because their profit margin is huge, but it's your money.....
They say 5 years. It also cover small dings also. So they'll pull the dent free of charge and no deductible so it's not so bad.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Based on the reviews I read from the link above, no way would I pay for it.

Can you buy the dent free coverage by itself for less if you want that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Xzilon coating is essentially what is called Glass Coating. Xzilon is the just brand Honda uses, which I never heard of. I would suggest going to an expert detail company who specializes in glass coating. I have the 22ple glass coating done on my Bmw after EXTENSIVE research. Glass coatings DO NOT protect against rock chips, however they do protect against bird s*** and things of that nature. Your vehicle will always shine more than normal and water will slide off like bead, leaving less marks. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links but this will explain in better detail Detail Werkz Dallas | New Car Prep

Only protection against rock chips (minor, not huge ones) are clear bra, which I recommend either Xpel or SunTek (I have SunTek), considered the best at the moment. I had my entire front end which included full bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, and mirrors in clear bra and also the entire car including the clear bra with the glass coating. All I have to say is that it stays consistently shiny and I'm no longer paranoid about minor rocks, sand blasting, or the gratuitous bird s*** on my bimmer.

In a month or two I'll probably bring the Black Edition in for her glass coating and tint, although I will forgo the clear bra on this vehicle as it sits much higher than the bimmer.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had Clear Bra installed on my Ridge on the bottom of the rockers & doors on each side after Honda repainted it under warranty ..That took care of the road rash..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Xzilon coating is essentially what is called Glass Coating. Xzilon is the just brand Honda uses, which I never heard of. I would suggest going to an expert detail company who specializes in glass coating. I have the 22ple glass coating done on my Bmw after EXTENSIVE research. Glass coatings DO NOT protect against rock chips, however they do protect against bird s*** and things of that nature. Your vehicle will always shine more than normal and water will slide off like bead, leaving less marks. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links but this will explain in better detail Detail Werkz Dallas | New Car Prep

Only protection against rock chips (minor, not huge ones) are clear bra, which I recommend either Xpel or SunTek (I have SunTek), considered the best at the moment. I had my entire front end which included full bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, and mirrors in clear bra and also the entire car including the clear bra with the glass coating. All I have to say is that it stays consistently shiny and I'm no longer paranoid about minor rocks, sand blasting, or the gratuitous bird s*** on my bimmer.

In a month or two I'll probably bring the Black Edition in for her glass coating and tint, although I will forgo the clear bra on this vehicle as it sits much higher than the bimmer.

Hope that helps!
Nice! Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
606 Posts
My dealer gave me the coating for "free" to sweeten my deal. I do have to say it really does have a great gloss to it. Is it worth what they charge? Most likely not, but for free Ill take it!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
My dealer gave me the coating for "free" to sweeten my deal. I do have to say it really does have a great gloss to it. Is it worth what they charge? Most likely not, but for free Ill take it!
It was probably "free" because the dealer had already applied it to the vehicle and you did not want to pay for it. Good move.

All mocking aside, I did purchase a similar product for my G1 2008 RTL and it actually did protect the paint to a large degree. I noticed less swirls in my paint than I do on my newer 2014 Highlander or 2015 Sonata.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am currently looking to buy the Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Model. The dealer informed me that the Ridgelines do not come with a clear coat and did mention that the Xzilon Coating can be applied to make up for it. I did not get an answer as to why the clear coating was omitted and I can't find any information to support this salesman's statement about "no clear coat".
I thought I would ask the Owners in this forum if they could comment on this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am currently looking to buy the Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Model. The dealer informed me that the Ridgelines do not come with a clear coat and did mention that the Xzilon Coating can be applied to make up for it. I did not get an answer as to why the clear coating was omitted and I can't find any information to support this salesman's statement about "no clear coat".

I thought I would ask the Owners in this forum if they could comment on this.

Thanks.

No clear coat on vehicles costing this much? That is really disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
Ha ! That's a dealer for ya'. Yes, they have clear coat. I don't know if they are using water based paint yet on these things. I actually haven't looked into that. I would imagine the window sticker would say what it is. But if it was water based how the heck do you think it would stay on the metal? lol So, yep clear coats.

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts