Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Did you replace your timing belt yourself?

• Yes, did it myself.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No, paid to have it serviced.

Votes: 3 27.3%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many on the roc are doing their own work or paying for repairs?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Just wondering how many on the roc are doing their own work or paying for repairs?
I just saw that you're not getting much response to this...... there are mucho threads on here regarding DIY TB replacement.... you can get a sense for how prevalent it is by checking those out if you want. I'm guessing you won't find more than 10-20% of members doing their own (probably under 5, but who knows). It's not like changing your oil.... only those folks confident in their mechanic skills will be likely brave enough to take on the task. It's pretty straight forward, if you're somewhat accomplished under the hood, but still daunting for most. After all, there's a LOT at stake for getting it right & not screwing things up along the way.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I just saw that you're not getting much response to this...... there are mucho threads on here regarding DIY TB replacement.... you can get a sense for how prevalent it is by checking those out if you want. I'm guessing you won't find more than 10-20% of members doing their own (probably under 5, but who knows). It's not like changing your oil.... only those folks confident in their mechanic skills will be likely brave enough to take on the task. It's pretty straight forward, if you're somewhat accomplished under the hood, but still daunting for most. After all, there's a LOT at stake for getting it right & not screwing things up along the way.
Totally agree..there is a sense of satisfaction as well done right. Too many failures of tb, not original but after replacement by shops mostly. For me i think regional price from dealers varies widely. Mine for example was 1200 bucks at 4 dealers, then i see like 500 bucks in other areas with pump and pulley. If i could have paid 500 i may have had dealer do it. Probably had 420 bucks in parts fluid, and new tools.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is great diy info here. Anyone considering it will find great support. However if your local service has a good price, you may want that also.

FYI, when I did my tbelt/water pump last year, all the old parts looked new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts