Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents I was just wondering if anyone is into mountain biking? I am looking to purchase a bike this weekend and boy they can get pricey. I am thinking about purchasing a GIANT full suspension all terrain bike, it will go good with the ridgeline. I was just curious as to if anyone can give me some pointers, when I hopefully purchase one this weekend for the wife and I. What is the essential GEAR I should purchase with it (of course I know a helmet and shoes)? I looked in many magazines and online but it gets very tedious wondering what is good.....? I appreciate all of your help in this one:D .

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I ride about 1200 miles of trails (with a little road) a year. I have been riding for about 15 years. I am 6'4" and weigh 150 lb. I now ride a hard tail F4 Cannondale. I rode a Specialized FSR full suspension for 12 years. My question is: How good a rider are you and where will you primarily ride? Single track or dirt roads? Drop in riding or downhill? Hard core or weekend rails to trails stuff? Once I know a little I'll let you know what I would buy if I were you. And lastly, are you made of money or are you sorta limited like the rest of us?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
NICE....It does gets pricey, it just all depends to what type of moutainbiking you think you will be doing? Cross country, single track, down hill on or off pavement. Do you think you will be doing alot of climbing uphill etc.

1st things first is for you and the wife got to the nearest LBS (local bike shop) and get measured to what Mt. Bike that fits you. Then, to what I've mentioned above, what type of riding you and the wife will be doing.

As for me, Since i did Bmx in my young and teenage years..not so long ago. I choose a hardtail Specialized HardRock Pro Disc. It meets my needs for the time being, since I've been doing alittle downhill, XC and alot of Single tracks and some uphill. F/R Disc Brake is a must, for downhill and you're able to stop on a dime :D

Equipment wise when purchasing the bike, its actually better to buy all at once, since it does gets expensive if you buy piece by piece. When i bought my bike, i went ahead and bought extra tube and tire, a computer, helmet, winter and spring gloves, shoes, Backpack with water reservoir, bike tools.
You may able to get a discount since you are buying these items all at the same time. You may also able to get a discount buying a bike rack if you have the rack system from Honda or an inbed bike rack.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I am like the rest don't have massive amounts of money. I stopped MBing a while ago (about 3 years ago when my frame bent) I would basically go off road and some on road. When off road through mud, water, rock/ gravle large tree roots you name it. But no drop offs which some bikers like to do. Some downhill about 1/4 in most of the trails. Thanks for the speady advice. So what your saying is to buy all at once and I could probably get a package deal? You have been helpfull already I am going to see our local dealer on Saturday. The bike that I am interest in now is the GIANT Trance 2 ($1200 I hear you may be able to talk down prices this true?). But he might say I don't need such a bike b/c there is cheaper for waht I may want.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
nice...that giant looks a little or similar to Specialize enduro xl or a specialized Stumpjumper. Yea. my LBS gave me a great discount when i bought all equipment at the same time with the bike and lifetime tuneup on the bike. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
No I am like the rest don't have massive amounts of money. I stopped MBing a while ago (about 3 years ago when my frame bent) I would basically go off road and some on road. When off road through mud, water, rock/ gravle large tree roots you name it. But no drop offs which some bikers like to do. Some downhill about 1/4 in most of the trails. Thanks for the speady advice. So what your saying is to buy all at once and I could probably get a package deal? You have been helpfull already I am going to see our local dealer on Saturday. The bike that I am interest in now is the GIANT Trance 2 ($1200 I hear you may be able to talk down prices this true?). But he might say I don't need such a bike b/c there is cheaper for waht I may want.

**Rubbing hands together**

First thing I'd say is maybe go lurk on a mountainbike forum ...mine is (socaltrailriders.org) 1. You'll learn a TON 2.You can probably pick up a way better used bike than a shop will sell you new.

As far as manufacturers are concerned...do your homework. There are a ton of mass produced bikes out there!!! Do you want to get into a lower end company or an upper? Do you want a local brand or one shipped from Taiwan? Make sure the BRAND you pick is a company you respect...not just the cheapest and closest. There is a reason they are the cheapest if you get my drift??

If I could give you ONE piece of advice most people won't give it would be this. Buy full suspension. The ride and the enjoyment factor is HUGE. It will keep you on the bike...as opposed to feeling like it's too much work. Buy something that is for XC and trails. Steer clear of crown fork suspension(suspension that starts at the handlebars) (means weight and downhill).

My recommendations???

1. Specialized for a big company but a good product. Stumpy FSR
2. Ellsworth
3. Turner
4. Intense
5. Santa Cruz /KHS/ Rocky Mountain are three decent ones too
6. Kona does some great bikes too!

Read about the 29er tire size too. Might be a consideration!! Taller people love them as they cover ground well and give you decent stability. :)

There's my 2bucks worth....I hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
17,039 Posts
This is an interesting read, thanks.

I only have a Trek 4100 (couple of years old), but since it is a fitted bike, I figure I am on the lower end of the bike scale. I'm a casual, weekend warrior, professional in my own head, trail rider :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
**Rubbing hands together**
y recommendations???

1. Specialized for a big company but a good product. Stumpy FSR
2. Ellsworth
3. Turner
4. Intense
5. Santa Cruz /KHS/ Rocky Mountain are three decent ones too
6. Kona does some great bikes too!

Read about the 29er tire size too. Might be a consideration!! Taller people love them as they cover ground well and give you decent stability. :)

There's my 2bucks worth....I hope it helps :)
I've been riding for 10 yrs or so. I used to freeride quite a bit, but I've recently switched to mainly cross country because of some injuries. The one thing I noticed about the list above(all great rides) is that, depending on location, one might have a hard time finding these brands. It will be harder to locate a LBS that carries them if your on the East coast(not impossible...but harder). I ride a Jamis XC pro and I like it very much. You might even want to look at certain Iron Horse models...it depends what your looking to do. Another resource would be to check out www.mtbr.com There will be some decent reviews there. Good luck

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been riding for 10 yrs or so. I used to freeride quite a bit, but I've recently switched to mainly cross country because of some injuries. The one thing I noticed about the list above(all great rides) is that, depending on location, one might have a hard time finding these brands. It will be harder to locate a LBS that carries them if your on the East coast(not impossible...but harder). I ride a Jamis XC pro and I like it very much. You might even want to look at certain Iron Horse models...it depends what your looking to do. Another resource would be to check out www.mtbr.com There will be some decent reviews there. Good luck
Yeh I could add Yeti and Jamis to the list... but to be honest I'd rather buy them online and have the LBS service them, than put out a grand+ for something I wouldn't ultimately LOVE. Right? Right!:D

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
That's a nice list, where would Cannondale fit in that list? I don't have one, as mentioned previously I went specialized and may upgrade Later to a full suspension like the Specialized Stumpjumper.

Like, you said, you have experience riding back in the years, and how about the wife? You may have to bring her to your LBS and get her fitted for a MTB.
Some LBS, specialized on certain brands, like my LBS primarily sells, Specialized & KOna, and sells a few GT and diamondbacks. Go to few LBS and ask to try each one out and see if you like it, I guess, you're going to pay more if the materials used will be lighter than the average mtb that use other material from carbon, aluminum, titanium, and good ole heavy steele.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's a nice list, where would Cannondale fit in that list? I don't have one, as mentioned previously I went specialized and may upgrade Later to a full suspension like the Specialized Stumpjumper.

Like, you said, you have experience riding back in the years, and how about the wife? You may have to bring her to your LBS and get her fitted for a MTB.
Some LBS, specialized on certain brands, like my LBS primarily sells, Specialized & KOna, and sells a few GT and diamondbacks. Go to few LBS and ask to try each one out and see if you like it, I guess, you're going to pay more if the materials used will be lighter than the average mtb that use other material from carbon, aluminum, titanium, and good ole heavy steele.
The Cannondale company was sold to .....Gt or someone??....and really doesn't exist. No offense to anyone who has one...but I'd steer clear now. GT and Diamondback aren't really in the loop either. Please don't buy a Schwinn or Huffy either...:p

IMO Ironhorse is making some decent bikes...(world champ rides one) BUT they started out in a grocery store setting...really!!!

In the end it's your money...:)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yeh I could add Yeti and Jamis to the list... but to be honest I'd rather buy them online and have the LBS service them, than put out a grand+ for something I wouldn't ultimately LOVE. Right? Right!:D
True....the only thing with that are the warranty issues. Some companies are a PITA about buying bikes through discounted online stores and then warrantying them. Canondale is up and running again. They are not owned by Pacific Cycles(own Schwinn, GT, Kent, and Mongoose) Canondale are good bikes but a bit overpriced for the specs.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
With due respect to she devil (she lists some good bikes) go to your local bike store, check out the brands they have and then buy one. Sounds like you could get a bike to suit your needs for under a grand. Riding a full suspension bike is over rated IMO. I rode one for several years. It will give you a softer ride but I find my current hardtail climbs much better, is lighter and handles better. Remember...everybody will have their own opinion on this so best thing is go test ride both. Buy at a local store so they will service it. If you buy some esoteric brand good luck finding parts and getting it fixed. Contrary to other opinions, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, GT, etc. are all good bikes and can be had new or used at a local bike shop. Oh, disc brakes are nice but standard brakes work very well. I look for simplicity in mechanical design because it means less to fix. One item you really need to buy is GOOD PADDED SHORTS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I my self am 6' 2" and about 270lbs, I looked at a lot of different bikes when I went to buy one. I got a gary fisher becuase it was one of the only bikes that could handle my wight and how much power I was trying to put to the ground. And got into the bike under $500 the only thing it didn't have that I really wanted was dic brakes. I have had it for about 2 year and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I my self am 6' 2" and about 270lbs, I looked at a lot of different bikes when I went to buy one. I got a gary fisher becuase it was one of the only bikes that could handle my wight and how much power I was trying to put to the ground. And got into the bike under $500 the only thing it didn't have that I really wanted was dic brakes. I have had it for about 2 year and am very happy with it.
Normal rim caliper are nice and will do the job, only reason i wanted disc, I rode with a few buddies and they let me borrow one of theirs, went through mud and some wash, well anyways, we where decending downhill and i tried to break....i heard the squeels from the rim, but stopping power wasn't there and had to bail. That's the reason i wanted disc brakes instead of calipers or the rim type breaks.

Listen to hiPSI, go to your LBS and try out every mtb they will let you try and if you do find one, choose a bike that will have parts and really easy to replace. Its better to buy everything up front than upgrading later. it will get expensive if you decide to upgrade parts later. Your LBS may even give you a discounted price, as mentioned previously. The lighter the mtb..the more you are paying as a rule of thumb ;)

Full suspension is very nice, and easier on your body due to rough roads or dirts, yes you do loose power when you are climbing due to flexing (pedal and your suspension compress) you get the bouncing effect when peddaling. Its all up to you. That is one of few reason, that i wanted a hardtail, but did get a good front suspension when i bought the bike (upgraded to higher model with a better front fork). Good luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I too vote for the 29 inch tires as they go over alot and smooth out the ride.

Besides the bike invest in a good camelback or similar item. One with pockets is best so you can cram a couple of power bars in there along with a spare tire, pump and tool kit.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I enjoy my Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc, luv very much, very comfortable and even withstood my little abuse on it and my lil crash a couple of months ago on a little large mountain :eek: :D , the mtb was ok, but my helmet had some major scuffs and split in half, but replaced the helmet and bought another helmet from specialized, gotta protect the noggin.

Doc, said everything is fine, lucky for me, i was wearing a helmet or my head would have looked like the helmet. I told the doc that i didn't feel anything that have made it look like that. So i'm back to riding again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Many good points in this post. Having ridden and raced in everything from crits to 24 hours mt bike races to the ironman, you have to shop for a bike like your truck. go to a couple LBS's ask the guys that you see riding where they bought their bikes, and then take them for a test ride, just like your ridge. Every reputable bike shop will have demo bikes to put you on for feel and fit. If they don't run don't walk to the nearest exit and to elsewhere. No I am not saying that they would have the exact bike that you want, but they should have a model above or below the one you are looking at that can be demo'ed. One more thing is that components make the bike. Look at the component groupo that is on the bike and have the bike shop mechanic expain the diffrences to you.

Good luck and good riding....

Greg

1 - 20 of 321 Posts