Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It needs a little work...but it will grow on me. A little lift. Removal of the air dam. and blacking out the chrome trim will make a big difference. I just wish I could get one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll wait until I see it in real life. I've learned that looks can grow on you. So I'll have to drive by a few for a couple of weeks before I make my mind up about it!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't love or hate the front end. I have learned though that you simply cannot have a big bold front end and still get the milage, handling, other pluses without some aero up front. So I'll take the aero and deal with it.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I have learned though that you simply cannot have a big bold front end and still get the milage, handling, other pluses without some aero up front.
The front end of the GMC Canyon is about as aerodynamic as a brick and it still gets within 1 mpg of the RL, so it's hard to believe that some modest changes to the character of the front end would have dramatically affected the vehicle.

Overall I tend to side with the masses in that I feel like the front of the G2 was a missed opportunity by Honda to market an otherwise innovative truck to the masses. Had Honda simply ditched the unibrow look of the grill and had normal looking bumper molding with inset fog lights (like they had with the G1) instead of the weird cutaway with body color underneath, I think that it would have been a huge improvement. To me the Black Edition, with the less noticeable bumper cut-out and closer to body-colored unibrow go a long way to improving this.

That said, while I don't particularly care for it, I also don't dislike it enough for it to influence my purchasing decision in any way.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Its a chameleon, certain angles it looks awful. Seeing it in person it really looks so much better. I've only seen the black edition and while I do wish it was more aggressive, it really doesn't look as soft in person.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Its a chameleon, certain angles it looks awful. Seeing it in person it really looks so much better. I've only seen the black edition and while I do wish it was more aggressive, it really doesn't look as soft in person.
I agree but I think it is completely appropriate for a SUV and the Pilot it makes sense. Its not overly aggressive and controversial it just is safe and doesn't look terrible. However my opinion is that a truck needs to have its own identity. They did this for the back and sides but abandoned the front. I don't know if it was because of the lack budget or fear of a being too bold, or it would conflict with their main goal and that is MPG or all of the above. To me it looks like two different vehicles. It's quite slanted and small for the natural length of the truck. It really brings out the SUV or minivan. Don't misquote me it doesn't mean it is 100% a minivan by nature, not at all. I can see it though through its design.

To be fair the RL is and always has been an SUV with some truck abilities. Its what people should like about it so its not terribly surprising but imo more could have been done at least in the aftermarket department. It might happen if it sells well and companies want to jump in and make money.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
...Had Honda simply ditched the unibrow look of the grill and had normal looking bumper molding with inset fog lights (like they had with the G1) instead of the weird cutaway with body color underneath, I think that it would have been a huge improvement...
I also thought that was body color showing underneath the front bumper when I first saw it on the silver truck, but it's actually a silver-colored trim piece surrounding the fog lights/turn signals. It's also on all other colors of the truck except the BE and the Sport which has a "black painted lower front bumper".

I'm good with a more aero front but think this one needs more work. Some angles are OK, but the straight-on, street-level angle is awful, IMO. Regardless, there are much more important considerations that will influence my buying decision.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I also thought that was body color showing underneath the front bumper when I first saw it on the silver truck, but it's actually a silver-colored trim piece surrounding the fog lights/turn signals".
Thanks for pointing that out. That means that it shouldn't take too much effort to change. I'm now having a difficult time not quoting "Paint it Black" by the Stones.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The front end of the GMC Canyon is about as aerodynamic as a brick and it still gets within 1 mpg of the RL, so it's hard to believe that some modest changes to the character of the front end would have dramatically affected the vehicle.

Overall I tend to side with the masses in that I feel like the front of the G2 was a missed opportunity by Honda to market an otherwise innovative truck to the masses. Had Honda simply ditched the unibrow look of the grill and had normal looking bumper molding with inset fog lights (like they had with the G1) instead of the weird cutaway with body color underneath, I think that it would have been a huge improvement. To me the Black Edition, with the less noticeable bumper cut-out and closer to body-colored unibrow go a long way to improving this.

That said, while I don't particularly care for it, I also don't dislike it enough for it to influence my purchasing decision in any way.
We also don't know real world MPG's yet, only the EPA ratings. Real world vs. EPA tend to be different.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I like it, it does a pretty good job at masking the usual FWD front overhang and probably won't look dated in 10 years.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have wanted a Ridgeline since I saw the pics of the new gen. That being said, the front is the one thing I didn't really like.

I don't hate it but I am good with the way it is. The aerodynamics and the sound dampening that comes with the higher trim level (I think I read that correctly) should more than make up that I'm not that impressed with it.

However, I haven't seen it in person. I could totally change my impression of it. I wasn't a fan of the Gen1 Ridgeline at all until I saw one in person. Just have to wait until next week! I've got a Black Edition on hold and it should be here this week and I'll be able to take delivery on the 21st.

If the dealer allows me to test drive it this week when it comes in (as they said they would), I'll post some pictures of thoughts of the front end.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I love it something different from the crowd.
Now the GMC Sierra/Canyon front is real good looking but the G2 Ridgeline looks very good. I can't see how some think it loos worst than Tacoma Frontier Titan group. It's a Honda just like G1 front had Pilot/MDX from earlier models.
The DRL LEDs look nice on this vehicle. So what it looks like a Pilot a bit I think it looks better in the front. You will know a Ridgeline when it's coming at you tail end you wont know. Before with G1 you new a Ridgeline from a distance from it's hump.We will know G2 from the front .

·
Registered
395 Posts
There are two chrome strips going across the grill. I imagine it would look better if the top one wasn't there. But thats wishful thinking. Looks will always be to each his own. I personally don't mind how it looks as I'm getting the RL for the function over butch.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
There are two chrome strips going across the grill. I imagine it would look better if the top one wasn't there. But thats wishful thinking. Looks will always be to each his own. I personally don't mind how it looks as I'm getting the RL for the function over butch.
But the masses keep saying how awful the front end looks it's to much SUV minivan look. I don't think an F-150 looks that good from the front but many think it's the best thing including looks since sliced bread. But your correct function over butch. We did this with G1 Ridgeline over 9yrs ago when we got it the different looks of the G1 to the plain looks of others. The G2 Ridgeline has a distinct look in the front.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts