Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Boy, did I get screwed. I only got -$1,780 discount.

-9 > -1,780 is it not?

-1,780 ------ -9 ----- 0 ----- +9 ----- +1,780

Oh, wait. That's "dealer math".

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is too funny. I just got an e-mail back from a dealer in Texas that I e-mailed and this was his respone:

Sir, thank you for responding. The price quoted was our asking price for the Ridgeline. The $300 over MSRP is because the vehicle has been tinted. I do not want to miss your business. Please send me a copy of the purchase agreement provided by them, every deal I have seen from any other dealer is selling the trucks for at least $1,000 over sticker price. Reason for the purchase agreement is to get an itemized price, to make sure you aren't paying a market adjustment or over paying for any dealer added accessories or paying for a dealer prep fee. I will see what I can do to make you a deal.

the 2017 Honda Ridgeline will be limited production, only 40,000 total will be produced.

Unlike Holmes Honda, we have a FREE Lifetime Powertrain Warranty that will come with the purchase. It is a simple, cut and dry. Just make sure the service/maintenance is done by a place of business and keep the receipts if you do not use Honda. Coverage is any where in the continental U.S. , Hawaii and Canada. I am attaching the contract for your review. There is nothing special to it and it FREE.

Maybe I should direct him to this dealer and say, Now what were you saying about MSRP?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
the 2017 Honda Ridgeline will be limited production, only 40,000 total will be produced.
I wonder if that is the production limit due to factory constraints? If so, based on the early sales, they might be like hen's teeth by the end of the year, especially after all the good reviews the RL is getting.

Then, again, it was a car salesman telling you this...:laugh:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The 2017 might only be 40k vehicles, but then the 2018's will come out....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wonder if that is the production limit due to factory constraints? If so, based on the early sales, they might me like hen's teeth by the end of the year, especially after all the good reviews the RL is getting.

Then, again, it was a car salesman telling you this...:laugh:
Yea, my reply to him was:
Thanks, but no thanks. I will not pay MSRP, and definitely not over for any vehicle, so if I end up being customer 40,001, I guess I won´t get a Ridgeline. I can get one without 300 dollar tint or any extras. Thank you for your time.

So, he will either quit e-mailing me or he will come back with some sort of offer. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yea, my reply to him was:
Thanks, but no thanks. I will not pay MSRP, and definitely not over for any vehicle, so if I end up being customer 40,001, I guess I won´t get a Ridgeline. I can get one without 300 dollar tint or any extras. Thank you for your time.

So, he will either quit e-mailing me or he will come back with some sort of offer. We shall see.
$100 says it's the cheapest window tint around and not worth 2 ****s. You want ceramic. For me if the dealer told me $300 extra because of tint I'd tell them to remove it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's funny to read that line. Back in 2007, a Toyota dealership said something similar to me regarding the FJ Cruiser. He said the FJ is a limited run vehicle for only 2 years...it ran from 2006-2014. It was amusing how confident he was with that statement.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
This is too funny. I just got an e-mail back from a dealer in Texas that I e-mailed and this was his respone:

Sir, thank you for responding. The price quoted was our asking price for the Ridgeline. The $300 over MSRP is because the vehicle has been tinted. I do not want to miss your business. Please send me a copy of the purchase agreement provided by them, every deal I have seen from any other dealer is selling the trucks for at least $1,000 over sticker price. Reason for the purchase agreement is to get an itemized price, to make sure you aren't paying a market adjustment or over paying for any dealer added accessories or paying for a dealer prep fee. I will see what I can do to make you a deal.

Unlike Holmes Honda, we have a FREE Lifetime Powertrain Warranty that will come with the purchase. It is a simple, cut and dry. Just make sure the service/maintenance is done by a place of business and keep the receipts if you do not use Honda. Coverage is any where in the continental U.S. , Hawaii and Canada. I am attaching the contract for your review. There is nothing special to it and it FREE.

Maybe I should direct him to this dealer and say, Now what were you saying about MSRP?
Try Jack O' Diamonds in Tyler, TX or Loving in Lufkin, TX. I've had surprisingly awesome experiences with both in the last two months. Holmes in Shreveport, LA isn't too bad. I seem to have the better success with older or smaller dealers lately.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The evolution of a deal.

D: its MSRP.
B: Delaer X is selling them for $1K below.
D: I just talked to the manager he'll match it.
B: How much for my trade?
D: $25000
B:KBB is $28K
D: $26K
B: $27K
D: I'll talk to the manager. If we can agree will you buy the car today?
B: depends if he can get me $27K
D: Best we can do is $26.500. Someone farted in the seat once. These RLs are rare.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Outside of the Pilot this is the main thing on the lot so they are going to milk every cent out of it to make up for the chit they have to eat selling all the other stuff on the lot. You had a decent deal on the table, you just pushed too hard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just at a Honda dealer in Corona,CA. They had a RTL-T at $50,000. Besides the usual overpriced accessories they had a $8000 Market Conditions markup!!! I just turned around and walked off. Told them I wasn't going to deal with all the accessory bull crap. They told me everyone was doing it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Same mess happened back in '05 when the first '06 RL's were coming out. Finally gave up the dealer dance and went through a buying service. Still got only about $600 off retail, but it beat the heck out of the "market adjustment" garbage the dealers were throwing at me. It was just bizarre too, as I ended up with a buying service deal through one of the dealer's I'd originally walked out on!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Just at a Honda dealer in Corona,CA. They had a RTL-T at $50,000. Besides the usual overpriced accessories they had a $8000 Market Conditions markup!!! I just turned around and walked off. Told them I wasn't going to deal with all the accessory bull crap. They told me everyone was doing it.
That's California though, and how they like to do it out there. I've seen Cali dealerships of many mfr's pull the same crap. New to market vehicle with any serious demand = attempted rape by them. Keep walking and know it will be 6 months for the stealer to turn into a dealer. If they don't "deal" then they are just stealing for a living. MSRP is as HIGH as it should ever be, anywhere.

I read of one of the watch companies, I think it may have been Rolex with their Daytona. Stealers were stealing and Rolex put a stop to it. They informed their dealers to stop overcharging for their product or they will no longer be a Rolex dealer. The company that makes the product put their g damn'n foot down and put a stop to that bs. Seen Subaru do it too, lay down the law and keep some of their dealers from stealing for a living.

If you previously bought a Honda it's worse. If you have bought many Honda's (and Acuras) in the past, or just one, well I'm not gonna say you deserve the world or anything but you should get some respect from the manu you are sticking with. You should be able to go to the stealer, and kick a tire, then drive. Play with it a little to check out the different stereos, sunroof, and whatever else features you are interested in. If interested in the top trims, a knowledgeable Honda employee should go on the test drive and demonstrate every single nanny the truck has, how to use them, explain things very well and know the truck at least as well as Mr. informed customer because those extra features are not "cheap". $35,000 - 42,000 is a lot of money to many people. A vehicle like this is only second to their home in terms of purchase price. A BE or E model can be $45,00 with tax in many states. But back to what I was saying. A previous owner should be able to check out the stuff they want at the dealer...then log in to their website, configure it, and order it. Having the order go through your preferred dealer, wherever that is. That would force the dealers to get their asses in line.

For reference I've owned 7 Honda/Acura cars and trucks. One of the seven was the previous Ridgeline. 6 of their motorcycles, all liter sport bikes or VFR sport tourers. 2 pieces of their lawn equipment. So 15 all in. I'm glad I wasn't at this Cali dealership with a $8000 markup. I would have caused a whole scene, including the highest paid employee right in front of me. The owner is always an auto group here, so probably the GM. I would have stated what I have here then told each of them, well Scarface can explain it better.
http://youtu.be/qIqeXSYc8nE
Then I'd never do business with that dealer again for the rest of my life and put in writing.

Sorry for the novel/rant. Seeing this with the RS by Ford dealers right now as well and it rubs me the wrong way. A Ridgeline is not a g damn LaFerrari. An $8k ADM is roughly 20% of the vehicle cost. Obscene.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try Jack O' Diamonds in Tyler, TX or Loving in Lufkin, TX. I've had surprisingly awesome experiences with both in the last two months. Holmes in Shreveport, LA isn't too bad. Avoid Tower Honda in Longview, Texas at all costs. I seem to have the better success with older or smaller dealers lately.
I won´t say which one this was from, but it is one of those you mentioned. I will probably actually end up going through Holmes Honda since it is closer to me and we bought our Odyssey through them.

This was todays reply from the Texas dealer:

I am not saying that we will not negotiate. What I was asking for is a true purchase agreement from the other dealership, lets make sure you are getting an accurate, true out the door price. I will then see what I can do to make you a deal that makes you happy. You are important to me. We have sold a bunch of Honda's in the Shreveport Bossier Area, look at the license tags on Honda's driving around. There is a reason why.

I wonder how much they are willing to negotiate now. I guess I will see what they can do for me. This is getting to be sort of fun. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
And I thought Valley Hi, in Victorville, CA was bad with their "HIGH DESERT PROTECTION PACKAGE", but it's a pile of accessories worth maybe $500 for like $1500. That's insane, down in Corona, CA, maybe an hr south of me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts