Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Who would prefer a 6SPD manual option for the 2nd gen RL?

• 6 SPD Manual Transmission

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • 6 SPD Automatic Transmission

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • 10 SPD Automatic Transmission

Votes: 14 18.9%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to see a manual transmission option in the new Ridgeline. Is there anyone else who would prefer a manual over these 3 options?

1. 6SPD manual transmission
  2. 6SPD Automatic Transmission
  3. 10SPD automatic transmission

· Registered
441 Posts
I'd love to see a manual transmission option in the new Ridgeline. Is there anyone else who would prefer a manual over these 3 options?

1. 6SPD manual transmission
  2. 6SPD Automatic Transmission
  3. 10SPD automatic transmission
Make a poll. I love manual and every car I've had since 1997 until the 2017 Ridgeline. It's just FUN even those times in heavy traffic to keep you awake. I know Im odd

· Registered
14 Posts
Make a poll. I love manual and every car I've had since 1997 until the 2017 Ridgeline. It's just FUN even those times in heavy traffic to keep you awake. I know Im odd
Best anti-theft system going!

· Registered
21 Posts
6 speed manual! Sign me up!

I have been driving stick for 20+ years and I can’t say enough good things about it. It was a great compromise for me when purchasing RL G2.

I guess we can’t get it all…

· Registered
4,166 Posts
Yes make a poll I for one would not want it for Ridgeline. I drove stick shift in 3 of my Honda vehicles 19years from 1980 with my Prelude and the 1990 Accord and 1994 Accord all purchased new. I hurt my back & leg while working and was uncomfortable to shift use clutch sometimes. When I got my 2000 Acura 3.2TL it was 5 speed with the sport-shift. I hardly use it now when driving the car. I would prefer a 10 speed auto with paddle shifters over a manual with clutch.
You even see many real trucks like semi-trailer trucks Kenworth/Volvo/Pete moving away from manual transmission.
It was fun to drive back then economical but automatics have caught up.
The fatigue in heavy traffic always having to go between 1st & 3rd was a pain. When you get older sometime you just don't want the hassle.

· Registered
27 Posts
I'll stay with the 6 speed automatic. It works great in the Ridgeline. A good manual in a sporty car is pure fun. A manual trans with heavy enough gears, synchros bearings and bushings to go into a loaded, 6,000 pound Ridgeline would likely not be the snick-snick shifting thing we're used to in a lighter car. Towing, payload and fuel economy tends to be less with manual transmissions in pick-ups that offer both transmissions.

· Registered
55 Posts
I spent 4 years in a 2013 VW GLI with a 6m transmission. I have a 3-1/2 mile commute, with 16 traffic lights and an average speed of 17mph. With a back of the envelope estimate, my left foot did its clutch thing probably 250,000 times. No, it's not fun. On the highway and up in the mountans? The GLI was a blast. I bought my RL Sport a month ago. My wife asked last week if I missed the GLI. My answer was a straightforward ”absolutely not.”

And on top of the easy commute, I'm getting 4mpg more commuting than the GLI!

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

· Registered
441 Posts
I spent 4 years in a 2013 VW GLI with a 6m transmission. I have a 3-1/2 mile commute, with 16 traffic lights and an average speed of 17mph. With a back of the envelope estimate, my left foot did its clutch thing probably 250,000 times. No, it's not fun. On the highway and up in the mountans? The GLI was a blast. I bought my RL Sport a month ago. My wife asked last week if I missed the GLI. My answer was a straightforward ”absolutely not.”

And on top of the easy commute, I'm getting 4mpg more commuting than the GLI!

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk
I know what you mean with the constant clutching in traffic, but I still miss driving my VW GTI and Focus ST. With all that said the Ridgeline is the best vehicle (truck or car) I've ever owned hands down!

· Premium Member
7,342 Posts
I didn't read the entire thread, but a manual transmission has ZERO chance of making it to the Ridgeline. Sorry, but that's the honest truth. I was never even really considered.

Look for a change in the 2019 Ridgeline as far as the transmission goes. I think you'll like the option, but it's NOT manual... but you can put it in manual mode with paddle shifters within the RPM and LOAD maps. So no you can't downshift to 1st gear at 70MPH and even if you hold a gear to near red line it will shift. But other than that you can paddle shift as a manual if that's your thing. I believe there's a 3% driveline loss with the new transmission, but that's compared to PERFECT manual shifting (which 95% of the people don't understand that red line is the goal). Peak torque is the goal.

I have personal experience with this and I think you'll like it.

-Joe

· Super Moderator
3,084 Posts
While the 6speed Auto is probably one of the best I've had in any car lately a 10 speed tranny would be nice with paddle shifters !

I do have to say that the 6 speed that was in my 2012 Ford Escape was quirky at times. It worked fine for the 116k I had it though. Just had weird annoyances like when you put it into reverse too quick from drive it would slam the gear at times. Same if you put it into park too fast. I think it was something about the pressure in the transmission pump lines. If you just took it easy moving the lever it never was a problem. Only when in a hurry was anything noticeable. I haven't noticed anything like this on the RL yet.

Steve M

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Bring back the simple pleasures. No need for power steering, power brakes, windows, door locks, seats, radio station seek, etc.
I fondly remember cruising with with my girl; vent windows and a single speaker AM radio was all we needed.

Old geezer.

· Registered
10 Posts
Add me to the list of those desiring a 6spd manual. I know the bulk of the buyers would still choose the auto, but there are still quite a few of us out there that would opt for the manual if it was available. If Honda made the manual the standard and the automatic an option just think of the additional $$ they could make selling all of those automatics?

· Registered
606 Posts
That's the only thing that makes my truck not perfect. I really do miss my manual transmission. Every vehicle I've ever owned has been stick. This is my first female transmission. During heavy traffic I don't miss tap dancing, but overall I'd be the first in line to drive a 6sp manual Ridge off the lot.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.