Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think that I would buy the Ridgeline tent. It doesn't look big enough for my needs. I do own the CR-V tent. I use it on our 2015 CR-V. It is very roomy easy and easy to set up. It also works well standalone. The is more than enough room for a queen size Aerobed and a crate for our husky. we use the CR-V opening primarily for storage and seating. But have also listened to the radio and CDs from the vehicle. Here are few pics of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm a little jealous of the tent pics in here. I know my son would be.

Grew up tenting it. When the wife and I were in our 20s we did the truck bed canopy thing with an air mattress for about 10 years and I have to admit I like that better than a tent.

As my body deteriorated over the years we've since moved on to trailers.

This is our current tent, AKA our second house that happens to be on wheels. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did your tent come an inflatable bed? Have been seeing a few YouTube videos with the inflatable just can't tell if it comes with the tent or I would need to buy one

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although it seems like a clever idea, it is very limited in actual function. Once you set it up, you are there. Setting up and packing up will be cumbersome unless you have another mode of transportation OR intend to stay where you are. If you are into rough camping, you will not want a truck with you.
But those are my feelings. You may love it.
sounds perfect for a camp out concert festival

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a truck tent in my 02 Toyota Tacoma and made a mattress to fit the bed. It worked well and I used it on several desert trips. It was nice to be off the ground and setup went quickly with no worrys of it blowing away. I'm trying to find it, to see if it'll fit the Ridgeline, I may have given it away. The one I had was actually made for a Nissan Frontier, but seems like it would fit our trucks too, and I got it on a special for less then half the price. Without the big wheel wells, the Ridgeline will have a bit more room making it easier to sleep 2! I was able to move it without issue at low speeds. It was a sportZ and I had no problems with it. If it's gone I may look at the options more closely.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
bought my tent from a former ridgeline owner that never set it up. was brand new in the box & feel like $150 was a bargain. it was raining when i got the tent but was so anxious to put it up i did it in the garage. i know they say one person can put it up but having my wife was really helpful, especially when setting the poles. it took some adjustments but thought it looked great after i got everything worked out. i have a bed cover that rolls up to the back window so i wasn't able to get the tent all the way back but it worked fine. here are a few pics.

·
Registered
2019 BE
16 Posts
I purchased one of these this summer as well. I haven't used it yet, but the first time set up was very easy. As ptguard mentioned, with a helper it goes up quickly. Everything is color coded, the instructions are helpful, and if you've set up other tents before, you should have no problems. Now I'm just trying to decide on what mattress to buy. I'd be happy to hear any recommendations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The one shown in my pic is a full. Sims show 54” wide & with bed showing 50” it makes a nice snug fit. I’ve heard others have even used a queen size.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For those using these tents, what kind of camping are you doing?

This tent prevents you from actually driving your truck, so you are stuck and can't drive anywhere.
No exploring surrounding areas, driving to a trailhead/lake, going to a store/restaurant, ect.

Do you not find it inconvenient that you lose all of the storage in your bed?
To set up camp, you literally have to unload everything out of the bed in order to set up your tent.
Do you just pile up all your supplies (food, coolers, clothes, chairs, ect.) on the ground?

And how scratched up does your truck get with this tent?
By my count, there are between 8 - 12 straps that rub the pain/body of the truck.
It has to mar the paint & trim to some extent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For us it isn’t an issue. We plan to use this for a lot of “one nighters” during a vacation route. Room is not an issue for us as the back seat area provides tons of room with seats up. If we need to go somewhere we will either slide the tent/mattress out of the truck onto the ground or take it completely down. I can tell once we get the hang of it we could put the tent up in 15-20 mins, so that’s not a big deal to me. As for the straps, I use some cheesecloth to protect the paint but you really don’t tighten the straps down that tight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For us it isn’t an issue. We plan to use this for a lot of “one nighters” during a vacation route. Room is not an issue for us as the back seat area provides tons of room with seats up. If we need to go somewhere we will either slide the tent/mattress out of the truck onto the ground or take it completely down. I can tell once we get the hang of it we could put the tent up in 15-20 mins, so that’s not a big deal to me. As for the straps, I use some cheesecloth to protect the paint but you really don’t tighten the straps down that tight.
So what advantages do you see with this setup over a traditional tent?

The only thing I can think of is being off the ground to avoid bugs??
Is there anything else I'm missing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
first, let me say, we aren't day in & day out campers so i can't speak to all the advantages of a regular tent, which i'm sure includes much more room. we just liked the custom ridgeline tent for us because 1) it's just the two of us, 2) room inside is not a priority, 3) my wife really likes the fact we're off the ground (some years ago in yellowstone we had a minor bear scare in a ground tent), & 4) we will rarely spend more than one night at a time tent camping.

everything we need is pretty compact & fits in the ridgeline trunk (tent, mattress, table, griddle). we keep everything else we need on one side of the back seat area so there's not a big need to carry things in the bed. with our back seats up we find we have plenty of room for luggage as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got close to buying the Honda tent, love the concept, but got stuck on that issue of not being able to drive easily with the tent already installed after we reach the campground. Also already own standard tent that goes on the ground that is faster to setup than the Honda tent appears to be per the videos, and my ground tent that I already own that goes up faster is also larger.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Got close to buying the Honda tent, love the concept, but got stuck on that issue of not being able to drive easily with the tent already installed after we reach the campground. Also already own standard tent that goes on the ground that is faster to setup than the Honda tent appears to be per the videos, and my ground tent that I already own that goes up faster is also larger.
I also can't imagine getting in/out of the truck bed tent on a regular basis. I'm not sure how you do it without a step stool.
Most people already have to 'boost' themselves up just to sit on the tailgate, and with the tent, you are adding another 6" of height from the air mattress.
And what do you do with your wet/dirty shoes?

Seems much more troublesome than simply using a traditional tent, with little to no advantages over a regular tent.

·
Registered
2019 BE
16 Posts
I get that this tent is not for everyone. We've got a cabin-type place and a key reason for purchasing was to have an additional sleeping space. Sure we could have used one of the other tents we own, but being off the ground and using only the space that the truck uses is a plus to me. I also like the fact that I can throw it under the back seat and know that wherever I go I've got a place to sleep. I have some concerns about scratching, but I think those can be alleviated a few different ways and the straps are not all that abrasive. It does come down and go up fairly easily.

Heck, many of the same arguments against the Honda tent could be made against the BE - why spend the money for a BE over an RTL??

Like so many of the mods/add-ons that are discussed here, is the Honda tent necessary? Of course not. Are there other options that better for some folks? Sure. But it was a decent price, it suits my needs, I like it, and the folks who have one seem to like it as well.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts