Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get that this tent is not for everyone. We've got a cabin-type place and a key reason for purchasing was to have an additional sleeping space. Sure we could have used one of the other tents we own, but being off the ground and using only the space that the truck uses is a plus to me. I also like the fact that I can throw it under the back seat and know that wherever I go I've got a place to sleep. I have some concerns about scratching, but I think those can be alleviated a few different ways and the straps are not all that abrasive. It does come down and go up fairly easily.

Heck, many of the same arguments against the Honda tent could be made against the BE - why spend the money for a BE over an RTL??

Like so many of the mods/add-ons that are discussed here, is the Honda tent necessary? Of course not. Are there other options that better for some folks? Sure. But it was a decent price, it suits my needs, I like it, and the folks who have one seem to like it as well.
exactly. is it for everyone? no. it fits what we were looking for. we have a folding 3 step ladder that fits perfect in the trunk we use to get in & out of the tent. no biggie for us. we aren't hardcore campers that are staying multiple nights in a tent but it makes a really cheap option for road trips if you don't want to foot $150 for a hotel room & we love the outdoors so much it just seem like a good fit for us.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I also can't imagine getting in/out of the truck bed tent on a regular basis. I'm not sure how you do it without a step stool. Most people already have to 'boost' themselves up just to sit on the tailgate, and with the tent, you are adding another 6" of height from the air mattress.
And what do you do with your wet/dirty shoes? Seems much more troublesome than simply using a traditional tent, with little to no advantages over a regular tent.
Although this is not the tent being discussed, it is my solution to a stool and dirty shoes. I carry camp stuff in dairy crates and serve double duty as step stools and tables around the campfire. I see no advantage to a bed-mounted tent if you plan on driving your vehicle after setting up camp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a Napier truck tent last month. Cost like $189CAD at Canadian Tire. The official Honda one up here is like $500+. I love it. The only thing is there's a bit of an excess tarp floor material because the bed is so shallow. If you can get the Honda one for a reasonable price, the fitment will be a bit better but up in Canada the markup is huge. Super happy with the non-Honda specific one.
20200624_165549.jpg

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
392 Posts
Just curious, I know it has a front opening so you can get to the cab(if you have a the slider window) which would be great to cool or heat the tent a bit.

But if the Ridge is running/idling do you get smoked out by the exhaust?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts