Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
573 Posts
2020 RTL-E AWD here, Forest River R-Pod RP-196. 3700'ish "dry", but around 4400 loaded (Trailer GVWR around 4900 I think). All of the 190 series should be towable, but will be at or near the limit. (RP-201/202 are probably just out of the range of Ridgeline.) Definitely can't suggest enough to get weighed for anyone towing at or near the limits to be sure.

TLDR:
  • don't go over 4k "dry", but really don't get trailer with over 5k GVWR (and don't overload your trailer).
  • use WDH know how to use it (i.e. have it dialed in when loaded)
  • trailer & vehicle loading is important (probably want a good bit more than 10% tongue weight)
  • did I mention?: get it weighed

I have numerous trip reports and lots of details about my rig, weighing, and dialing-in, all linked on my profile page.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My head was starting to spin with all the trailer axle weights but I get the drift.
Sorry, unfortunately, after lots of research, I came to the conclusion that it's totally possible and safe to tow near or at the limit, however it's just not as simple as not exceeding only "one" or even two numbers. There are multiple numbers we need to pay attention to and ensure we do not exceed any one of them. (each axle max, tongue weight max, payload max, trailer axle max, etc). Usually if the tow vehicle is significantly outsizing the trailer, then most of the time it doesn't matter so much, i.e. pulling 5k trailer w/ half-ton, etc. But even with these 10k numbers on some half-tons, you have to do the exact same thing (look at all the numbers carefully) with half-tons - as many will find that you can't even get close to 10k trailer (looking at you Tundra & F150... in reality it's more like 7 or 8k tops.)
For me, the exercise is about knowing and piece of mind that I'm keeping my rig within design limits (which I'm confident that Honda engineers have built in ample safety margins).

average MPG goes to about 10-11
Yes, more or less. My general rule of thumb is that MPG is cut in half. I pretty much need to plan on stopping for gas every 200 miles. It does require some forethought and planning on longer road trips across more sparse areas (looking at you west Wyoming).
Going up steep grades this could be like 7-9 MPG, but on straight & level with favorable winds, it could be 13+.

Recently coming back from Texas panhandle to DFW area, we had significant quartering winds about 15-20 MPH. The MPG was low (9-10) and the wind made it interesting to handle. You could definitely feel the wind pushing us around. Regardless of wind conditions, I always feel the suck-in/push-out of large displacement vehicles like semis when they pass. Generally I understand the situation overall to be safe, as I do not get any sustained sway - the rig should go back to stable when the external input (wind/push) is removed. The real problems come if/when the rig continues to sway, as this can oscillate out of control

FWIW, I dont personally have any experience with bigger trailers or tow vehicles, but my next door neighbor tows a 28'ish foot bumper pull trailer (around 7-8k# i think?) behind a newer F250, and they also noted that in very windy conditions, it can be interesting w.r.t. sway.
So I suspect that any trailer & tow vehicle combination where the trailer is close to the same weight as the TV will have similar handling. I'm guessing you'd have to oversize the TV to remove that feel.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well, don't take my word for it, but I would suggest anyone towing be very familiar with the Towing A Trailer section of their owners manual. It unfortunately does not limit itself to the same desired level of low simplicity. It does go into essentially the same things as I mention above.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Forest River has a few similar families in the “19” range, each sort of having their own unique variations, but nearly identical material construction:
rpod
e-pro
geo-pro
no-bo
ibex

you can also use their trailer finder, but unfortunately it won’t let you search by max GVWR, but instead max UVW (dry weight). So you can set max weight to something like 3800 and look at the results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts