Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E; 2021 Flagstaff EPro e19FD trailer
30 Posts
Hi "ET",

I tow an EPro 19FD (20' length) with a '19 RTL-E, and use an Andersen weight distribution hitch. Last trip to Emerald Isle, we stopped by a CAT scale which showed:
- Steer Axle: 2640 #
- Drive Axle: 3000 #
- Trailer Axle: 3380 #
- Gross: 9020 #

This was with full fuel, 20 gallons of fresh water, empty gray and black water tanks, and usual tools. Pretty much the way we usually roll, except no generator (Honda EU2200i) this time. I believe all the weights are within limits, though a little close on the Drive Axle. (Sticker on the Ridgeline door pillar indicates a 3200# limit on the rear axle., 3100# on the front.) I probably should crank a little more weight to the front axle with the Andersen WDH, but I'll need to snip a link on the chains first.

I use a ScanGauge to monitor ATF temp and Lockup Clutch Current, and lately have been towing in D4 at ~60mph. The Ridgeline seems quite happy towing in this config, with tranny temp <190F and LUC at the 1200ma max most of the time. MPG is 12-13. That said, I did just purchase a B&M transmission cooler that I've not installed as yet. I plan to install in series with the OEM cooler. I hope to mitigate the risk to the 6-speed tranny.

I suspect you'd be quite happy with the extra range and control that the 9-speed offers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We like Kerr Lake. Been twice with the Ridgeline and EPro. It's a pretty easy pull up US-1 from Raleigh. We have no watercraft, but I've been toying with the notion of an inflatable 2-person kayak. Better still would be a short (less than 5') 2-person pedal boat that might ride over a reinforced tonneau cover. (But I haven't found one yet.)

I'd also like to go the other way on 58 towards the hills. I remember many family camping trips to Rocky Knob when I was a youngster. A couple years ago we took the Ridgeline on a road trip (no towing) to Mabry Mill for some buckwheat pancakes. On the return trip we drove thru the Rocky Knob campground--the day before seasonal closing--and I imagined what it would be like to have the EPro up there. Now that I've added a supplemental tranny cooler, I'm less leary about the pull. Just gotta do it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The EPro has a rigid, walkable roof. I'm not sure of the underlying structure, but it feels quite sturdy. I've been up several times. It has a waterproof plastic membrane that is sealed at the edges. The roof is also domed, which is probably for aerodynamic purposes, but has the added benefit of shedding water and leaves.

I agree about an extra 1000# of tow capacity. It seems that tandem axle travel trailers start in the 5-6000# range. While I have no complaints with the ride while towing a single axle trailer, I'd sure like the security of a tandem axle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts