Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most reviewers have had complaints about the 8" info screen. They seem to like the one in the GM Twins much better. My last truck was a GMC Canyon and I really don't see a problems with either one. The Ridgeline doesn't have the radio knob like the Canyon but I have just adapted to using the volume on the steering wheel.

Mine does everything it's suppose to do, so what else are they expecting?

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
I have a RTL and avoided it and saved some money. I like a volume knob personally and use it.

But, after having a bunch of rental cars the best one out there IMO is the Chrysler version of the touch screen. The 8" one. It's the easiest to use and has the best layout. Honda obviously didn't look at what was an obviously better choice in User Interfaces.

Steve not totally happy with the 5" RTL version either. The Bluetooth portion sucks and the voice commanding portion sucks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
As a long time Garmin Navi user, Garmin has the absolute worst, AND the absolute best, version of navi software. THANK goodness this truck comes with the best (the one with ZIP entry). So that's a big plus.

The audio display however, the font is so big, for first graders, that words don't fit. Real lame in my book.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I haven't read one positive review of Honda's interface and the complaints don't stop at the lack of a knob. I, for one, think its way too slow and the new version in the Odyssey has upgraded software to improve the performance. So Honda realizes it could be better as well.
My brother has a 5 year old Sebring convertible with UConnect that runs circles around the RL interface.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I, too, was spoiled by Chrysler's infotainment offerings in a Ram 1500 and Dodge Durango. The Honda unit doesn't compare in UI or speed. I also couldn't stand the fingerprints, so I purchased an anti-glare screen protector almost immediately. Everyone should try one of those, if they are tired of cleaning the screen. The lack of a volume knob doesn't bother me as much anymore, as I have become accustomed to using the steering wheel volume control, but a knob would be handy. Looks like it will be offered in the next year's model.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I find it works very well once you get to know how it works. I think the biggest issue is the non user friendly interface. In other words you have to learn how to use it as opposed to it being intuitive. Kinda like DOS compared to windows. LOL.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Some of things:

* Just try to figure out how to find HD/HD2/HD3 stations.
* Once you find and save, try to figure out which is which
* Just try to directly enter a SiriusXM number or jump to near number in list
* Just try to switch from a fave FM to a fave SXM
* Just try to read the full name of the song without touching radio
* Try to go anywhere in the system in less than 60 taps
* Just try to operate the radio with gloves
* Try to toggle between the Song Name and other RDS fields
* Just try to keep it on when you shut the car off
* After it goes off, just try to quickly get back into it to hear the remaining news/song or whatever
* Why does it constantly ask you if you want to connect when you connect to Car Play... and if you choose yes it says no.
* Try to get your already established phone call to come up on carplay
* Just try to turn the navigation prompt audio up and down like on other cars, by using the volume control
* Try to mute/unmute navigation prompts while on a call
* Just try to play any file other than an mp3
* Try to use siri in the 1 second allotted window you have to respond
* Try use the dictate microphone on your phone and then go back to normal operation on your stereo
* Try not to get fingerprints on it
* If you mute a call on your phone, try to unmute it from the dash
* Try to call a contact that has more than one number in their list

There are so many more.. but not being in front of it, I can't visualize it. And there are probably easy answers to these... but they are not immediately intuitive.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
People keep messing with Honda and they are going to give use double stack screens like Acura.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of things:

* Just try to figure out how to find HD/HD2/HD3 stations.
* Once you find and save, try to figure out which is which
* Just try to directly enter a SiriusXM number or jump to near number in list
* Just try to switch from a fave FM to a fave SXM
* Just try to read the full name of the song without touching radio
* Try to go anywhere in the system in less than 60 taps
* Just try to operate the radio with gloves
* Try to toggle between the Song Name and other RDS fields
* Just try to keep it on when you shut the car off
* After it goes off, just try to quickly get back into it to hear the remaining news/song or whatever
* Why does it constantly ask you if you want to connect when you connect to Car Play... and if you choose yes it says no.
* Try to get your already established phone call to come up on carplay
* Just try to turn the navigation prompt audio up and down like on other cars, by using the volume control
* Try to mute/unmute navigation prompts while on a call
* Just try to play any file other than an mp3
* Try to use siri in the 1 second allotted window you have to respond
* Try use the dictate microphone on your phone and then go back to normal operation on your stereo
* Try not to get fingerprints on it
* If you mute a call on your phone, try to unmute it from the dash
* Try to call a contact that has more than one number in their list

There are so many more.. but not being in front of it, I can't visualize it. And there are probably easy answers to these... but they are not immediately intuitive.
I think your expectations are just a little unreasonable.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I think your expectations are just a little unreasonable.
Easily remedied... you point out what is unreasonable, and let the others give you their thoughts.

Some folks settle. Some don't. If it works for you, fantastic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts