Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Gen 1 Ridgeline. All my friends gave me grief for not buying a real truck. But when I told them that it drove like a car, had a trunk and I could carry a stack of 4x8 plywood, they stopped teasing.

I just bough the Gen 2 and I am in love with it. But I don't understand the haters. While this truck resides in a mid-size truck market, it really isn't a mid sized truck. It is a really nice car with a bit of suspension and a truck bed. That's the market that Honda was targeting and I fit squarely into that market. So, when people talk about its limited offroad capabilities, I agree with Honda that only a very small percentage of people would ever take their $40k truck offroad. When they talk about it only having 5k towing capacity instead of 6500 lbs, I agree with Honda that somewhere around 3% of the market actually hook their truck up to a trailer... much less a trailer that weighs over 5k.

Bottom line is... the overwhelming majority of us use our trucks like a car, with the occasional load being put in the bed. That's where this truck shines. I just bough my wife a Lexus NX300 and I think that my RTL-T drives as well, is as comfortable, and has equal amenities as her $50k Lexus. Plus I can carry a full sheet of drywall if I want!

The Ridgeline and other midsize trucks are like apples and oranges. Those who complain about the Ridgeline and say they would rather have a Taco, would be the same people who complain that the their apple has a red peel, unlike their orange. It's a different animal altogether.

So, if you are on the fringe of the biggest part of the midsize truck market, where you really are a serious offroader, or you really tow more than 5k, then obviously you wanted an orange and not an apple. But if you are like the bulk of the market who appreciate the incredible ride, drive and amenities that the ridgeline has to offer, then an apple is exactly what you wanted.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
While this truck resides in a mid-size truck market, it really isn't a mid sized truck. It is a really nice car with a bit of suspension and a truck bed.
I am actually curious to hear from one of the non-haters, what it is about the Ridgeline that makes it "not a truck".

It's not because of it's cargo capacity or two rating as it's higher than both the 4 cylinder GM twins or the 4 cylinder Tacoma, which nobody would argue are not trucks. It's certainly not because of the unibody construction or the independent suspension or the G1 isn't a truck either. So what is it about the G2 that makes people so eager to say that it isn't a truck?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stop being ridiculous, everybody knows that anecdotes and woodshedding in a forum for a few years will trump decades of experience and data from being a major player in the auto industry.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,599 Posts
Some of you new guys need to learn the difference between criticism and hate. Those of us who've been around the ROC for a while had much different expectations of the G2 RL than what was delivered. Honda holds their cards pretty close so no one really knew what to expect.

I'm happy that many seem to like the G2 RL. I hope it's a success. But I really hope Honda will develop the G1 RL in some areas they ignored this time and have two products; the Pilot Pickup (G2 RL) and the Ridgeline (differentiated from the Pilot line) with more truck-ish features.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So why all the hate?

Seems to me that many posts critical of the second generation
were from people who had a generation one, and who had
stood by the old truck, defending it, and hoping that if a new
one ever appeared, it would vindicate all the time and energy
they had spent [not to mention keeping the forum running].

They had hopes, expectations and fantasies of what the new
truck would be.

It was not to be.

The critics sound and act as if they were betrayed by Honda.

Instead of weighing in on the plusses and minuses, and
making constructive suggestions to Honda, many have
behaved as if they feel ENTITLED to be rude and offensive,
as well as demeaning to new fans of the Ridgeline.

The bitterness sounds a lot like what you might see or hear
from a spurned lover.

You DO know what they say about a women spurned.

Mike

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Im not a "hater" I love my G1 just expected more front end clearance a deeper box, some knobs instead of touch, a column shifter, open floor between front seats, no arm rests, being able to carry a full size spare, a rear window that opens in a trim I can afford, if "I" wanted a lift I could put one in, if "I" wanted a bit larger tire I could put them on. I could go on but why do you people call us "haters". I built a cabin, home improvements, many decks, fences, haul many loads of wood, towed many boats, sleds, atvs, camper trailers, I know it will still be able to do it but look at it. I have big issues with clearance because of the plastic crap in front for mpgs. Lets not start takin about its got more clearance then a competitor but they have options that one can play with. They made that front way low. Hey some of us do travel off road and dont need a "crawler" as we have been pegged with. Gen 1 rocked it just needed a bit of an up grade. Honda chose the way they want to go in away rainbow not that theirs anything wrong with that, glad it fits "your needs". Happy Trails if you ever drive them. Were not "haters" just big time disappointed.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
some of you new guys need to learn the difference between criticism and hate. Those of us who've been around the roc for a while had much different expectations of the g2 rl than what was delivered. Honda holds their cards pretty close so no one really knew what to expect.

I'm happy that many seem to like the g2 rl. I hope it's a success. But i really hope honda will develop the g1 rl in some areas they ignored this time and have two products; the pilot pickup (g2 rl) and the ridgeline (differentiated from the pilot line) with more truck-ish features.
thank you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Gen 2 kinda reminds me of the old Ford Ranchero and Chevy El Camino.....with an added back seat. That's not a criticism-I like the 'half way between a SUV and pickup truck' look.
As far as towing goes, if I wanted a pickup truck that could haul a heavy load I would look elsewhere and probably buy a full sized truck (for around the same price).

The reality is potential buyers either accept this truck for what it is, or buy something else, because I seriously doubt Honda will implement many changes over this new vehicle's production run.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,418 Posts
... The bitterness sounds a lot like what you might see or hear from a spurned lover. You DO know what they say about a women spurned. ...
I think you're spot on Mike. I'm one of those that feel like a betrayed lover. I have grown to love my Gen1, but I still need a little more towing the GCWR and was hoping beyond hope that Gen2 would come with greater numbers (maybe 6,000 lbs of towing). What they decided to produce can't meet my needs and I so wanted it to. Now I'm left wanting and I don't like the interior of the GM twins (not enough space) and I can't park a full-size truck in my employer's parking garage. So, I think I'm stuck with my Gen1 and will continue to push it beyond its capabilities until it gives up on me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not all G1 owners are put off by the G2. I think there are quite a few that just haven't spoken up. I had a 2009 RTL that I swore I would run into the ground before buying another vehicle.

I've always used my truck for snowboarding, mountain biking, kayaking, and tailgating. Occasionally, it found some mulch in the back or a trailer towed behind for moving between homes.

I've always been more of an interior guy as this is what you spend the majority of your time actually using. Honda greatly upgraded the features of the G2 and made a great daily driver with truck capabilities. If I recall, critics weren't as favorable to the G1 as they have been to the G2. Now the bed is wider and can accommodate more. Sure, the bed height may not be up to par, but that is what tie downs are for. Secure it properly and it won't go anywhere.

I will admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the G2 just from months of researching, but when release day approached it really sold me. Just go see it in person, drive it, and then make a decision. Some have said they hoped Honda would do a redesign mid-model year like the civic, but that's not going to happen. The civic community is much larger than RL community will ever be (by distribution alone) and not everyone is disappointed.

Long story short - the hate isn't universal.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
So why all the hate?

Seems to me that many posts critical of the second generation
were from people who had a generation one, and who had
stood by the old truck, defending it, and hoping that if a new
one ever appeared, it would vindicate all the time and energy
they had spent [not to mention keeping the forum running].

They had hopes, expectations and fantasies of what the new
truck would be.

It was not to be.

The critics sound and act as if they were betrayed by Honda.

Instead of weighing in on the plusses and minuses, and
making constructive suggestions to Honda, many have
behaved as if they feel ENTITLED to be rude and offensive,
as well as demeaning to new fans of the Ridgeline.

The bitterness sounds a lot like what you might see or hear
from a spurned lover.

You DO know what they say about a women spurned.

Mike
We hoped Honda was in away listening for the last many years to many of us "critics" besides "rude and offensive" you also call us give me a break and go get your ribbon. And I havent even seen it yet could buy one but still have an opinion, opinion, opinion how many time must we say this. Is this Forum getting to be just for lover maybe owners. $hit not many have even seen this thing yet, I have a $40,000 cooler wanna buy it, its white an inch thick and the top opens two ways.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Let me start by saying I bought an RTL-E on 6/17 and have driven it about 700 miles as of today. I traded in a 2006 G1 that I loved.

It's important to take into account that this forum was created by G1 lovers, by and large. The G2 is not aimed squarely at that group, but at a broader group of customers who Honda hopes will like the various features of the Ridgeline, but not the unique appearance. It's somewhat inevitable that people who loved the G1 will not be entirely pleased with the G2 for various reasons.

I am pleased with my purchase and so far consider the G2 superior overall, especially in the safety and accessory area. It comes with some space and appearance trade-offs. I drove a unique vehicle. I now drive a vehicle that is hard to differentiate from the competition, appearance-wise, and that has less space.

These are realities for me. I loved my G1. I don't hate the G2. I prefer it overall, but I miss aspects of the G1.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Those with 1/2 tons will tease your tiny truck. Those with 3/4 tons will tease those tiny 1/2 tons. Those 1 ton truck owners will tease those 3/4 tons. Then there are those with 6 tires that tease all of the above toys; need I continue with OTR trucks?

Reactions: Shineaholic

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Hate, not really. I've owned 2 gen 1's. Will I buy a gen 2, not in the near future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im not a "hater" I love my G1 just expected more front end clearance a deeper box, some knobs instead of touch, a column shifter, open floor between front seats, no arm rests, being able to carry a full size spare, a rear window that opens in a trim I can afford, if "I" wanted a lift I could put one in, if "I" wanted a bit larger tire I could put them on. I could go on but why do you people call us "haters". I built a cabin, home improvements, many decks, fences, haul many loads of wood, towed many boats, sleds, atvs, camper trailers, I know it will still be able to do it but look at it. I have big issues with clearance because of the plastic crap in front for mpgs. Lets not start takin about its got more clearance then a competitor but they have options that one can play with. They made that front way low. Hey some of us do travel off road and dont need a "crawler" as we have been pegged with. Gen 1 rocked it just needed a bit of an up grade. Honda chose the way they want to go in away rainbow not that theirs anything wrong with that, glad it fits "your needs". Happy Trails if you ever drive them. Were not "haters" just big time disappointed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Not all G1 owners are put off by the G2.
Long story short - the hate isn't universal.
True enough, I have owned a G1 for 10 years and just drove the G2 today. It is not as much of a "truck" as the G1, just like the G1 was not as much of a "truck" as other brands. I find it ironic that the haters that owned G1s complain about the further movement away from "truck".

I consider, after driving the G2, that it is better in almost every way than my G1, which I really do like. But the G1 is 2006 tech and that just will not cut it anymore for me.

I am currently in the process of finding a dealer that can get me a 7500-10,000 plus VIN range preorder on an RTL-E.

The haters can do whatever they want but I drove one and I liked it and I will buy one, thier opinion counts 100% for them and exactly 0% for me.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Those with 1/2 tons will tease your tiny truck. Those with 3/4 tons will tease those tiny 1/2 tons. Those 1 ton truck owners will tease those 3/4 tons. Then there are those with 6 tires that tease all of the above toys; need I continue with OTR trucks?
One reviewer on an automotive site suggested that the Ridgeline was not good enough for some guys because it did not have enough load capacity for all their testosterone. Thier words, not mine.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I had a Gen 1. I like the new Ridgeline, very much. But I don't like the smaller rear door opening, nor the spare tire situation, and I loathe the trims. The sunroof and sliding rear glass should be on the RTL. You shouldn't have to go the two highest trims to get it.
I like how it looks, both exterior and interior, very much. The drivers seat is mighty comfortable. The trims I can get over because I'd wait and buy one at invoice which would negate the horrible trims. I can get over the spare tire situation too. The rear doors only opening wide enough for a midget might kill it for me though. I'm in no hurry so I will drive it in the next couple of months, see if I can ram my dog crate into the rear passenger area, and read the forum to see if there are any first year issues. I don't want any nannies, certainly don't want to pay for them at all, but I want my sunroof and sliding rear glass so that means a RTL-E with their crap head unit, which I do not like. It's possible that I may still buy, but it will definitely be at 4K off on a E or I have no interest, or invoice on a plain RTL as that is $32.5k. For that price I could deal, but what I really want they don't offer. A plain RTL with moonroof and sliding rear glass. I'd like to put my own head unit and stereo in because this will be the last truck I ever buy and that head unit will be obsolete in 5 years.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'd like to put my own head unit and stereo in because this will be the last truck I ever buy and that head unit will be obsolete in 5 years.
Disagree. As long as it has Android Auto and Apple Carplay, the interface will be kept up to date as that is what they do, like clockwork, every few months....

I would also point out that many of the complaints are very person specific (bed height, armrest, and more). Honda could not possibly have satisfied everyone because if they had done one thing they make one group unhappy and if they did the opposite they make another group unhappy. Someone is always gonna be unhappy. They had to make a choice at some point and if that choice pleases a customer, it is "good" if it makes them unhappy, it is "bad". For me, the good simply outweighs the bad. There is no way that anyone is ever going to make a vehicle that makes me (or anyone else) 100% happy. It is just not possible.

Then there is the matter of alternatives. What vehicle with a bed has the quality record of Honda? None at all as far as I can see. Maybe Honda is not what it used to be, some have claimed that here, but it is still overall head and shoulders better than other makers of vehicles with a cargo bed. Do folks really want a Chevy or a Dodge or a Ford instead? Maybe they do but they are defying the documented customer satisfaction research if they make that choice.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Disagree. As long as it has Android Auto and Apple Carplay, the interface will be kept up to date as that is what they do, like clockwork, every few months....
And I disagree. We can do this all week. One technology change, one port change (such as lightning), or a major change to Bluetooth, worthless. Software and hardware change at a rapid rate. I wouldn't put any long term faith in any mfr provided head unit. And they are quite expensive. The mfr's also don't come out with newer versions that retrofit into your older vehicle. Thus, I'd rather have something I can yank out easier, replace easier, at a less cost. YMMV.

You think Honda is gonna be concerned with updating a head unit 5 years after the fact? I do not.

As far as the rest, some of us just expected some of the features, like rear door opening, to at least be as good as the previous generation, not worse. I think what you are seeing is folks stating too many negatives for $40k, just too many. They'd rather remain in their current vehicles and wait for something else new to come on market.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts