Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a hard time trying to figure exactly what my next truck was going to be. I wanted a swiss army knife vehicle in a way. Something I could have fun in, haul a bit, load a bit, hit the trails a bit, but still be VERY spacious and comfy:) I traded a 5.7L Hemi Grand Cherokee for my Ridgeline RTX and a year later... not a single regret. I'm still surprised myself. Can my Ridge crawl bolder-ridden streams as well as the Hemi GC? If the Ridge's suspension had the travel and would hold up, I believe so but I have no desire to push it quite that far.

I've installed the 2" Truxx lift with 265/70/17 Destination MTs on the Ridge and I'm loving it:) Will it get me in and out of every other offroad muck hole? Has so far with impressive results. Drop it low, engage VTM Lock, disengage VSA and watch it work! It continues to impress me (and I've been VERY skeptical). I mean, I did just come from a 300+ hp Hemi V8 Jeep with a 3" lift and MTs with an incredible 4wdLO! I really just wanted something more versatile. I found it:) I just recently had to pull a Ford F150 work truck out of a muddy hole and uphill. Never broke 1200rpms or slipped the first time. If that doesn't impress... I had to go back in the muck to haul out the box trailer the Ford was pulling (weighed 4955lbs btw. I knew that because of an unfortunate incident with VA State Troopers earlier that day where the trailer had to be weighed for some reason). Anyway, hooked up the trailer. Again, very skeptical given the 5000lb tow rating of the Ridgeline on dry pavement. Near maxed out haul, muddy hole, rutted out by the Ford, and gotta go uphill... Ridge never broke 1500rpm and you guessed it, no slipping:) It was hilarious to see my coworker's face. He said he'd never been rescued by a Honda! I'm sure the larger M/Ts I was riding helped in the muck but either way, the Ridgeline was an incredible tool to have at my disposal yet again.

Very spacious double cab, big enough bed unless you're a contractor, tows plenty for the weekend warrior, got to love the in-bed trunk, top it off with an incredible AWD system and Honda reliability... hard not to at least consider it. I chose it over the Wrangler Unlimited (no tow capacity), Tacoma TRD (small double cab), FJ Cruiser (quirky cool but not enough space), Colorado (didn't take long to mark this one off the list), and obviously my Hemi GC. I drove each one of these and some I drove multiple models. For me, the Ridgeline had everything I needed and nothing I didn't. I kept coming back to the Ridge over and over. This drove me crazy because I'm a HUGE Jeep and Toyota offroad fanboy.

If you need utility, space, and ability to head off the black top when the itch hits, check out the Ridgeline before you settle. It doesn't have near the aftermarket support (almost non-existent) of the Jeep or Yota but I was able to give it a nice stance with the MTs and 2" lift. Add a nice bull bar and a Yakima basket roof rack and you've got a pretty sweet (and fun to drive) get'r'doner. It's our friends official beach road trip wagon now lol. They love riding in it as much as I love driving it! I can't wait to see what the new model will have in store. Hopefully, a little better look (not a fan of the tiny-looking head lights). Hope this helps! There's a crap load of great info on ROC and I didn't know the best place to reply. So, I started a new thread. Hope I won't be struck down by the forum gods:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
An excellent post, glad you are enjoying your Ridgeline.

My assessment matches yours. After several decades of driving nothing but "Big 3" truck products, the Ridgeline wasn't even on my radar screen because I didn't think Honda could build a truck. After test driving it I was immediately sold, and after owning it for a year I had to admit to myself the truth -- it is the most versatile truck I have ever had, and I have had a bunch of them including the Dodge and Chevy that I currently own in addition to the Ridge.

A lot of people bash the Ridgeline, including many who own the current model but think Honda missed the boat on one score or another. Yeah it ain't perfect, but it's pretty darned good. The lead of the Ridgeline design team did an outstanding job, my hat is off to Gary Flint and his team.

If you want to see some interesting info on your Ridgeline, do a search on the forum for the Honda introductory material and Gary's early posts, they provided a large amount of detail that explains their design trades and will impress you even further with the Ridgeline's capabilities.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
An excellent post, glad you are enjoying your Ridgeline.

My assessment matches yours. After several decades of driving nothing but "Big 3" truck products, the Ridgeline wasn't even on my radar screen because I didn't think Honda could build a truck. After test driving it I was immediately sold, and after owning it for a year I had to admit to myself the truth -- it is the most versatile truck I have ever had, and I have had a bunch of them including the Dodge and Chevy that I currently own in addition to the Ridge.

A lot of people bash the Ridgeline, including many who own the current model but think Honda missed the boat on one score or another. Yeah it ain't perfect, but it's pretty darned good. The lead of the Ridgeline design team did an outstanding job, my hat is off to Gary Flint and his team.

If you want to see some interesting info on your Ridgeline, do a search on the forum for the Honda introductory material and Gary's early posts, they provided a large amount of detail that explains their design trades and will impress you even further with the Ridgeline's capabilities.
Got to spend a weekend with Gary in St Louis at a RL meet in 2007 I believe. Most knowledgable guy, gave us a through briefing on the RL from concept to the showroom. Gary should have been in charge of Honda marketing also, then RL sales would have soared.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
What a great post trav..... btw, you need to get your profile pic to show up on your posts! (I saw it when I clicked your handle).
Anyway, it sure would have generated a few smiles if we had video of that adventure. Hope you have many more in your future.

+1 on the pics of your truck, if you can post some! :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,865 Posts
Enjoyed your post trav. But you can improve it by putting some paragraphs in there!

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,071 Posts
Will it get me in and out of every other offroad muck hole? Has so far with impressive results. Drop it low, engage VTM Lock, disengage VSA and watch it work!
I'm glad you're loving the versatility and utility of your RL, but I have to caution you here. The VTM-4 Lock function is not to be used for long periods of time and you should NEVER turn the steering wheel while it's engaged. It puts a really heavy stress on the rear differential and you should only use the Lock to get yourself out if you somehow manage to get yourself stuck. If you put the transmission in "1" and crawl along, the auto 4WD system will work its magic all on its own. I've been in a few sticky situations and have never had to use the Lock function. This truck is a mountain goat.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'm glad you're loving the versatility and utility of your RL, but I have to caution you here. The VTM-4 Lock function is not to be used for long periods of time and you should NEVER turn the steering wheel while it's engaged. It puts a really heavy stress on the rear differential and you should only use the Lock to get yourself out if you somehow manage to get yourself stuck. If you put the transmission in "1" and crawl along, the auto 4WD system will work its magic all on its own. I've been in a few sticky situations and have never had to use the Lock function. This truck is a mountain goat.
That might be a little overstated. If you are on slippery surface (ice, some kinds of snow/mud/gravel) turning the wheel is not detrimental. But I agree you should be fine letting the truck do it's thing w/o lock engaged.

·
Super Moderator
22,865 Posts
Remember the primary advantage of using manual VTM-4 lock is that you have maximum rear wheel assist without having to use a large amount of throttle or the system needing to detect wheel spin before directing power to the rear wheels. The automatic VTM-4 lock uses various parameters to determine how much power to send to the rear wheels whereas the manual lock is fully powered even with low throttle input, right from the start.

I can see an advantage to using manual VTM-4 lock in such a slippery condition.

I don't like how Honda uses vague terms such as not to use the manual lock for long periods of time. That is wide open for interpretation. If it's a temperature related limit, then put a temp sensor in there with a readout on the panel so we can tell when the temp is rising and approaching the limit, whatever that may be. I am not a fan of idiot lights.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
That might be a little overstated. If you are on slippery surface (ice, some kinds of snow/mud/gravel) turning the wheel is not detrimental. But I agree you should be fine letting the truck do it's thing w/o lock engaged.
I don't see that being an issue as long as the truck itself is going in a straight line. When locked, both wheels are turning at the same time at the same speed with maximum force applied to the rear diff. If you make a sharp turn with the outside wheel trying to turn faster than the inside wheel, that's when things start to be stressed beyond their limits and can cause damage or failures. I would just err on the side of caution and let the VTM-4 do what it's designed to do until you get REALLY stuck. :act024:

·
Super Moderator
22,865 Posts
True. But in slippery conditions, it should never be an issue.

Just like a conventional 4wd, never lock those on dry pavement either. There has to be driveline slip in order for the 4wd not to bind up. If you manually lock the VTM-4 and back up on gravel in reverse while turning, you can hear the outside wheel slip in the gravel. That is relieving the driveline bind/stress.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Agreed. Nevertheless, to get back on topic, the RL satisfies darn near every need I could ever have for a vehicle. It's fun to drive in its own right even though it couldn't, in any possible way, be called "fast". It has enough power to get out of its own way when I need it to and it has done everything I've ever asked of it. At its age and mileage, it's held its value extremely well and it's satisfying to know that I COULD trade it in for a nice chunk of equity. However, this ol' girl is going to be with me until death do us part. Even after she "dies", I'll likely still want to fix it. I have no reason to not have this truck.... ever.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yeah that's me too. I've added a sound system, bluetooth and BU camera. I tried to buy something new 3 different times but I don't think it's gonna happen til at least 200k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pic added:)

I had actually contemplated adding a 2010 4Runner to my "garage". But the more I drive my Ridge, the less I care about driving anything else. Sounds crazy but I'm seriously captivated by my Ridge. Can't wait to take it camping!

I'm working on updating my ROC profile, so any tips would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Nice looking truck! Just curious, but how much is your speedometer off by using the 70-series tires as opposed to the 65's?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made a typo.. My shoes are 265/70/17 not 245s. I doubt theyve changed the speedo much but it does seem to be about 2-4mph faster than the speedo shows.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I always use the tire size calculator through Miata.net. It's very helpful. Stock tire size is 245/65/17 for the 2007. If you have 265/70/17 on your truck, you're actually travelling 64.2mph when the speedometer says 60mph. If you do have 245/70/17, it's not as bad - actually travelling at 62mph when the speedo shows 60. Just an FYI!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks IanRTL! That info is good to know for sure. It's amazing to think sizing up a bit to 265/70's makes that much of a difference.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Thanks IanRTL! That info is good to know for sure. It's amazing to think sizing up a bit to 265's makes that much of a difference.
No problem! That info could be the difference between getting a ticket and not. "I was only going 62, officer." + "I clocked you at 66." = Ticket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts