Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of people here saying wait for the magic VIN of 10,000 before buying, but there are 9,999 of us who didn't wait. Why? My reasoning is my 08 G1 RTL has 150,000 miles on it. I'll be needing new tires in about 3 months ($1000), brakes by next inspection ($400), A13 service due now ($75), PA state inspection ($100), and a new wining noise I think coming from the transmission ($1000??) and new PA registration ($85) that comes to at least $2600 I would be spending and not increasing my trade in value. So for me it was kind of a no brainer, besides Honda made me wait so long for the G2 to come out that helped with the push. I pulled the trigger and ordered a BE at $550.00 off of list. Hope to have my sweaty little hands on it by the 3rd week of August.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. At 100k I'm looking at timing belt/water pump, coolant, spark plugs, and the tires will be about ready to go too. I'm at 88k now, so I have a bit to go and can wait for VIN 11000. What I'm wondering is with the scarcity of RTL-E trims nationwide, how soon should I make a move to find a silver one with black interior. When I last looked on cars.com on Saturday there were only 178 E's listed nationwide. The closest silver with black was in Denver. That's a long way from Houston.

Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've always wanted a truck that works for my life, the Ridgeline was perfect.
My car needed about 3500 dumped into it.
I found the color I wanted in the trim I wanted.
I couldn't sleep that night, woke up the next day knowing I was going to the dealer to buy it, assuming a deal could be made.
And including today, I have never been more happy driving in any other vehicle.

I could care less about the 10000 ridiculousness that someone made up. As if #9999 will be flawed and it took the guys building them that many tries to get them right.
Horsecrap.

·
Registered
970 Posts
10 years with the same G1 was great but it was lacking many of the features I wanted. If I had waited, it would have been spring and did not want to take the G1 thru another winter. I also need to make a trip in the fall to pick up some cargo and the G2 will be MUCH more pleasant on a long drive. MUCH.

Edit: Did I mention it is much more pleasant on trips? :grin:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I was the unproud 9 months owner of a '16 Tacoma Ltd 4x4 Double cab who was frustrated with a list of issues with this 'redesign', which was nothing more than a failed Gen 2.5.. I was unimpressed with the GM twins, and when the RL came out, I felt strong enough about it's pedigree (the Odyssey and Pilot) that it was a proven base. It was well worth the risk. So far, trouble free and loving it and happy that I made the choice. This Honda RL ROCKS!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I actually found a decent deal with no frivolous accessories added on with a decent discount. It's the truck I've been wanting for the last 5 years having good MPG's and has the TRUNK! Glad I didn't have to buy a Colorado.

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
I knew the 2017 Ridgeline was almost identical mechanically to the 2016 Pilot that had already been out for a year - same engine, 6-speed transmission, iVTM-4 unit, electronics, front interior - so I figured anything near a major catastrophe would have already shown up there. I also considered warnings from a certain member here with industry connections. I took some comfort in knowing that Honda would be responsible for making sure everything worked for the earlier of 3 years or 36,000 miles and that the powertrain worked for the earlier of 5 years or 60,000 miles. If history repeats, I'll have a different vehicle by then (which may or may not be a Ridgeline or any other Honda). Initially, I was opposed to the 2017 Ridgeline and was all but ready to give my farewell speech - largely due to those seat-mounted armrests. I thought the styling was a bit soft and odd (that must sound surprising coming from a 3x G1 owner who never cared for its styling). I was disappointed that it didn't get more than a 6-speed transmission. I didn't like the plastic cladding running the perimeter of the truck. Based on photos and descriptions, I really didn't care much for it at all. One day after work, I test drove one. After careful consideration, I drove one home two weeks later.

I've since fallen in love with the styling. I didn't "get it" at first. I once though Honda tried (unsuccessfully) to compete with traditional, full-size trucks with the first-generation Ridgeline. At first, I felt the second-generation Ridgeline was even farther in the wrong direction. Now, I understand where my thinking was wrong. The Ridgeline is supposed to have all the comfort, ride, handling, and features of a near-luxury sedan, but with most of the utility of a conventional pickup. In this regard, I feel that the second-generation Ridgeline comes much closer to this goal than did the first-generation model. Now, I still don't like the armrests. They're simply not as comfortable or useful to me. I've even grown to like and appreciate the giant "purse holder" between the front seats. Many of the other issues that are complained about such as lower ground clearance, no increase to towing capacity, and limited rear door opening don't affect me.

I've got a few minor concerns with my new Ridgeline, but nothing that has resulted in any regret or remorse. It starts, runs, drives, and everything works as advertised. I also strongly believe that the few concerns I have could present in the 100,000th Ridgeline just as easily as the 1,000th Ridgeline. I don't think that Honda would knowingly sell any "junk". Vehicles have grown incredibly complex and although I'm not excusing any manufacturer, it's rather amazing all the thousands of parts and dozens of computers work as well as they do, mile after mile, day after day, to move us efficiently, safely, and comfortably from one location to another.

If it so happens that my 2017 Ridgeline turns out to be "junk", then I'll add it to my growing list of former vehicles and try something else. Something tells me I wouldn't find anything any better.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was bored with my Jeep and wanted a midsize truck. Narrowed it to the Canyon and this and this won. A friend owns the Honda dealership so my deal as an early adopter was the same as it would have been later so that wasn't a consideration.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First, what's the magic in 100,000? I make my living as a scientist, so where's the proof? Like zroger says, after 1000, what's going to change. It's Honda. They'll fix it. Why not wait for 200,000 or a million? It's still made by humans and will still have flaws. It fits my needs better than the 2014 I had (which was an awesome truck). The ACC and seat memory features were a big deal for my wife and I. It gets better MPG. It's quieter, rides better, and has much better technology. My 2014 was never going to be worth more. I got what I wanted before the stampede hurt pricing and availability. I will pay it off sooner and remove another obstacle to retirement. Why wait?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I've been waiting for the next vehicle for 2 years. There was always an upcoming "next" model year release of some model or another so I told myself I needed to wait and see how it was. I also avoided first model year of redesigned vehicles. Rinse, repeat. I got tired of waiting as there was always something "new" on the horizon.

That coupled with the ridgeline was the only truck I wanted, I was about to spend at least $600 (probably more like $800) on my current SUV for tires/registration/maintenance, I was able to get a decent deal on a BE (~1k off MSRP), and I had a number of upcoming projects for which a truck would be useful.

Add them all up, and a new BE for me - first model year be damned.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've always bought Honda's. Never had a major problem with one. Bought a 2003 Pilot AWD the first year out with no problems. Honda is a relatively small company and cannot afford to put out a defective vehicle. So they are very conservative. So far rolling the dice has paid off with them. Any other company then I wouldn't take the chance.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a 2009 RTL + Nav with 86,000 miles on it. I made it to 80K miles before having to replace the brakes and rotors. That was the only significant service I had to have on the G1 and I didn't want to invest in any of the upcoming service. I drive a lot of city and was really getting sick of the G1 mpg so it was time to move on plus my wife has a 2014 civic with all the bells and whistles and I just wanted to get with the times.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was the unproud 9 months owner of a '16 Tacoma Ltd 4x4 Double cab who was frustrated with a list of issues with this 'redesign', which was nothing more than a failed Gen 2.5.. I was unimpressed with the GM twins, and when the RL came out, I felt strong enough about it's pedigree (the Odyssey and Pilot) that it was a proven base. It was well worth the risk. So far, trouble free and loving it and happy that I made the choice. This Honda RL ROCKS!
Like Doobiewah, I was the unproud owner of a '16 Toyota TRD 4x4 Sport DBL Cab. The Tacoma is crude compared to my new Black Edition. BE is so quiet, refined, responsive, good riding, comfortable, HAS POWER SEATS, all of the good things that the Tacoma didn't have. I couldn't wait to be rid of it. It had 2,000 miles on it. One thing the BE needs is a locking tailgate.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If it so happens that my 2017 Ridgeline turns out to be "junk", then I'll add it to my growing list of former vehicles and try something else. Something tells me I wouldn't find anything any better.
Dead on! I would trade for something else if it was a total dog that had endless problems. It would be another RL if it was just "early adopter" stuff and probably a luxury SUV (maybe Q7?) if it was a permanent dog. I have only just over 500 miles on it so it is too soon to tell but so far the above looks pretty unlikely. Guess my wife will get the spendy SUV when her Odyssey gets old. :frown:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been following the release of the new truck for months now and wanted a BE. Was able to get a deal done before it arrived at the dealership, so no dealer add-on features, and got it below MSRP. I am very glad I did as it seems there are very few LE or BE trucks available at the dealerships around here. I don't think there is any magic with the VIN numbers. My truck is in the 5000's. Very happy with it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
This made up idea of waiting for production number X of any vehicle is just silly. If you want a new vehicle, buy it. If you want to wait, go for it. To each their own. No one is "smarter" than an early adopter because they made themselves wait an extra year to buy something they wanted. First model year is not even a consideration in my mind when considering a new vehicle. If I want the car (for whatever reasons I may have) and can afford the car and it makes sense then I am going to buy it. I also don't like the feeling that early adopters for some reason need to justify their decision to those who didn't purchase early. You don't!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hear a lot of people here saying wait for the magic VIN of 10,000 before buying, but there are 9,999 of us who didn't wait. Why?
Cause I wanted to. :wink:

Seriously, for me it was about timing.

1. My 2005 Tacoma was getting close to needing some investments in tires and possibly transmission work.
  2. My older son is ten and I want to be done with paying for my truck before I have to worry about getting him something.
  3. I had driven my Taco for 11+ years. My previous longest stint with a vehicle was a Jeep for six years. I was more than tired of the truck and wanted to get into something new. (I had previously waited on the new Tacomas to come out and when I decided to not buy their new model, I waited again on the Ridgeline to hit.)
  4. I think that the early adopter "stigma" is iffy at best. My wife's Pilot is under the magic 10k VIN and it has been perfect. My Taco was the same.
  5. The issues that I have with the truck are minor. Some are innate to its design and just things to live with. Every vehicle has those. I'm confident in Honda's ability to address the rest (wind noise) and in the mean time, I'm driving a new truck that handles well, is comfortable and fun to drive.
  6. I got a good deal even though they are new. What I wanted for my trade and $2300+ off of MSRP.
  7. I got the color and trim that I wanted.
  8. I am impatient and when I make a decision, it is time to act.

I don't blame people for waiting, but I also don't think that people that buy early are wrong. Circumstances and experiences vary and therefore, so do decisions.

#VINUnder1K

·
Registered
70 Posts
Simply put: because after 7 years I was tired of my old car and wanted a new Ridgeline from the moment I first saw one. I realize it sounds frivolous - I actually think that it is becase I didn't need a new car. I'm sure that my old one would have gone a lot farther with some maintenance, but it was time for a change.

I knew the 2017 Ridgeline was almost identical mechanically to the 2016 Pilot that had already been out for a year - same engine, 6-speed transmission, iVTM-4 unit, electronics, front interior - so I figured anything near a major catastrophe would have already shown up there.
That, too. One reviewer brought up the Ridgeline being a cousin of the Pilot and Odyssey as a bad thing, whereas I think of it as a positive.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did the research, did the demo rides, did the history... The RTL-T was a great fit on many levels, and they had my colors, in my trim. Can't wait for every decision to "mature" before buying... too much opportunity lost.

Besides, a bird had crapped on the hood of what would ultimately be my truck... Can't beat that for a positive sign of good luck... ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts