Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
RTL-E. We wanted adaptive cruise control and all the safety features. Didn't need sun roof or bed audio. Also wanted rear sliding glass, apple car play and the ability to customize so many settings on the truck that was not available on lower models.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
1. Wanted RTL-E due to Adaptive Cruise Control, sunroof, and all the other bells and whistles.

2. Didn't like grey or beige interior so left with black.

3. The exterior options for black interior were limited (and eliminated by top 2 exterior choices...).

4. With an RTL-E I would have had to put down a deposit and wait for the colors I wanted, and there's no guarantees the truck wouldn't come with unacceptable problems. If it did, I'd have wasted all that time waiting. On the other hand, there were a number of BEs around me so could test drive and look them over, buy the best one, and with the availability of them sitting on lots there was easier negotiation wiggle room. One BE I test drove had a sticky tailgate. The one I bought didn't (and still doesn't).

·
Registered
166 Posts
RTL-T. I loved the apple car play, USB charging ports, LED DRL's, lane departure feature, auto-dimming rearview mirror etc. I was originally going to get an RTL, but i like how much more modern the T felt behind the wheel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very pleased with the lunar silver RTS w/ AWD ... like those RTS wheels too ..

WE wanted cloth seats, plus Smart Entry, Remote Start, Climate Control, Fog Lights, & HomeLink for the garage doors, and, ... nothing else! We've had all the other options before and didn't require/want them:wink:

Added AWD, for the occasional snowy vacation, towing the boat, AND considering resale value, believe its $1800 well spent :smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought the RTL because it was silver and available on the lot. I live on a dirt road and it hides the dust.
After that, I only wanted AWD... didn't much care about the other stuff although I'm miffed there's no CD player.
36k was my limit; I mean really, it's not a house.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I chose the RTL as I don't want the extra electronics stuff nor the 8 inch screen. I pick up mine this afternoon and can't wait!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went with an RTS because I plan to cover the seats with seat protectors anyway since my kids and dogs make a mess, and I plan to upgrade the headunit within the next year. Also, I really like the wheels on the RTS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Went with the E in silver out/black in. Always buy fully loaded because I like all the gadgets.No BE becaause I'll never own a black car again do to upkeep. Beautiful when new and clean. Otherwise drives me nuts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went with the RTS because I hate spending large sums of money so I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible. I really wanted heated seats with the RTL but because I wasn't going to see an opening back window with that anyway and the dealer only had RTL-T and above, I opted for the RTS that was scheduled to be built in the following weeks.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
If it were just me, I'd get the fanciest one available with cloth seats.

However...

Wife wants the dual power/dual memory seats and sunroof, so E model it is...I'd pay an extra $1k if I could get those seats in cloth.

I imagine I'll pick up a FMG in a year or two when they become readily available in my neck of the woods. On a plus note, they may have the 10AT and wide-opening doors by then! :p

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I bought the RTL-E because the dealership wanted to mod the crap out of the BE they had, rather than sell to me. I just wanted the top Ridgeline that day and the E was "top" enough.

I must add...I only have about 300 miles on mine and I feel lucky that I haven't experienced any of the bad stuff I'm reading around here.

The only option I had to have was the window visors....weathertech is way out in the future on those, as they are with the laser-fit mats, which they estimate shipping before the snow flies...we'll see.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Would love to hear more from owners of the 5" screen, how well that works... folks make it sound like you would not be able to use any of your smartphone's features, but I doubt this is the case, I can do a lot through a pretty old Subaru system. Just from an aesthetic standpoint, thought the 5" screen looked better than the 8"... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
RTL-E (not a fan of black paint)
1) stereo is good, good enough that it doesn't need a sub or anything else for most people. Its better than the T's.
2) sunroof (nice but not a necessity)
3) rear slider (its super helpful when you have that one 12ft long board you need to get home)
4) memory seats, I'm short and sit close the wheel and they slide back when the door opens
5) LED headlights (although than can be done after market with PIAAs from Japan for $200)
6) Didnt want to mess with trying to put in an aftermarket stereo and I installed for 20 years.
7) Never wanted to look back and think that I should of got an E

·
Registered
86 Posts
The RTL I have has the 5" screen, which displays the radio station selected, the various views from the backup camera, the lists of selectable settings for functions, and if the Bluetooth audio is selected.

With the Bluetooth active and my iPhone 6 paired, I can use whatever NAV package is in my phone's app library, and can listen to my music stored in the phone. I have the Pandora app and can listen to music that way, but that is using data and I prefer my own library of songs.

The iPhone works wirelessly using Bluetooth pairing, but also can be hardwired via its power cord with the USB plug end. When jacked in that way the phone is recognized and "iPod" is briefly shown on the screen when starting.

Either way, phone calls are all done hands-free and the audio comes through the car speakers. Voice mail messages can be played through the car system.

Control for music and NAV is done on my iPhone screen, the unit mounted using a magnet grip on the vent to the left of the head unit. The phone covers the lower half of the vent and comes down to the top of the start button. It is very conveniently placed for viewing and controlling things. My phone's my touch screen, and a very good one at that.

If you are using Google Maps as I do, yes, you will use data, but at the rate I navigate, it is very little usage. Pandora, likewise. But with the T and up vehicles, Pandora usage will burn data.

Compared to the top-end 2011 Ridge I had, with only an AUX jack and no Bluetooth, this RTL is a high-tech wonder.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Thanks 18MPG, yes never quite understood what was so rocket science about Android Auto, my current HU does not have Android Auto, but runs everything off my Android I want just fine, including Pandora, displays everything nicely, let's me thumbs up and down, etc. My SO has the full Subaru system (she has iPhone), and it just offers a lot of fluff we never use.

How does the 5" handle texts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 5" screen system does not deliver text messages, which is OK with me. They come on the face of the phone mounted immediately to the left.

If one is that committed to carrying on text conversations while driving, whether spoken by the Apple robot or another, with one speaking replies, maybe one should go with Uber.

And there's always hands-free phoning, for us neanderthals. I bought a nice crossbow setup with the money I saved on the RTL. Now for some flint-tipped bolts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel like the odd man out but I'm perfectly happy with an RT because it meets my needs fine for how much cheaper it is. I definitely wanted the 4WD transmission so keeping the trim low countered that cost.

The most common complaints in reviews are the glare and interface of larger touch screen so I'm glad the lower trims don't include it. I'm satisfied with just the Bluetooth connection, as that's all I'm used to, and I'm considering a magnetic vent phone mount. If I can find a nice aftermarket unit with the advanced phone features then I'll take a look but it's not worth a higher trim level.

I'll either add the fog-lights myself or pay a friend if he wants the job. Likewise, the remote start is an available option I'll take but don't need to upgrade the trim for. I wouldn't have minded a sliding rear window but I'm sick of my current sunroof so the inability to separate them was a deal killer.

Now for the shallow reason, the RT is also an effective way to get the look that I want. I went with Lunar Silver because it's gorgeous and the light silver should keep it cooler. I like the Sport's gray painted wheels so I'll probably have mine painted to match. On top, I'm going with black rails and crossbars to match the black side mirrors and the door handles. I'm so stoked for the sporty black on silver contrast, I'm very likely blacking out some of the chrome to push it further. Why the Sport trim is only available in black is beyond me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I like the Sport's gray painted wheels so I'll probably have mine painted to match.

They're my favorite of all them. Now to find someone local with a Sport who wishes they had the wheels that came on the next level trims.....
Yeah, I know that's not happening.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts