Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
I'm not a fan of the Tacoma, but I really like yours. There is something special about an older, low mileage, pampered vehicle. I do like my 2019 Ridgeline RTL, but sometimes still miss the 1998 Ford Ranger that it replaced.
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, its been a "good" truck. Could it be better, yes. Is it exactly what I need almost 20 years later, maybe not. Do I think(?) the RL better suits my needs today, yes. Do I think the RL could be better, better than the one I say today, yes.

Here is another shot from the same trip a few weeks ago (cell phone, not the best, but the "front" view, and the "end of the road").

I agree you sure took care of your Taco! You mention the composit bed of the TL. Starting around 2017 the Taco bed is also composit like the TL. It's all one piece on the Taco. The RL is made up of components. For what it is worth!! BTW I've never had a truck handle the way the RL does. So much better then a 4wd frame truck!! I've never gotten stuck in mud or snow which I can't say the same about the 4wd frame trucks I've previously owned.

Reactions: Terrestrial Rover
That is one great looking 17 year old truck, @Terrestrial Rover. I like the Imperial Jade Mica paint. The 2019 Ridgeline's are in short supply and only the Sport trim is available for the most part. It seems like most of the 2020 Ridgelines are still "in transit." Not sure why it is taking Honda so long to get them distributed across the country.

You will love the ride of the Ridgeline - it is smooth and refined. You won't have any worries about the composite bed of the Ridgeline as the black color permeates the entire material, no top coating.
One thing that has not been mentioned is the AWD on the Ridgeline. It does not slip or push into turns like the 4WD trucks tend to do.

Let us know how your search turns out, even if you don't select a Ridgeline.

I am not a Honda fanboy, and like yourself have loved and driven Toyota pickups. My 2000 tundra, at 20 years old and 260,000 miles was due for a replacement..... more due to comfort and worry more than actually mechanical breakdown.
My wife wanted heated seats, sunroof, and safety features, and with a trip this spring of her and her 70 year old mom doing a 4 day road trip to Arizona, it was time to replace the tundra.
We had actually been looking at Tacoma’s for a few years.... but the drivers seat is not great, and sunroof, leather, and CarPlay was unavailable, or damn hard to find until the newest model year.
finally got to test a new one..... and just kind of lackluster. Too loud, rough, and with a cramped back seat didn’t work for us.
Obviously, Toyota is going to excel off road, is going to have a massively larger availability of aftermarket support, and comes with Toyota’s “boring and incredibly reliable” design feature that I have always loved. This time though it just didn’t work for what we were looking for. Tundra is too big (and shitty mpg), Tacoma feels too cheap, and the Ridgeline, despite the ground clearance, off-road prowess, and limited aftermarket stuff makes an incredibly comfortable truck. Honestly, it drives like a luxury car.

What are your needs out of a vehicle? Do you need a truck? Are most of your trips short, or do you have a long commute or take you truck on long trips? If just short trips, any truck will probably work. For longer trips, it's hard to beat the Ridgeline.

Your Taco is a beautiful truck and, IMO, nicer than today's Tacos. If i were you, i might consider, say, a Civic Si for a fun little commuter car and save that nice Taco for the rare occasion when you needed a truck. Nice well-kept vehicles tend to increase in value once they exceed twenty years of age.

As mentioned earlier, a few new trucks are expected in the mid-size market in the next couple years. Nissan will have a new Frontier next year, FCA should have a mid-size (Dakota), Ford is likely fast-tracking a new Ranger (and maybe a smaller unibody truck), Hyundai should have theirs out next year, rumors of a Mercedes-badged Amarok, etc.

Best advice i can give is test-drive them all, preferably back-to-back, on a variety of roads, rough and smooth. The Ridgeline will likely do all that you need, but you'll feel better having done your homework (test drives).

Just drive the Ridgeline. Sure, is it the best looking truck? Hard to argue that. The Dodge has a nice interior, Tacoma is a bit “tougher” looking. How it drives and the features that come standard in 2020 clearly make it nicer than the Tacoma. You’d probably be best with a 2020 RTL. Leather, sunroof, all the sensing features, Apple and android play.

First, that is one well preserved Taco! Bravo!

Second, I would get a look at the RTL-E level trim before making a decision (as others have suggested)

Third, I am a Toyota fan boy. I have owned nothing in my household, other than Toyotas and Lexuses, since 1991. My last car before that string was a Honda Civic.

I originally wanted a Tacoma and drove many, but I just could not get a comfortable seating position for me. As I have to drive 4 hours to check in on an ailing father, I was not up for that!

I get what you are saying on the interior. My 2017 RTL-E has a better interior than you are describing, BUT it also has a seat heater switch that would never find its way into a Toyota. It does not have a solid feel.

Still, a vehicle with a pickup bed is what I wanted, and the Ridgeline gets me that in a package with decent electronics and a good ride. That is why I shelved my Tacoma dream.

As always you have to evaluate what is most important to you. I would survey the Taco, the Ridgeline and the Ford alternatives. I don’t trust the Fiat/Chrysler or the GM mechanicals.

Happy Hunting!

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that is what I need to do, see a RL in the model / build I am looking at. I agree, the seating portion in the Taco. All those years ago now, when I bought mine, in my mind anyway there was no other choice than a Taco for a small / midsized truck, so I just sort of "lived with" the seating. Now I guess I'm used to it, because it is what I have, not because it is great. When I ride in others vehicles (none of my friends / family have a tuck, so they are cars / SUV's) I realize that what I have (Taco) is bad, really bad. Around town for 30 min is one thing, but on a long trip it is bad.

Thanks again!

What are your needs out of a vehicle? Do you need a truck? Are most of your trips short, or do you have a long commute or take you truck on long trips? If just short trips, any truck will probably work. For longer trips, it's hard to beat the Ridgeline.

Your Taco is a beautiful truck and, IMO, nicer than today's Tacos. If i were you, i might consider, say, a Civic Si for a fun little commuter car and save that nice Taco for the rare occasion when you needed a truck. Nice well-kept vehicles tend to increase in value once they exceed twenty years of age.

As mentioned earlier, a few new trucks are expected in the mid-size market in the next couple years. Nissan will have a new Frontier next year, FCA should have a mid-size (Dakota), Ford is likely fast-tracking a new Ranger (and maybe a smaller unibody truck), Hyundai should have theirs out next year, rumors of a Mercedes-badged Amarok, etc.

Best advice i can give is test-drive them all, preferably back-to-back, on a variety of roads, rough and smooth. The Ridgeline will likely do all that you need, but you'll feel better having done your homework (test drives).
Longboat - thank you for the reply. My needs, well once I started to read reviews on the RL I began to think about that very question. With my current Taco (PreRunner, but not 4x4) I don't think I've ever pushed it to its limits off-road, I certainly hope not. What I need for sure is the ability to take two mountain bikes on a couple of 2k - 4k mile trips a year, and weekend trips closer to home. I need / want the ability to dive dirt "roads" but not really dirt trails (one wish I had with the RL is just a little bit more ground clearance) I need / want the ability to go to the home improvement store, pickup 1/2 doz bags of soil, and some potted plants. I need to haul a small amount of gear (in cases) for the work I do several times a week (and would / will, like my Taco, need to have a Tonneau Cover on it to secure this gear).

I would like a little more comfort in my ride vs. my Taco (which the RL will have), I want a little more luxury in the interior (the RL will have this, especially with the package I'm looking at over my 17 y/o Taco). The rated MPG of the RL is surprisingly not much better than my old V6 Taco gets now, but that is not a deal breaker, my daily driving is relatively close, and the few longer trips a year I take would be "vacation" so thinking about fuel cost is not a "thing".

I gotta say I've never been a fan of anything Nissan, so that wouldn't be on the plate. Honestly, I'm hesitant to look at Ford or Chevy, because (in my mind anyway, and I don't have / haven't done much research on their vehicles produced in the past 10 years) I just don't think they'll be mechanically as reliable, and have the same durability of paint and finish in 10 - 12, 15 years. And, it's a good bet I'll be keeping whatever I purchase that long. I could be wrong (Ford / Chevy, etc.), but that is my gut feeling based on friends that have bough from these makers in the past 10 years.

I am (again last night I was looking at some YouTube reviews of the 2020) temped to wait and see what 2021 brings for the RL (and even the Toyota). There are things (as evident by my post / thread here) that I just don't think are that good with the 2020 RL. Plastic (durability in the sun, tenancy to develop rattles), the "infotainment system", and even perhaps the new transmission? If I were the type of buyer that buys something new every 3-5 years, I would care less, but I'm certainly going to (need to) keep this purchase 10+ at least. I could put some money into my Taco and keep it another year, that would put it about 95k and 18 years old. Could easily sell as a "great work truck" or "weekend toy hauler" for someone, and a buyer could get another 75k mi out of it easily. But... I'm in the market now / this spring.

Welp, I need to see / a RTL-E. I guess it's pointless, to a point, to make any decisions based on what I've seen in person so far.

Thank you for your thoughts, I DO appreciate them.

That is one great looking 17 year old truck, @Terrestrial Rover. I like the Imperial Jade Mica paint. The 2019 Ridgeline's are in short supply and only the Sport trim is available for the most part. It seems like most of the 2020 Ridgelines are still "in transit." Not sure why it is taking Honda so long to get them distributed across the country.

You will love the ride of the Ridgeline - it is smooth and refined. You won't have any worries about the composite bed of the Ridgeline as the black color permeates the entire material, no top coating.
One thing that has not been mentioned is the AWD on the Ridgeline. It does not slip or push into turns like the 4WD trucks tend to do.

Let us know how your search turns out, even if you don't select a Ridgeline.
Thank you Sparkland... Yes, I've "only" been looking at (via web / reviews) for a coupe of weeks, and have only gone to look at a RL once so far. I will need to keep my eye out over the coming weeks for a 2020 and take a better look. Thank you for your comments. :)

Not really trying to talk you out of a truck, but it sounds like you could also get by with an SUV. Although i just recently purchased a Ridgeline, i went for 18 years without a truck... hauled many bags of soil and fertilizer in the trunk of my Accord, as well as a LOT of board lumber up to 10' long (seat folded down and boards going from the trunk up to and resting on the dash).

The only reason i mention SUV to you is because that is a cutthroat market right now and you might get better value for your dollar. The Pilot is nice, the Passport has a little more ground clearance (but also maybe more issues), Mazda CX-9, the Palisade/Telluride twins i hear are stellar, and may start to come down to reasonable prices in a few months.

If you go Ridgeline, you can get a 1.5" lift kit (many threads in this forum) to get more clearance, although you may lose 1MPG on the highway. I have a '19 RTL which is one step above the Sport and has leather interior. If you go 2020, you will pay more, but also get more features, such as the safety sensing package and factory locking tailgate.

If you're not doing technical off-roading, i think the Ridgeline is the best mid-size truck out there. People like to bring up towing all the time, but if you're towing more than 4800lbs often, you should really be looking at a full-size or HD truck. I think the Ridgeline would pull 4500lbs as well as any other mid-size truck, in spite of their higher ratings.

Again, drive the different trucks back-to-back and you'll probably have your mind made up quickly.

I think you need to go look at the competition, and drive all of them. I don't rock crawl, so the RL works for me. The driving experience is far better than all of the competitors on pavement, and on maintained unpaved roads.

Also, if you decide to sell your Tacoma, I would suggest listing it on BringATrailer.com You could probably get $22k or more for it on there. That generation is highly sought after, and one in that condition is hard to find.

TR, as you know, the 2020 RL is a refreshened model. It seems very unlikely to me that Honda will change anything for MY 2021, unless some defect surfaces. I suppose they could finally update the infotainment system, but they seem to be having plenty of problems with the newest ones on the Odyssey and maybe on the Passport and Pilot too. But upgrading the IS requires implementing the new dash panel, and Honda is not known for showing the RL that much love in between model changes.

The Ridgeline G2 interior is pretty much Pilot and Passport up front with some changes.
The Ridgeline is a much more practical vehicle compared to the others the rear seating of others is cramped.
The rear seats in others don't fold up and provide a flat floor like the 60/40 split on the Ridgeline.
The others don't have the lockable in-bed trunk so for daily driving or highway driving the Ridgeline would be the one you wan't. The others boast towing and off-road more but the Ridgeline counters in other ways like almost no wheel humps in truck bed.
One thing original poster said is cost of Ridgeline should be cheaper easier to make pickup truck than SUv
Remember this is a uni body pickup truck with more car like ride handling compared to body on frame trucks.
All Ridgeline models have rear independent suspension compared to other trucks.
We hear now some of the other trucks and truck based SUV want to offer this as option
The key features of Ridgeline are lockable in-bed trunk no other pickup truck on in market has this yet.
The dual action tailgate that swings open for easy access to bed or in-bed trunk
The AWD Ridgeline has Intelligent Variable Torque Management AWD System
So if you are comparing a Ridgeline to other Honda vehicles cost wise it would be the Pilot and Passport.would be in the same range. there share many things not really a bad thing.
You could not compare a Highlander with a Tacoma in it's refine manners.
I went to the Washington DC Ato show last Sunday on last day of show.
I use to go every year but have missed some shows did not go last year but the
year before. I looked at most of all the trucks sat inside plenty checked out features and room space.
I did not get in the Tacoma but the Ranger the GM twins looked at jeep all just for fun with everything under one roof.
Many nice things but my heart was on the Black Edition Ridgeline it has been for the past 3 years.
At the show they had the Black Edition top of the line Ridgeline along with Black Pilot and Passport.
The 2020 rear door fix does make a difference for getting thing in-out I like the push button gear selector with steering wheel paddle shift is okay now they have the new tailgate locking feature on all models.
I would strongly advise original poster to go out and try test drive a 2020 RTL-E model and then decide.

Reactions: Terrestrial Rover
Go for a test drive. I'll think you'll change your mind about the RL. Just sitting in one doesn't do it justice IMO. Drive it and then say all these things you feel about it. Go drive a Canyon on the same bumpy LA roads around the dealership. If you were like me you'd go WHOA what the F ! lol

Steve

Discussion starter · #34 ·
The Ridgeline G2 interior is pretty much Pilot and Passport up front with some changes.
The Ridgeline is a much more practical vehicle compared to the others the rear seating of others is cramped.
The rear seats in others don't fold up and provide a flat floor like the 60/40 split on the Ridgeline.
The others don't have the lockable in-bed trunk so for daily driving or highway driving the Ridgeline would be the one you wan't. The others boast towing and off-road more but the Ridgeline counters in other ways like almost no wheel humps in truck bed.
One thing original poster said is cost of Ridgeline should be cheaper easier to make pickup truck than SUv
Remember this is a uni body pickup truck with more car like ride handling compared to body on frame trucks.
All Ridgeline models have rear independent suspension compared to other trucks.
We hear now some of the other trucks and truck based SUV want to offer this as option
The key features of Ridgeline are lockable in-bed trunk no other pickup truck on in market has this yet.
The dual action tailgate that swings open for easy access to bed or in-bed trunk
The AWD Ridgeline has Intelligent Variable Torque Management AWD System
So if you are comparing a Ridgeline to other Honda vehicles cost wise it would be the Pilot and Passport.would be in the same range. there share many things not really a bad thing.
You could not compare a Highlander with a Tacoma in it's refine manners.
I went to the Washington DC Ato show last Sunday on last day of show.
I use to go every year but have missed some shows did not go last year but the
year before. I looked at most of all the trucks sat inside plenty checked out features and room space.
I did not get in the Tacoma but the Ranger the GM twins looked at jeep all just for fun with everything under one roof.
Many nice things but my heart was on the Black Edition Ridgeline it has been for the past 3 years.
At the show they had the Black Edition top of the line Ridgeline along with Black Pilot and Passport.
The 2020 rear door fix does make a difference for getting thing in-out I like the push button gear selector with steering wheel paddle shift is okay now they have the new tailgate locking feature on all models.
I would strongly advise original poster to go out and try test drive a 2020 RTL-E model and then decide.

Thank you FTM1 - Yes I need to find a 2020 in the model I'm thinking of. So far, amazingly not too easy to do, even here in the "car capital of the world - Los Angeles".

Not surprised your having a hard time finding Ridgelines of any version to shop in So Cal. I was trying to help a friend of mine find one there and there was nothing. From San Berdo to whereever they only had front wheel drive base models. I'm guessing they just don't sell there because well.... Its LA man. Get a Beemer or go home.

Thank you FTM1 - Yes I need to find a 2020 in the model I'm thinking of. So far, amazingly not too easy to do, even here in the "car capital of the world - Los Angeles".
I'm down in the South Bay and you are correct the available inventory in So Cal is lame at best. My local dealer has no Ridgelines and they could almost spit on Honda Corp HQ. If you're interested, I'm in Torrance and you are welcome to come down to look at in detail and drive my 2019 RTL-E. As you know, the big difference between the 2019 and 2020 being the transmission, most everything else is pretty much the same.

Here's my $.02 having owned a G1, nearly bought a G2 and bought a Pilot. This is likely the mildly slanted view you are looking for....

I owned a 2014 G1 which I bought for the Honda reliability and the in-bed trunk. Yeah, yeah... the built in ice chest was what pushed it over the edge for me. I'm a feature geek. I loved that truck because it wasn't trying to be something it wasn't. The truck was seeing the better end of a 100 mile round trip commute, gas was expensive in 2014 / 15 so I traded on an Accord coupe. Night and day difference in gas mileage, capability and there was no built in ice chest.

I looked at buying a G2 - 2017, then 2018 then 2019 but never pulled the trigger as my wife was due for a new vehicle next. We test drove everything, twice, and kept coming back to the Pilot. My requirement was AWD as we often go camping but don't go off-roading or go anywhere beyond the limits of the vehicle. The Pilot EX-L AWD is what we purchased as it had a good blend of feature we wanted and features we would use like heated seats, Honda Sensing, power everything, moon roof and most importantly, it did not have the 9-speed transmission only available in the higher trim models. We had a Jeep with an 8-speed and auto start / stop that she absolutely detested and swore never to have in a vehicle again.

In any event, the Pilot provided everything the Ridgeline could provide and more as it has third row seating. Well, everything except the built-in ice chest, but I digress....

I can't justify buying a Ridgeline NOW as I would have two nearly identical vehicles. When the time comes in a few years, I will look at the Ridgeline again and evaluate my needs, wants and determine if it meets them.

The in-bed trunk will likely be the selling point again....lol

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Here's my $.02 having owned a G1, nearly bought a G2 and bought a Pilot. This is likely the mildly slanted view you are looking for....

I owned a 2014 G1 which I bought for the Honda reliability and the in-bed trunk. Yeah, yeah... the built in ice chest was what pushed it over the edge for me. I'm a feature geek. I loved that truck because it wasn't trying to be something it wasn't. The truck was seeing the better end of a 100 mile round trip commute, gas was expensive in 2014 / 15 so I traded on an Accord coupe. Night and day difference in gas mileage, capability and there was no built in ice chest.

I looked at buying a G2 - 2017, then 2018 then 2019 but never pulled the trigger as my wife was due for a new vehicle next. We test drove everything, twice, and kept coming back to the Pilot. My requirement was AWD as we often go camping but don't go off-roading or go anywhere beyond the limits of the vehicle. The Pilot EX-L AWD is what we purchased as it had a good blend of feature we wanted and features we would use like heated seats, Honda Sensing, power everything, moon roof and most importantly, it did not have the 9-speed transmission only available in the higher trim models. We had a Jeep with an 8-speed and auto start / stop that she absolutely detested and swore never to have in a vehicle again.

In any event, the Pilot provided everything the Ridgeline could provide and more as it has third row seating. Well, everything except the built-in ice chest, but I digress....

I can't justify buying a Ridgeline NOW as I would have two nearly identical vehicles. When the time comes in a few years, I will look at the Ridgeline again and evaluate my needs, wants and determine if it meets them.

The in-bed trunk will likely be the selling point again....lol
Thank you Sandevino! (y)

I just look at the cost of the Ridgeline and compare it to Pilot or Passport Crossover/SUV with same like features. Would I want a midsize 3 row or 2 row crossover compared to a very much like midsize pickup truck with bed.
For me the answer is yes the answer becomes no with any other midsize truck
With only a few trim differences that offer a few more features to top trim RTL-E/Black Edition Ridgeline the cost of the vehicles are kinda identical down the line, Some 2017 Ridgeline suspension components are beefed up for truck duty The original 2017 Honda Newsroom Press Kit-Body section & 2017 Honda Press Kit Overview provide great information.
-

A 2 minute search on Cargurus.com turns up 60 new Ridgelines in the West Los Angeles area. You could probably get a really great deal on a 2019 and the only big new feature you would be missing is a locking tailgate.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.