Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 and I liked it. That is until the mice ate my wiring and the dealer wanted 4k to install a whole new harness. I said pretty much f off and I'll never buy another vehicle from you again. Never even tried to fix it. Traded it in and picked up a 2017 Ridgeline Black Edition. I absolutely LOVE To this truck. I tow a 8 x 10 enclosed trailer with two road racing motorcycles. This truck is the best all around vehicle I've ever owned. It's loaded with really cool stuff. It drives fantastic! So quite and smooth. I don't use it for 4 wheeling or any off road stuff, but it could definitely do some off roaring stuff if you wanted, but it's not hard core. I bought this truck to haul my touring bike out West with my wife and ride in comfort. It does everything. I love this beast. Get a model that has the "goodies". The Sport is too stripped down for my tastes. I had a Accord Touring car with every option available. The Black Edition has almost every thing my Accord Touring had. I like driving the Ridgeline better than the touring car because you sit higher up. Buy one you'll love it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
14v6 - Ahh yes (long term), well both my wife and I keep cars 10 years as a minimum. (my Taco MUCH longer than I thought I would). I mentioned in reply elsewhere in this thread that less than a year ago my wife got a new 2019 Mazda CX-5. The thing drives like a dream, has an interior that rivals my friends Mercedes and is really fun to drive. I'm sort of crazy when it comes to keeping my cars looking good (well, like I said, I keep'em 10 or more years), so I'm the guy out there using the two, sometimes three bucket wash method 10 minutes after it stops raining.... And I've always done oil / fluid, belts, sensors, radiator flush / fill, tire rotation, etc. myself. So I get to know you might say my cars. Well, my wife CX-5, the ENTIRE undercarriage is covered / hidden under plastic panels. The wheel-wells are made of like a fabric covered plastic (keep the road noise down?). So... I'm thinking this car IS not going to be around in 10+ years, certainly NOT looking (and sounding, rattles) like it does now. But... I guess that is the way everything is. Nothing is designed to last. Like everything, it is designed NOT to be "fixed" but more to be tossed out when it breaks. Sad, but undeniable.

For me, the model level of the RL... Well, I see it like, I'm going to keep this thing 10+ years, so I should get it the way I want, spend the money. AND do any aftermarket stuff the first weeks I own the thing - get it the way I want. So, the RTL-E seems right for me. Likely with one of the wheel / rim upgrades, etc.

Yes, the tranny. Well, I've heard that one both ways now, that the 6spd is better, the new 9 is better. Who knows yet anyway?

So... my original post... Well, buying a car isn't something I go into lightly. They cost a lot of money, and hey we're talking about a Honda, not a BMW or Porsche but still. And as I say I plan to / need to keep a new one 10, maybe 15 years. So, I look at things like the plastic, where it is used, what type (density?) it appears to be. How I foresee it behaving in a year, and in 10.

Anyhow... I really like what I've read about the RL, as far as the "type" of truck it is, that is does have a more comfortable ride, etc. I like the way it looks, I like the bed, and it would do exactly what I need a truck to do. I don't really "need" a tuck that maybe a 4x4 Taco is, I just don't do that sort of (off-road) driving. I do drive a dirt road form time to time, but not in the sense that I would need what some might call a "more capable" off road truck than the RL.

So... I just need to get some more time looking at them first hand.

Thank you for your honest opinion. Yours is the type that I came here looking for.
Do extended (weekends?) test drive of a '20 Tacoma and '20 Ridgeline and go with the vehicle you like best and best suits your needs. The look and feel of these two vehicles couldn't be more different so it should be an easy choice in the end. Sounds like you're looking for more of crossover feel?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not acting like a “dick” do you know what would happen if I came to my supervisors and asked them a question about loading procedures that could be found in our publications. I would get destroyed, understandably, as people need to help themselves as much as they can. Then get more help if needed after you’ve exhausted others. I only came off condescending as much of the information in OPs original posting was blatantly false which showed me that extensive research had not been done. When I have a Biology exam coming up I don’t text everyone in class asking them what we need to study for the exam I go and study myself first and then if I need more help I go find people.

You have to help yourself before others can help you.

If you look back through the 4 pages of this forum, the most liked comment has 6 likes, that is my posting...

truth hurts sometimes, facts don’t care about your feelings. That is unfortunate if it offended you.
Amen. I smell a troll. Best case an unqualified bore. I don't mean this in any sense other than in his own words his main vehicle is a 17 year old tacoma in "pristine" condition, "drool" aside, with less than 100k miles on it! Good for him. Clap clap. Soujds like a lot of trips to mcdonalds and back. Just glad he didn't get his "drool" on somebody's new ridge. Good lord. This thread is just. Oh nevermind. Not even worth another second. Life is too short to be "entertain" another bore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This thread brings back memories of my own search for a replacement for my Ranger. I loved that truck and for 20 years it fit my needs. Either that or I had lived with it so long that my needs fit the truck. Except for wanting 4wd/awd and an automatic transmission, I really just wanted to replace the Ranger with the same thing only newer.

Unfortunately nobody makes a compact pickup anymore. And some of the materials on modern trucks are much worse than my old Ranger (e.g. plastic caps on the bed rails and tailgate vs Line-X coated metal). On the Ranger I factory ordered and got exactly what I wanted. Maybe you can still do that with Ford or Chevy, but not with Honda, so with the Ridgeline I had to accept several features I didn't want in order to get those that I did want. And the Ridgeline cost more than twice as much as my Ranger did. It really was pretty disappointing at first.

Eventually I got over most of those disappointments and bought a Ridgeline because I thought it fit my needs better than any of the other current offerings. But still it would have been nice to be able to buy something that was everything my Ranger was, only better.

Fortunately, since buying a Ridgeline I've come to appreciate features that I didn't really give much thought to when shopping (flat floor in the rear seating area, tiny wheel wells, the trunk, the two way tailgate). Assuming the Rigeline holds up I expect I'll eventually like it as much as I did my Ranger, but that might take several more years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wife and I have owned 9 Toyotas over last 30+ years. She drove a Toyota p/u when I met her. Even though we have owned others as well, Toyota was always our recommendation. Last Nov I traded my 2012 Tundra Crewmax (bought new) for a 2019 RTL-E. I’ve hauled 18 80lb bags of Quikcrete and other material. Currently there is still a bunch of gutters and roofing material on the racks I didn’t unload today. As I have added a bed cap it’s usual configuration includes carpet and 2 doggie pillows. Not quite 2k miles yet. Anything I don’t like? Not that I’ve found yet. Still amazed at the comments I get about the looks, even yesterday when i dropped off Recycles. Love the mileage compared to the Tundra. Haven’t hauled my trailer yet, but when I do it will be under the weight limit. No urge to off road (would get an old Jeep if I were), but not concerned about getting stuck like my 2009 2WD Tacoma was wont to do. As for research, not only was I a bit surprised at reviews/rating compared to others, but once I decided on the RTL-E I didn’t go look at lesser trim models (likely source of your disappointment). We already owned a 2016 Pilot (upgrade from 2001 Sequoia) so G2 RL was early on list as replacement. I also knew that either a Tacoma/Tundra with same accessories was significantly more money locally. Not the right truck for everyone, but I’m definitely pleased with my choice. Pick what is right for you for the right reasons.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The side-opening tailgate is a lot handier than I imagined, too. I am also fond of the safely "nannies" that bother some folk. I am apparently in the minority on this, but I also think it is damn classy looking compared to some real trucks.
The side opening option for the tailgate is a wonderful feature that I had never thought about until I used it. It makes loading the bed far easier, and unless I'm carrying something that requires a lowered tailgate, it's really the only way I open the tailgate now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited by Moderator)
Wow, the stench from all of the pissing contests in this thread!

@Terrestrial Rover That is one beautiful 17-year-old truck you have. Whatever you decide about your new truck, it would be hard to give up after years it has given you and you have given it. It's hard to kick a loved one to the curb, so to speak. Have you considered keeping it in addition to your new truck?

As others have said, only you can make the decision, but the care you have given your Taco leads me to think a Ridgeline could be the right vehicle for you if you like the RL's looks and unique qualities. From what I can tell looking at older ones, they seem to hold up well in the looks dept. and Honda has an excellent reputation for being durable and reliable.

Personally, I was a Chevy (real) truck gal all of my life, originally from, I guess, the insane part of Orange County. After a ton of research and test driving everything out there, I really wanted to love the Colorado, but much to my shock, the Honda Ridgeline RTL-E came out on top for my purposes.

I'm not sure which plastic parts bother you, but I appreciate that the interior is mostly soft materials on my RTL-E. I didn't know there was that much difference in the interior between the E and the Sport. I look forward to your opinion when you finally get into a higher model. So far, I don't have any rattles, but I am still a new owner with less than 1k miles.

Not trying to sell you, but here's what I think. The interior is roomy for passengers and easy to convert the seats up for hauling dogs and things that need to stay dry. I like the comfortable ride and the AWD now that I am used to it after decades of 4WD. The road I live on would be considered off-road by a lot of folks and my truck has managed just fine in the snow, mud, gravel, ruts, and potholes--except for that one perilous slide down the hill on ice! I have to say I love the RL bed as much as anything else about my truck. It is a big deal for me to be able to lay down a pile of 4x8 plywood flat without having to build supports in the bed. The sides of the bed are short, but I've found it more than adequate for hauling what I've put in it. The trunk is a safe place for luggage and photo gear when I travel. The side-opening tailgate is a lot handier than I imagined, too. I am also fond of the safely "nannies" that bother some folk. I am apparently in the minority on this, but I also think it is damn classy looking compared to some real trucks.

The narrow rear door openings, and the lack of locking tailgate were negatives for me until I found out they are both pretty easy fixes. Both are taken care of in the 2020. The driver's seat could be a little wider, but I could also stand to be a bit narrower. :) I do wish the rear seats could optionally fold flat like bed. I have not found anything else that I didn't quickly get over.

I hope you find the truck that you can love as much as your old Taco and that it lasts you at least as long.
MaryAnne, I agree with you've said. As I commented to someone else here, I do tend to take care of (baby?) my vehicles, both mine and my wife. And like I said, it's because we tend to keep them a long time, I want my cars to look good, and last! You mention the mostly soft materials on the RTL-E. I think you know the only RL I've been in has been a sport? I guess the "arm rest" on the door was "soft", but the dash, especially the center area (AC, radio, etc) was sort of this hard "silvier-ish" plastic. Anyway, I also don't know if there is much difference between the Sport and RTL-E (2020) but I want find out - see for myself.

And... as I've commented, pretty much ALL of the reviews I've read / watched have the RL as the right kind of truck for "me". So I want to like it (even more). I just need to see one in the model build I'm looking for before really deciding. And I appreciate all of the honest comments from actual owners here. That is what I came looking for. Thank you.

Amen. I smell a troll. Best case an unqualified bore. I don't mean this in any sense other than in his own words his main vehicle is a 17 year old tacoma in "pristine" condition, "drool" aside, with less than 100k miles on it! Good for him. Clap clap. Soujds like a lot of trips to mcdonalds and back. Just glad he didn't get his "drool" on somebody's new ridge. Good lord. This thread is just. Oh nevermind. Not even worth another second. Life is too short to be "entertain" another bore.
Well well well... another "my RL IS the BEST tuck EVER!". Dude, I let everyone know what I HAVE, that I take care of my stuff, that I keep it a long time, that I like a LOT about the RL, but that there are a few things I didn't like. There are a few things I didn't and don't like about my Taco. I came here hoping to learn from actual owners IF the concerns I had about certain things (plastic parts) over the long run were valid.

YOU are the troll my friend. (oh, and from what I've read going to McDonald's might be more up the RL's ally? You know, smoother ride, more car like? So... you know.... Not a real truck?) ;)

I'm sorry YOU can't take criticism about something you obviously own. I mean why would you, a RL IS PERFECT after all, right? Please go way if you can't contribute to an honest discussion about something.

I had a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 and I liked it. That is until the mice ate my wiring and the dealer wanted 4k to install a whole new harness. I said pretty much f off and I'll never buy another vehicle from you again. Never even tried to fix it. Traded it in and picked up a 2017 Ridgeline Black Edition. I absolutely LOVE To this truck. I tow a 8 x 10 enclosed trailer with two road racing motorcycles. This truck is the best all around vehicle I've ever owned. It's loaded with really cool stuff. It drives fantastic! So quite and smooth. I don't use it for 4 wheeling or any off road stuff, but it could definitely do some off roaring stuff if you wanted, but it's not hard core. I bought this truck to haul my touring bike out West with my wife and ride in comfort. It does everything. I love this beast. Get a model that has the "goodies". The Sport is too stripped down for my tastes. I had a Accord Touring car with every option available. The Black Edition has almost every thing my Accord Touring had. I like driving the Ridgeline better than the touring car because you sit higher up. Buy one you'll love it!
Racerman - I like what you've said here, and it is in line with the reviews I've read, AND it is pretty much the way I'd be using a new truck, be it a RL or ? I won't be pulling a trailer, but would be carrying a couple of mountain bikes (that's our 'thing') here and there, and a few longer road trips every year. I very much like the idea of a little more comfortable ride over my current Taco, and the improved (over the Taco) seats / seating position is something I'm defiantly looking for.

Yes based on what I've read and "on-line building" of an RTL-E, that is the model level I'd want. As I've said, I've only been in one RL and it was a sport. My concerns, which has some here on this board calling me this and that (because they are not grown up enough to realize that even their perfect RL might not be perfect?), is primarily the use of even more plastic (more than my Taco, which became rattly literally as I drove it off the lot - I've chased a dash rattle since the day I brought it home, I have a strip of high density foam stuffed between the dash and windshield for 17 years to "tighten up" the dash to stop the rattle) and how it has held up for actual RL owners.

So... need to go find an RTL-E someplace on a deal lot in W. LA and have a better look at the model level I'm interested in. In the mean timeI appreciate hearing from (and finding reviews on-line) owner of G2 RL's and if they've had issues with "fit and finish".

Thank you Racerman for your honest comments.

This thread brings back memories of my own search for a replacement for my Ranger. I loved that truck and for 20 years it fit my needs. Either that or I had lived with it so long that my needs fit the truck. Except for wanting 4wd/awd and an automatic transmission, I really just wanted to replace the Ranger with the same thing only newer.

Unfortunately nobody makes a compact pickup anymore. And some of the materials on modern trucks are much worse than my old Ranger (e.g. plastic caps on the bed rails and tailgate vs Line-X coated metal). On the Ranger I factory ordered and got exactly what I wanted. Maybe you can still do that with Ford or Chevy, but not with Honda, so with the Ridgeline I had to accept several features I didn't want in order to get those that I did want. And the Ridgeline cost more than twice as much as my Ranger did. It really was pretty disappointing at first.

Eventually I got over most of those disappointments and bought a Ridgeline because I thought it fit my needs better than any of the other current offerings. But still it would have been nice to be able to buy something that was everything my Ranger was, only better.

Fortunately, since buying a Ridgeline I've come to appreciate features that I didn't really give much thought to when shopping (flat floor in the rear seating area, tiny wheel wells, the trunk, the two way tailgate). Assuming the Rigeline holds up I expect I'll eventually like it as much as I did my Ranger, but that might take several more years.
Jareister - THANK YOU for your honest thoughts. It seems we have similar thoughts on this subject. (I too had a "spray in" liner added / aftermarket, the week after I brought my Toy home, it has held up amazingly for the 17+ years - I'm concerned the RL plastic one won't.) My Taco wasn't perfect (from day one) either, but I have been mostly quite happy with it. An RL didn't even exist when bought my Toyota! I too agree that what the RL offers in the way of ride, size (yes, there really isn't a "small truck" anymore, why is that? Looking at the new Tacos for example, why do they keep getting bigger? Toyota makes a Tundra, so why is the Taco getting almost as big? That is another discussion.)... is the type of truck I need / want these days.

I came here saying I was a bit disappointed (surprised would have been a better choice of words) by a few things on the RL after seeing my first one in person. I came here basically asking actual owners if my concerns (plastic becoming aged, becoming rattly) have come to be a problem, OR if over the years they have held up. For the most part everyone has offered honest thoughts on my concerns. But of course there are a few that can't stand the idea that someone might not like everything about the vehicle they own. Oh well, they'll grow up one day, I was once a 12 y/o too.

Thanks for your honest impressions. As I say, the RL seems to be 95% the perfect truck I'm looking for.

Wife and I have owned 9 Toyotas over last 30+ years. She drove a Toyota p/u when I met her. Even though we have owned others as well, Toyota was always our recommendation. Last Nov I traded my 2012 Tundra Crewmax (bought new) for a 2019 RTL-E. I’ve hauled 18 80lb bags of Quikcrete and other material. Currently there is still a bunch of gutters and roofing material on the racks I didn’t unload today. As I have added a bed cap it’s usual configuration includes carpet and 2 doggie pillows. Not quite 2k miles yet. Anything I don’t like? Not that I’ve found yet. Still amazed at the comments I get about the looks, even yesterday when i dropped off Recycles. Love the mileage compared to the Tundra. Haven’t hauled my trailer yet, but when I do it will be under the weight limit. No urge to off road (would get an old Jeep if I were), but not concerned about getting stuck like my 2009 2WD Tacoma was wont to do. As for research, not only was I a bit surprised at reviews/rating compared to others, but once I decided on the RTL-E I didn’t go look at lesser trim models (likely source of your disappointment). We already owned a 2016 Pilot (upgrade from 2001 Sequoia) so G2 RL was early on list as replacement. I also knew that either a Tacoma/Tundra with same accessories was significantly more money locally. Not the right truck for everyone, but I’m definitely pleased with my choice. Pick what is right for you for the right reasons.
Thank you Sodamo for the comments. Yes I really do need to see first hand an RTL-E. I too think the RL looks great. I do wish it came "out of the box" about 2" higher (I know there are lift kits, but I likely wouldn't go doing those kinds of changes to a unibody vehicle) but really I like all of the ride and durability (well it's a Honda!) comments and reviews. It is mostly my concern about the exterior plastics that have me... "concerned"? But... hey... every car is more and more plastic these days. Anyway, thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-T Scarlet Pearl AWD
20 Posts
Do extended (weekends?) test drive of a '20 Tacoma and '20 Ridgeline and go with the vehicle you like best and best suits your needs. The look and feel of these two vehicles couldn't be more different so it should be an easy choice in the end. Sounds like you're looking for more of crossover feel?
I'm a new member and let me say I appreciate what I've read and learned here. Let me also say, right off the bat, I am NOT a Tacoma "Fan Boy", in fact I'm not a fan boy of any model or maker. I like what I like, I like what is "good", and what does or should perform the way it should - especially when "it" can cost $50K and more.

So, I'm an owner of a 2003 Toyota Tacoma SR5 PreRunner (4 door). I am the original owner, the truck has been "babied" its entire life, has ONLY been serviced by the dealer for things that I did not wan't to tackle, or things that were warrantied, etc. Fluids, belts, sensors, hoses, etc. all replaced by me. My truck in all those years doesn't have a single door ding and has only 85K miles on it. Still it is is 17 years old. So... I'm in the market as they say.

I like the look of the "2nd gen" (the first gen... ummmm... no, sorry), have found that most reviews of the 2019 - 2020 (which is what I'd be looking at) are very favorable, and in most cases put the Honda in number one or two position above the Ford, Chevy and Toyota. For me, the "limitations" of the Honda over say a "real truck" (what we know many non-Ridgeline people call their trucks) are not problems for me. Yes I want to be able to dive fire roads, etc, haul bikes and camping gear, but NOT tow or do any real "4 wheeling". So the Honda seems like exactly what I'd want.

I live in W. Los Angeles and have a large Honda dealer (with a Toyota dealer next door - owned by the same). I have seen so few, none really, Ridgelines on the road. I've been surfing the web, looking at photos and reviews for a week or so now. So today I decided to visit the dealership. First off, they only had ONE Ridgeline. It was a black "Sport" '19. I told them I was not buying today, but that I was in the market (told that what I had, and that I WOULD be looking at Tacomas too), and that April / May I would be buying. They let me walk around the exterior and sit in the drivers seat.

So... Let me just ask, I know(?) that the major change between the '19 and '20 is the transmission, right? Also, is a "Sport" much different than say a RTL-E (what I would be looking to buy)? I ask because I was very disappointed in both the interior (WAY more "plastic" and plastic feeling than even my 17 y/o Tacoma, WAY more plastic than my wife's '19 Mazda CX-5, which was much cheeper, and WAY more 'cheep' feeling than a '19 CRV), and the use of just an overwhelming amount of plastic that is sure to be a rattly mess down the road in areas such as around the rear window, the nearly entirely plastic rear bumper, and the way the plastic "bed Liner" (well, it is't really a liner, it IS the bed) sits on the bed "rails", and top of the tailgate, and interfaces between the bed and cab. Why is it that a CRV or Pilot actually costs less than a Ridgeline (building a truck is actually easier than building a 5 door, 4+ hatch) and has more features (why did the CRV sitting next to the Ridgeline have the SAME mirrors, but didn't have and there is no option for, intergraded lighted singles in the mirrors?

So, has the 2020 been improved in these areas? Is an RTL-E "better" in regards to the very (for a Honda) cheep feeling plastic interior (the door panels have rough mold seam lines on them) of the '19 I just looked at?

I went into the dealer today thinking I'd be drooling over what I saw, and would be confirming what I had thought I knew by reading reviews and such. But now, I'm back to square one. I guess I'd better go see the Ford, Chevy, and Toyota? Or... are all modern trucks (that can easily cost over 50K) this way? Not as excited as I thought I'd be.
Heres my take, You are not comparing apples to apples. Yeah yeah Toyota Makes a great products you bet. The Ridgeline is a totally different concept. In the truck world it took a long time for Toyota to be accepted in the so called Truck Market. I was sold on the Honda concept in late 2005. I bought the 1st Black Pearl/Tan leather one they got in at my local dealer. 2006 RTL-Navi . Motortends truck of the year. I dropped my 2001 Tundra like a hot potato. And Never Looked Backed. The Tool box under the bed had me at Hello. Roof Rack ,Hello. Navigation in 2006, Hello. Locking rear differential, Hello . Independent suspension ,Hello. Double Tailgate operation, Hello. Virtually no wheel wheels in the bed, Hello. 60/40 rear seat, Hello The list goes on and on. Yes all my buddies and newbies laughed and called it my wife"s truck, where's yours. Either you get it or you don't. Ive been a Toyota fan since 1986 owning 5 Supra"s and owning. Numerous Toyota pickups. I ran my 1st Gen1 to 173k. And I gave it a full work out it did it all ,boats, dirt bikes, camper, Thule 1/2clam shell and kayak rack. Yes the radiator had a miss hap. I am on my 4th Ridgeline at the moment.. Now, the Ridgeline is the most American made truck In America. Actually its 4th on the list of all cars. I did look at the 2018 Silverado, opened the Drivers Door." Made in Mexico". Not for me. I just I love # 4 RTL-T. Maroon/tan. My brothers have F 150's Platinums and they don't even fit in the garage and I watch them trying to get get stuff in and out of the bed with Step stools and Broom sticks. Thats my 3 pennies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Heres my take, You are not comparing apples to apples. Yeah yeah Toyota Makes a great products you bet. The Ridgeline is a totally different concept. In the truck world it took a long time for Toyota to be accepted in the so called Truck Market. I was sold on the Honda concept in late 2005. I bought the 1st Black Pearl/Tan leather one they got in at my local dealer. 2006 RTL-Navi . Motortends truck of the year. I dropped my 2001 Tundra like a hot potato. And Never Looked Backed. The Tool box under the bed had me at Hello. Roof Rack ,Hello. Navigation in 2006, Hello. Locking rear differential, Hello . Independent suspension ,Hello. Double Tailgate operation, Hello. Virtually no wheel wheels in the bed, Hello. 60/40 rear seat, Hello The list goes on and on. Yes all my buddies and newbies laughed and called it my wife"s truck, where's yours. Either you get it or you don't. Ive been a Toyota fan since 1986 owning 5 Supra"s and owning. Numerous Toyota pickups. I ran my 1st Gen1 to 173k. And I gave it a full work out it did it all ,boats, dirt bikes, camper, Thule 1/2clam shell and kayak rack. Yes the radiator had a miss hap. I am on my 4th Ridgeline at the moment.. Now, the Ridgeline is the most American made truck In America. Actually its 4th on the list of all cars. I did look at the 2018 Silverado, opened the Drivers Door." Made in Mexico". Not for me. I just I love # 4 RTL-T. Maroon/tan. My brothers have F 150's Platinums and they don't even fit in the garage and I watch them trying to get get stuff in and out of the bed with Step stools and Broom sticks. Thats my 3 pennies.
G1G2 - thank you for your comments, AND I totally agree with the ones you list here. I love the features of the RL, I like the "look", I love the idea of a better "ride", I like the lockable "trunk" under the bed, the tailgate... not sure that is a huge thing for me, but I haven't had the opportunity to really used it! So I'm sold really on everything the RL has to offer. My only real concern, after seeing one (I've only seen the one, the Sport, at a dealer) was that I was "surprised" (the word I should have used over Disaponted) at the amount of (the rear window, the bed but of course it is a "bed liner" type bed) and the "feel" of the plastic on the exterior. Also to a degree the plastic, and it's "fit and finish", of the dash / door interiors. This was a "Sport" level trim.

So... I like what I've read, and the reviews about really everything about the RL. I came here, this forum, to ask if my concerns are real (over the long haul, has anyone had problems with rattles, and or premature discoloration of the plastics. And the RL has more on the exterior than my Taco) or if actual owners have NOT had issues over time.

Thank you for your thoughts and honesty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a new member and let me say I appreciate what I've read and learned here. Let me also say, right off the bat, I am NOT a Tacoma "Fan Boy", in fact I'm not a fan boy of any model or maker. I like what I like, I like what is "good", and what does or should perform the way it should - especially when "it" can cost $50K and more.

So, I'm an owner of a 2003 Toyota Tacoma SR5 PreRunner (4 door). I am the original owner, the truck has been "babied" its entire life, has ONLY been serviced by the dealer for things that I did not wan't to tackle, or things that were warrantied, etc. Fluids, belts, sensors, hoses, etc. all replaced by me. My truck in all those years doesn't have a single door ding and has only 85K miles on it. Still it is is 17 years old. So... I'm in the market as they say.

I like the look of the "2nd gen" (the first gen... ummmm... no, sorry), have found that most reviews of the 2019 - 2020 (which is what I'd be looking at) are very favorable, and in most cases put the Honda in number one or two position above the Ford, Chevy and Toyota. For me, the "limitations" of the Honda over say a "real truck" (what we know many non-Ridgeline people call their trucks) are not problems for me. Yes I want to be able to dive fire roads, etc, haul bikes and camping gear, but NOT tow or do any real "4 wheeling". So the Honda seems like exactly what I'd want.

I live in W. Los Angeles and have a large Honda dealer (with a Toyota dealer next door - owned by the same). I have seen so few, none really, Ridgelines on the road. I've been surfing the web, looking at photos and reviews for a week or so now. So today I decided to visit the dealership. First off, they only had ONE Ridgeline. It was a black "Sport" '19. I told them I was not buying today, but that I was in the market (told that what I had, and that I WOULD be looking at Tacomas too), and that April / May I would be buying. They let me walk around the exterior and sit in the drivers seat.

So... Let me just ask, I know(?) that the major change between the '19 and '20 is the transmission, right? Also, is a "Sport" much different than say a RTL-E (what I would be looking to buy)? I ask because I was very disappointed in both the interior (WAY more "plastic" and plastic feeling than even my 17 y/o Tacoma, WAY more plastic than my wife's '19 Mazda CX-5, which was much cheeper, and WAY more 'cheep' feeling than a '19 CRV), and the use of just an overwhelming amount of plastic that is sure to be a rattly mess down the road in areas such as around the rear window, the nearly entirely plastic rear bumper, and the way the plastic "bed Liner" (well, it is't really a liner, it IS the bed) sits on the bed "rails", and top of the tailgate, and interfaces between the bed and cab. Why is it that a CRV or Pilot actually costs less than a Ridgeline (building a truck is actually easier than building a 5 door, 4+ hatch) and has more features (why did the CRV sitting next to the Ridgeline have the SAME mirrors, but didn't have and there is no option for, intergraded lighted singles in the mirrors?

So, has the 2020 been improved in these areas? Is an RTL-E "better" in regards to the very (for a Honda) cheep feeling plastic interior (the door panels have rough mold seam lines on them) of the '19 I just looked at?

I went into the dealer today thinking I'd be drooling over what I saw, and would be confirming what I had thought I knew by reading reviews and such. But now, I'm back to square one. I guess I'd better go see the Ford, Chevy, and Toyota? Or... are all modern trucks (that can easily cost over 50K) this way? Not as excited as I thought I'd be.
Big difference in the Sport and the E, especially the 2019. The 2019 Sport doesn't have Car Play or Android Auto. It is the bare bones version and comes in AWD or FWD. The E is pretty much fully loaded with the upgraded infotainment and options. In 2019 it was a the 6 speed auto tranny. My local dealership sold me their one and only RTL E. They have only one other Ridgeline in stock and it was a 2019 Sport, white, that Honda sent them. The Sport is a bit hard to sell, especially with the 2019 in white. It would be a good light work truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MaryAnne, I agree with you've said. As I commented to someone else here, I do tend to take care of (baby?) my vehicles, both mine and my wife. And like I said, it's because we tend to keep them a long time, I want my cars to look good, and last! You mention the mostly soft materials on the RTL-E. I think you know the only RL I've been in has been a sport? I guess the "arm rest" on the door was "soft", but the dash, especially the center area (AC, radio, etc) was sort of this hard "silvier-ish" plastic. Anyway, I also don't know if there is much difference between the Sport and RTL-E (2020) but I want find out - see for myself.

And... as I've commented, pretty much ALL of the reviews I've read / watched have the RL as the right kind of truck for "me". So I want to like it (even more). I just need to see one in the model build I'm looking for before really deciding. And I appreciate all of the honest comments from actual owners here. That is what I came looking for. Thank you.

Well well well... another "my RL IS the BEST tuck EVER!". Dude, I let everyone know what I HAVE, that I take care of my stuff, that I keep it a long time, that I like a LOT about the RL, but that there are a few things I didn't like. There are a few things I didn't and don't like about my Taco. I came here hoping to learn from actual owners IF the concerns I had about certain things (plastic parts) over the long run were valid.

YOU are the troll my friend. (oh, and from what I've read going to McDonald's might be more up the RL's ally? You know, smoother ride, more car like? So... you know.... Not a real truck?) ;)

I'm sorry YOU can't take criticism about something you obviously own. I mean why would you, a RL IS PERFECT after all, right? Please go way if you can't contribute to an honest discussion about something.

Racerman - I like what you've said here, and it is in line with the reviews I've read, AND it is pretty much the way I'd be using a new truck, be it a RL or ? I won't be pulling a trailer, but would be carrying a couple of mountain bikes (that's our 'thing') here and there, and a few longer road trips every year. I very much like the idea of a little more comfortable ride over my current Taco, and the improved (over the Taco) seats / seating position is something I'm defiantly looking for.

Yes based on what I've read and "on-line building" of an RTL-E, that is the model level I'd want. As I've said, I've only been in one RL and it was a sport. My concerns, which has some here on this board calling me this and that (because they are not grown up enough to realize that even their perfect RL might not be perfect?), is primarily the use of even more plastic (more than my Taco, which became rattly literally as I drove it off the lot - I've chased a dash rattle since the day I brought it home, I have a strip of high density foam stuffed between the dash and windshield for 17 years to "tighten up" the dash to stop the rattle) and how it has held up for actual RL owners.

So... need to go find an RTL-E someplace on a deal lot in W. LA and have a better look at the model level I'm interested in. In the mean timeI appreciate hearing from (and finding reviews on-line) owner of G2 RL's and if they've had issues with "fit and finish".

Thank you Racerman for your honest comments.

Jareister - THANK YOU for your honest thoughts. It seems we have similar thoughts on this subject. (I too had a "spray in" liner added / aftermarket, the week after I brought my Toy home, it has held up amazingly for the 17+ years - I'm concerned the RL plastic one won't.) My Taco wasn't perfect (from day one) either, but I have been mostly quite happy with it. An RL didn't even exist when bought my Toyota! I too agree that what the RL offers in the way of ride, size (yes, there really isn't a "small truck" anymore, why is that? Looking at the new Tacos for example, why do they keep getting bigger? Toyota makes a Tundra, so why is the Taco getting almost as big? That is another discussion.)... is the type of truck I need / want these days.

I came here saying I was a bit disappointed (surprised would have been a better choice of words) by a few things on the RL after seeing my first one in person. I came here basically asking actual owners if my concerns (plastic becoming aged, becoming rattly) have come to be a problem, OR if over the years they have held up. For the most part everyone has offered honest thoughts on my concerns. But of course there are a few that can't stand the idea that someone might not like everything about the vehicle they own. Oh well, they'll grow up one day, I was once a 12 y/o too.

Thanks for your honest impressions. As I say, the RL seems to be 95% the perfect truck I'm looking for.

Thank you Sodamo for the comments. Yes I really do need to see first hand an RTL-E. I too think the RL looks great. I do wish it came "out of the box" about 2" higher (I know there are lift kits, but I likely wouldn't go doing those kinds of changes to a unibody vehicle) but really I like all of the ride and durability (well it's a Honda!) comments and reviews. It is mostly my concern about the exterior plastics that have me... "concerned"? But... hey... every car is more and more plastic these days. Anyway, thank you for your comment.
Nah man my point is that this truck, that truck, this phone, that phone is anything but perfect. They are man made objects designed for the masses at a particular price point. As a result it's very hard to relate and understand your very vague concerns that come across as overly personal emotions rather than practical concerns. Especially because you said you didn't even drive it or even sit in it, but instead just moped around it and played footsie with the salesman or something. I own a ridgeline. Not only that I've even sat in too. And believe it or not I even drove it several times. After several mods I do like it, but the only ones "drooling" on it are my dogs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Keep in mind long term costs as well. No one has had a second gen to the 10 year mark yet. With the 2020 a timing belt job and two atf changes will cost well into the 2k range. Take a look at the fuel filler, it's cheap. Every time I fill up I'm thinking will this thing even last it just a piece of plastic with a lot of play, fragile. Is the rest of the truck this way? Then there are the intermittent issues that are different than characteristics. (suggest you read up on VCM it inevitably works its way into what you feel although minimal) I have an intermittent engine knock, a camera that intermittently turns black and a hard pedal on startup, all on occasion. I'm in the camp that the RL is not a daily driver (hoped it would be) but it's something for getting around in the bad weather and bed use. If I replace my Accord with an SUV all I need is a bed, not even the rear seating, So for me there's no point in stepping up to an E to get the headlights. Probably not even a Ridgeline. An RTL with the headlights for 35k should have been the answer but Honda played games with the pricing on the refresh to basically move everyone up to an E given the small (although artificial price delta). Unfortunately, Honda didn't follow the trim offerings of the Passport in the refresh. If you are going to daily drive and go on long trips then I think the RL is the most dialed in choice. As far as the 9 speed, the only good thing I read about it is that it seems to have faded into the background but there are nightmare stories about its past, difficult to shake labels. Redline reviews says that in Pilot form vs. Highlander the 8 speed Toyota is better than the 9 speed in the Pilot Elite/Touring and the Toyota 8 speed gets more hate than love. Also, every time I read about long term ownership, it's dominated by Toyota and Lexus DNA nothing HMA makes the list. Something to think about.
This forum page is for asking questions, very true! However, you need to do as much research as you can easily gather on your own first. Yes the CRV is cheaper than the RL it’s a smaller vehicle with a 4 cyl. Indeed it should be. You also stated the pilot was cheaper. That is blatantly false. I won’t spend more time digressing, and I’m not trying to put anyone down I’m just defending my original reply when I politely asked that you go do some more research then come back and ask away, everyone here is happy to answer questions you may have that aren’t easily answered elsewhere. 😁

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
This forum page is for asking questions, very true! However, you need to do as much research as you can easily gather on your own first. Yes the CRV is cheaper than the RL it’s a smaller vehicle with a 4 cyl. Indeed it should be. You also stated the pilot was cheaper. That is blatantly false. I won’t spend more time digressing, and I’m not trying to put anyone down I’m just defending my original reply when I politely asked that you go do some more research then come back and ask away, everyone here is happy to answer questions you may have that aren’t easily answered elsewhere. 😁

Cool, I'll go do "more research" and then I won't need to ask any questions here! Then this board REALLY will be "RL Fanboys"! Good idea. #genius

·
Registered
626 Posts
Quoting Bill Murray in "Stripes".....lighten up, Francis! This group isn't a "last resort" place to find info; in fact it's kind of a "first resort". People can ask anything they want, and the rest of us can answer, tell them to search "X" on ROC, or just pass it by without comment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Nah man my point is that this truck, that truck, this phone, that phone is anything but perfect. They are man made objects designed for the masses at a particular price point. As a result it's very hard to relate and understand your very vague concerns that come across as overly personal emotions rather than practical concerns. Especially because you said you didn't even drive it or even sit in it, but instead just moped around it and played footsie with the salesman or something. I own a ridgeline. Not only that I've even sat in too. And believe it or not I even drove it several times. After several mods I do like it, but the only ones "drooling" on it are my dogs.
Nah, I thought I was pretty clear, but let me make it more clear. The plastic that surrounds the ENTIRE rear window feels cheep (crap?) has a sort of "tap" / rattle sound when I tapped on it like you would when you knock on a door. It bothers me that a BRAND NEW on the lot truck, that by nearly every review is "one of if not the best, beating out Toyota, Chevy, Ford" would be like this.. My concern here was, if it acts this way now, how will it be in say 5, 10 years? The interior... Well, its more plastic feeling than I was expecting. Sure it can be plastic but done well. I was "surprised". The bed. Well, have you looked at the very cheep way Honda did the access panel (the RTL-E and above) where there is an AC outlet? Take a look at the plastic fasteners (at least on the Sport I looked at), the "heads" of the fasteners were distorted much like a screwdriver was taken to soft plastic. That bothered me. The "feel" of the bed liner didn't instill trust in me that it would look good "down the road".

Yep, nothing is perfect. SO, I came here with real concerns. If people here don't think the things I pointed out are something to consider, then I guess they are not as particular as I am. Yep, to be honest, they all (all cars) are pretty much NOT meant to last. That is by design. My Taco has plenty of life left in it, but I'm mostly tired of the rattles its developed, one in particular as I dove it off the lot. SO I'm sure a Taco, RL, (and certainly Chevy / Ford) won't be much better, but I'm trying to find out what will be the "lesser bad".

So... my "vague concerns"? Again, they are... how does the cheep feeling plastic on the RL, both interior and exterior, hold up? I KNOW a new Taco, (and surely a Ford / Chevy) will also have plenty of plastic.

Ummmmm, yes I sat in one, please go back and re-read.

Playing footie with the sales man? They didn't have what I really wanted to see, an RTL-E. So, I saw what a saw, sat in it, and was not impressed. I came here trying to find out it it was worth my time to go looking at an RTL-E or if would be just as "bad"?

I'm sorry if my "over personal emotions" come off as not practical. But, I think asking if the, in my opinion, cheep plastic that I specially pointed out, was a concern to actual owners was pretty practical. But.... of course coming here, to the "Ridgeline" forum I'm going to get plenty of "oh, its the best" kind of responses. I get it, you (and others) bought one. So you are less likely to admit a problem.

I thought I was pretty clear on what I was interested in finding out.

But nope. Look like Ridgelineownersclub is mostly about patting yourselves on the back? Right?

Quoting Bill Murray in "Stripes".....lighten up, Francis! This group isn't a "last resort" place to find info; in fact it's kind of a "first resort". People can ask anything they want, and the rest of us can answer, tell them to search "X" on ROC, or just pass it by without comment.
Agreed. I thought this WAS the place to get real answers from real owners? I thought coming here WAS part of the research I was supposed to be doing?

Thank you to everyone that did try to address my concerns. Based on those that really did care to take a moment and give me their impressions I am interested in seeing an RTL-E, what I was hoping to see at my first visit to a dealer. I will just have to track one down and see it for myself. For those that have told me... I should do more research before coming here... well, that is just genius! For those that have replied with... well you asked vague questions... I did? Is the crappy feeling plastic on the RL really crappy in the long run? Seemed like asking real owners over a dealer was the way to go... but, that maybe hurt some current owners feelings? I'm sorry. If anyone wants to know what is / was crappy about an '03 Taco PreRunner I'll tell you.

So thank you to those that did try to honestly describe their likes and dislikes with the RL. I think I've replied and thanked you. To the rest... Why are you even here on this forum? That is what a forum is for, for people to ask questions from others.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This forum does have a sort of fan boy aura to it but there is still a good bit of useful information. Of course, there will be posters that will tell what do to like they are the hall monitor of the forum or something, way out of line IMO. I find that the Pilot forum covers many of the same topics from a more consumer oriented perspective than a Honda history perspective. Of course now that the 2020 RL comes with the 9 speed you can get some info on the Passport forum but my take on the Passport forum is there is very little DIY going on.

I'm also amazed at how well the black plastic held up on your TACO for so long. It's got to be more than just the 303.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Agreed. I thought this WAS the place to get real answers from real owners? I thought coming here WAS part of the research I was supposed to be doing?
I usually enjoy reading comments on here, but not when there's a self-appointed school marm scolding people.

Buying/owning/modding (etc.) a truck is not purely logical exercise/pursuit. We're human beings making major purchases; obviously there's emotion involved. Otherwise, why would they even come in more than one color, for example? Picking a color is pretty much "only" emotion.

I had a G1 Ridgeline for almost 9 years (now my daughter & son-in-law own it) and over that long period I admit I became something of a "fanboy", having had a great experience with the truck. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with not liking Ridgelines in general or particular aspects - we should all say what we want.

I've been enjoying your narrative, by the way. Hope everything works out well for you, one way or another. And your 17 year old Tacoma is beautiful.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-T Scarlet Pearl AWD
20 Posts
On a lighter note **I found this Ridgeline Forum * When I googled "Dash Rattle 2019 Ridgeline" After a year of me searching for a rattle myself in the dash. I never found it. It would only do it at 20mph on rough black top. I am an ASE Master Tech. Go figure>> The answer was right here in this forum. I read through every thread that pertained to interior rattles. Another member had already found it and shared with all of us with pictures and his findings. I would like to thank the Ridgeline Owners Club and its Members for that. Hard for me to believe I"ve been behind the wheel of 4 Ridgeline's for 14 years now. I came into this site to find ANSWERS and I found them HERE. Thank You!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I sat in a Tacoma two years ago and didn't think I'd like it, then I drove it and new I didn't want one. It's true that the Ridgeline isn't good for real 4-wheeling, but it will do fine at what most people consider 4-wheeling, although less ground clearance and lack of skid-plates on the 2nd generation make it a little less able for some things than the 1st gen. But the Ridgeline did fine on Edmond's washboard road test while the Tacoma blew all its struts. I've never tried doing some of the really steep climbs & crawls that I did on my old Chevy trucks with low gear ranges, but the Ridgelines have been fine on fire roads and other somewhat more difficult trails and such. It's a trade-off, but I'd rather have a quiet comfortable ride with good handling for the vast majority of the time that I'm on paved roads or good trails, even if there are a few places I can't take the Ridgeline. And I think some of the features mentioned above as being lacking in lower levels are part of the "E" model.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts