Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nah, I thought I was pretty clear, but let me make it more clear. The plastic that surrounds the ENTIRE rear window feels cheep (crap?) has a sort of "tap" / rattle sound when I tapped on it like you would when you knock on a door. It bothers me that a BRAND NEW on the lot truck, that by nearly every review is "one of if not the best, beating out Toyota, Chevy, Ford" would be like this.. My concern here was, if it acts this way now, how will it be in say 5, 10 years? The interior... Well, its more plastic feeling than I was expecting. Sure it can be plastic but done well. I was "surprised". The bed. Well, have you looked at the very cheep way Honda did the access panel (the RTL-E and above) where there is an AC outlet? Take a look at the plastic fasteners (at least on the Sport I looked at), the "heads" of the fasteners were distorted much like a screwdriver was taken to soft plastic. That bothered me. The "feel" of the bed liner didn't instill trust in me that it would look good "down the road".

Yep, nothing is perfect. SO, I came here with real concerns. If people here don't think the things I pointed out are something to consider, then I guess they are not as particular as I am. Yep, to be honest, they all (all cars) are pretty much NOT meant to last. That is by design. My Taco has plenty of life left in it, but I'm mostly tired of the rattles its developed, one in particular as I dove it off the lot. SO I'm sure a Taco, RL, (and certainly Chevy / Ford) won't be much better, but I'm trying to find out what will be the "lesser bad".

So... my "vague concerns"? Again, they are... how does the cheep feeling plastic on the RL, both interior and exterior, hold up? I KNOW a new Taco, (and surely a Ford / Chevy) will also have plenty of plastic.

Ummmmm, yes I sat in one, please go back and re-read.

Playing footie with the sales man? They didn't have what I really wanted to see, an RTL-E. So, I saw what a saw, sat in it, and was not impressed. I came here trying to find out it it was worth my time to go looking at an RTL-E or if would be just as "bad"?

I'm sorry if my "over personal emotions" come off as not practical. But, I think asking if the, in my opinion, cheep plastic that I specially pointed out, was a concern to actual owners was pretty practical. But.... of course coming here, to the "Ridgeline" forum I'm going to get plenty of "oh, its the best" kind of responses. I get it, you (and others) bought one. So you are less likely to admit a problem.

I thought I was pretty clear on what I was interested in finding out.

But nope. Look like Ridgelineownersclub is mostly about patting yourselves on the back? Right?

Agreed. I thought this WAS the place to get real answers from real owners? I thought coming here WAS part of the research I was supposed to be doing?

Thank you to everyone that did try to address my concerns. Based on those that really did care to take a moment and give me their impressions I am interested in seeing an RTL-E, what I was hoping to see at my first visit to a dealer. I will just have to track one down and see it for myself. For those that have told me... I should do more research before coming here... well, that is just genius! For those that have replied with... well you asked vague questions... I did? Is the crappy feeling plastic on the RL really crappy in the long run? Seemed like asking real owners over a dealer was the way to go... but, that maybe hurt some current owners feelings? I'm sorry. If anyone wants to know what is / was crappy about an '03 Taco PreRunner I'll tell you.

So thank you to those that did try to honestly describe their likes and dislikes with the RL. I think I've replied and thanked you. To the rest... Why are you even here on this forum? That is what a forum is for, for people to ask questions from others.
To quote Mr. McGuire, "I just want to say one word to you. Plastics."...

Really no hard feelings. I thought you were another troll, but I think you are just a guy who has been in an exceptionally long relationship with a nice truck. And for that reason your response to another new potential relationship is a bit more emotional than average. You two have probably spent at least half your life together. That's impressive. It is true, in that time for better or for worse plastics have taken a larger share of the marketplace. Just as Mr. McGuire forecasted.

Ps I'm a residential contractor. I beat the crap outta all my trucks. I look at my trucks in practical terms. As in how will each make my life easier. And they are all loaded with plastic these days, and it all seems to holding up just fine. Very durable stuff. And doesn't rust. I will say though you absolutely have to actually drive a ridgeline on pavement to really appreciate it. I like all my trucks for very different reasons. I liked my 87 tacoma for the trails. I liked my 93 Camry for delivering blue prints. I like my ridgeline for tools and comfort. Once you actually drive one these things the things you're worried about will completely fade into oblivion. Then other concerns will take their place. Anyway the ridgeline doesn't feel like any truck I've ever had. In other words it doesn't feel like any other truck. Which is good. And bad. Like every other man made creation. Nothing to worry about. And nothing to drool over. It's just a truck.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
@Rover, There's a Honda video out there where they dump a load of rock in the bed. If you haven't seen it, you might want to google "ridgeline rock drop".

·
Registered
61 Posts
@Rover, There's a Honda video out there where they dump a load of rock in the bed. If you haven't seen it, you might want to google "ridgeline rock drop".
I was thinking of that also. There are at least two of them, one with rounded rocks, and since that wasn't convincing enough, one with jagged rocks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I owned a 2008 Ridgeline. Sold it as it started to have issues at 110,000 miles. I now own a Toyota Taco 2017. The Toyota is a piece of crap. My older Ridgeline was more modern than this junk. It has "no storage". The Radio acted up since the day I bought and locks up. The radio navigation just is pure garbage. I had issues with the truck down shifting as you slow down. I mean literally the truck would drop two gears (auto-trans) at 40 mph and lock the wheels up, racing the engine to redline as it slowed down to 8mph. It has caliper brakes. Really? Who still puts caliper brakes on a truck anymore. You have to be able to stop a truck when you are going 55 and some moron driving his car instantly races to get in front of you on the highway only to have to immediately step on his brakes and expect you to stop your vehicle going the same speed that weighs 2.5 times his.

Honestly, I don't know what happened to Toyota. I have purchased and owned Toyota vehicles several times before. However, the whole company is going down the drain. When I purchased the Toyota I owned before, it was made in Japan. The truck I have now I believe is made in Mexico.

Anyway, I got 5 yr zero interest on this POS Toyota Taco so it is basically free money. I'm stuck with it for at least another 2 years to get that free money value out of it. So go ahead and buy the Honda and in 2 years, I'll trade you. It will probably be near equal resell value because the Toyota will hold its value better than the Honda. That is the ONLY good thing about the Toyota. I will eventually be able to easily get out from underneath.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great videos. And I can attest my rl and the front loader have seen lots of action over the years with scant evidence. The composite beds have been around for a long time now and are totally proven as these great videos illustrate. I've worked them extremely hard on various trucks. In my experience nothing to worry about there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am currently undecided, but a Taco is off the table for me due to my height (6'5"). I'm currently between the Ranger and Ridgeline and leaning towards the Ridgeline. My dad has a 2017 RTL-E and it's a great truck to drive. He got the skid plates put on from the factory, which I'd highly recommend if you plan to do any off-roading (we do light off-roading on some decently deeply rutted trails while hunting). The RTL-E trim package has a ton of bang of the buck, but also keep in mind that there are a lot of changes just at the Sport level from 2019 to 2020. 8" touchscreen with Android Auto and Car Play, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, collision avoidance and lane departure on top of the locking tailgate a 9 speed transmission that others mentioned. I think the 9 speed is an interesting decision as on paper it didn't seem to buy anything to change. The Ranger is also an interesting option to me with a lot of the newer features offered by the RL in a more truck-like package with actual off-road capability, but I feel like I'd be trading off comfort and storage to get a little ground clearance that I probably will never need. The other thing is that the reviews I've seen of the Ranger with it's turbo i4 and 10 speed transmission people are saying that they're seeing actual mpg around 18 while my dad regularly sees 23ish average in his RL

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
He got the skid plates put on from the factory, which I'd highly recommend if you plan to do any off-roading (we do light off-roading on some decently deeply rutted trails while hunting).
This is the first I have heard that skid plates are a factory-installed option. I'm thinking your father's skid plates are aftermarket items.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is the first I have heard that skid plates are a factory-installed option. I'm thinking your father's skid plates are aftermarket items.
They were at least dealer installed. You're right, probably not factory.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
G1G2 - thank you for your comments, AND I totally agree with the ones you list here. I love the features of the RL, I like the "look", I love the idea of a better "ride", I like the lockable "trunk" under the bed, the tailgate... not sure that is a huge thing for me, but I haven't had the opportunity to really used it! So I'm sold really on everything the RL has to offer. My only real concern, after seeing one (I've only seen the one, the Sport, at a dealer) was that I was "surprised" (the word I should have used over Disaponted) at the amount of (the rear window, the bed but of course it is a "bed liner" type bed) and the "feel" of the plastic on the exterior. Also to a degree the plastic, and it's "fit and finish", of the dash / door interiors. This was a "Sport" level trim.
I see you're fairly new to this like me. Sport is basic trim. RTL-E and Black Edition are a completely different game. If I were you I would demo the RTL and RTL-E to get a good comparison. I tend to lean towards higher trims because they offer better overall values.

All I know is this: the RTL-E is by far the most comfortable, quietest, and smoothest mid-size truck I have ever driven, especially on the highway, and I have driven them all including the (junky) new Tacos, Frontier, Ranger, and CO/Canyon (no interest in the Gladiator). Except for forest and wildlife refuge dirt roads, I am not an off-roader, and I don't plan on towing anything larger than a teardrop camper (RTL-E has a transmission cooler as standard equipment). For me, RL is perfect. Investigate all trims before you decide. Be informed!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Sport is too stripped down for my tastes. I had a Accord Touring car with every option available. The Black Edition has almost every thing my Accord Touring had. I like driving the Ridgeline better than the touring car because you sit higher up. Buy one you'll love it!
OP I feel the same way as Racerman. The RTL-E has everything my road-warrior 2012 Acura TL AWD Tech has, and a hella lot more, including 3 more gears (with a useful first gear) and a bed with a trunk and 120 Power.

IOW, it's a truck version of the car--except I have to remind myself that I cannot brake or corner as "robustly" with the truck as I could with the Acura ;)

101 - 111 of 111 Posts