Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive looked far and wide (50 mile radius from Baltimore) and only been able to find one Red RTL-E, and no Blue ones other than a base model.

What gives?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ive looked far and wide (50 mile radius from Baltimore) and only been able to find one Red RTL-E, and no Blue ones other than a base model.

What gives?
I hear you with black and gray but I am having a heck of a time finding a white RL. I really want to see one in person because I think that's what I want but I just need to make sure. I actually saw one on a car carrier and followed the car carrier for a bit just trying to look at it some. Strangely it didn't seem to be going to the local Honda dealership. I watched their inventory every day to see if it would show up but it never did.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I asked my local dealer the same thing and they're just going with what sells. I wanted the Forest Mist Metallic and ended up having to order it without having seen it in anything other than brochures and on the web. It was a risk, but I'm totally happy with it now that I have it.

FWIW, the Obsidian Blue Pearl is available throughout Honda's lineup, so you can walk the lot just about any time and find a vehicle in OBP. It's a beautiful color, just a little "loud" for my taste.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I did a 300-mile search on cargurus, and the vast majority of the E-trims are in the metropolises. It's like Honda thinks us more rural folk don't want the E trim.

Mostly RTL and RTL-T is what I am seeing. I can get what I want if I drive 300 miles. Kinda hard to do with a puppy....

·
Registered
166 Posts
My dealer orders black, white, and gray to keep in stock. I asked for the green. They only had one come in and it sold immediately. No red or blue at all. Same with their other makes, Volvo, Mazda. Go figure. :wink: Tom

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was actually just thinking that sitting at the light by our Honda dealer this morning... all new vehicle are silver, white, gray, and black. There was a few blue and tan vehicles. But everything was silver, white, gray, and black. 10 ridgelines I counted.... 6 black. 2 white. 1 silver. 1 gray

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Seems to be that way although I did see a blue one earlier this past summer downtown DC. I tought it might be hard to find Black Edition models but they are easy to get. If I had the money now. I would go out and get it no waiting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought my 2017 Honda RL the same day it arrived on the truck last week. The base models seem to stay on the lot longer. The salesman told me that every RTL-T and RTL-E are always gone in under two days. I drove an RTL-T for a test drive, but I wanted a white one with the beige interior. It just happened to arrive on the truck while I was there!! I snatched it up. I was going to wait another 4 months, but when it was there I went for it. I traded my 2011 RL RTS. I am enjoying this upscale model.

JFCisme

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I hear you with black and gray but I am having a heck of a time finding a white RL. I really want to see one in person because I think that's what I want but I just need to make sure. I actually saw one on a car carrier and followed the car carrier for a bit just trying to look at it some. Strangely it didn't seem to be going to the local Honda dealership. I watched their inventory every day to see if it would show up but it never did.
White Diamond Pearl has been around for a long time. Acura had it back on the 2000 3.2TL when I got my Nighthawk Black.I test drove the WDP 3.2TL.
WDP color is a glossy white like a pearl. It may appear in certain light conditions having a light beige tint. It should be a color easy to take care of. This is the color of the Ridgeline that some guy has parked 4 city blocks from me here in DC. This was the first one I saw in person and not on dealership lot. I followed it to when he turned into car wash. Not an RTL-E model no back sliding glass also has OEM Tonneau cover.
Honda use to offer a Taffeta White color also it along with WDP were on 2013 Pilot. That color was more plain white compared to WDP. I prefer the WDP color.
So if you want a white Ridgeline RTL-E model your biggest decision may be your interior color of beige or black. But you can't go wrong with exterior color and treat it with tinting the 2 front door windows.

·
Registered
153 Posts
White, silver, gray, and black have been the most popular colors for years. Boring, but timeless. They have the best resale value because they appeal to the largest number of buyers for the longest amount of time.

Less popular colors might be hard to find or sell fast, but that's because there are proportionally fewer of them compared to the number of buyers. Automakers pick colors that will appeal to the largest number of buyers and not age too quickly. Remember all those Cayman Green Metallic and Seafoam Green Metallic Fords in the 90s? You coudn't give 'em away a few years later when that color fad passed!

Forest Mist Metallic is not a color that appeals the masses. Clark Griswold did buy a Metallic Pea Wagon Queen Family Truckster, although it was only because the dealer didn't get the Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon he ordered. Haha!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't seen the forest mist in person, but from looking at photos, it seems to be a light gray under most lighting, maybe with a faint hint of green from some angles. It seems you only see a distinct green under fluorescent light (when a dealer has it parked inside the showroom).

If you search nationwide on autotrader for 2017 ridgelines, and don't filter for anything except color=green, there are a bunch of them in captivity. Some of the entries have a good set of photos, but most don't have any photos.

Still I'd like to see it in person. If it's actually "too green" under most light, I'd probably pass, but if the photos are representative I kinda like it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Had to go about 80 miles to find dealer who had a scarlet pearl RTL-E on order. When I picked it up he had 3 buyers waiting for it if I did not want it ( I had put a hold deposit on it ). They did a good selection on the lot of non E,s in most colors and lots of BE's.

Most dealers were loaded with BE's in this area.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't seen the forest mist in person, but from looking at photos, it seems to be a light gray under most lighting, maybe with a faint hint of green from some angles. It seems you only see a distinct green under fluorescent light (when a dealer has it parked inside the showroom).

If you search nationwide on autotrader for 2017 ridgelines, and don't filter for anything except color=green, there are a bunch of them in captivity. Some of the entries have a good set of photos, but most don't have any photos.

Still I'd like to see it in person. If it's actually "too green" under most light, I'd probably pass, but if the photos are representative I kinda like it.
IMO, it is not too green & I'm personally happy that it's not a mainstream color. It is the color I want to get if the finances line up this summer.

·
Registered
995 Posts
They don't stock the colours because it'll always be wrong. They'll have a red one in and someone will want green. They'll get green and the next person wants blue.

For folks who want a specific they'll put on the special order sheet if it's a solid customer. Otherwise it's one from the monochrome rainbow.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If there is a more bland & lame corporate color palette than Honda's, I sure haven't seen it.... :surprise: How many different silvers does one really need?

Reactions: DSERVIT

·
Registered
153 Posts
For folks who want a specific they'll put on the special order sheet if it's a solid customer.
Nuh uh. Honda doesn't work like that. Dealers get what Honda sends. Period. A dealer can trade with another Honda dealer if the other dealer is willing to trade or a Honda inventory liaison can sometimes swap scheduled production orders with another dealer if there's something in the pipeline. There is no system in place for a Honda dealer to "special order" anything for anybody no matter who they are.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nuh uh. Honda doesn't work like that. Dealers get what Honda sends. Period. A dealer can trade with another Honda dealer if the other dealer is willing to trade or a Honda inventory liaison can sometimes swap scheduled production orders with another dealer if there's something in the pipeline. There is no system in place for a Honda dealer to "special order" anything for anybody no matter who they are.
I don't know if this article is accurate, or maybe it was tried and failed, but it seems to say that special ordering was possible beginning in 2014.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20140526/RETAIL07/305269961/honda-revamps-ordering-system-to-give-dealers-cars-they-want
Has anyone here actually done a special order from a dealer since 2014?

edit: here's a dealer that claims to embrace it:
http://www.mcminnvillehonda.com/portland-honda-faq
See "Can I order a custom Honda model through you?"

edit2: the obvious followup question is whether you can get a reasonable deal on a special order. The answer may be "no," so it may be irrelevant that you might be able to special order since you'd in effect have to pay a "penalty."

·
Registered
471 Posts
I ordered my deep scarlet RLT-E end of August and asked that the purchase contract include my having the option of requesting my deposit be returned after 90 days if they hadn't delivered the vehicle. Salesman took my requests to sales manager and he said "No." Salesman explained they sell white, black and silver/grey trucks, but not red trucks, and sales manager was worried I'd walk leaving them with a red truck. I finally got them to include a 5 month return of deposit clause.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well I don't work for a dealer or Honda but I'm having trouble imagining them just distributing the colours at random like gumballs out of a machine.

Whenever I swap out my truck I tell the dealer what colour I want the new one to be and that colour is waiting for me. It's been green, silver, grey, white, grey.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Had to go about 80 miles to find dealer who had a scarlet pearl RTL-E on order. When I picked it up he had 3 buyers waiting for it if I did not want it ( I had put a hold deposit on it ). They did a good selection on the lot of non E,s in most colors and lots of BE's.

Most dealers were loaded with BE's in this area.
I had the same situation. I found a dealer that was scheduled to receive a DSP RTL-E and placed a deposit before it was even manufactured. Travelled 110 miles to get it. I also would have taken the Obsidian Blue but the Scarlet was the first I found. Glad I did as I really have grown to prefer it over the blue.

The dealer had my RTL-E for 3 days before I picked it up. He had several people try to buy it out from under me in the few days it was on their lot but the dealer honored the sale. I think he could have sold for over MSRP at the time. Glad he honored the deal!

Paul.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts