Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've tried over and over again to activate the auto door unlock mode. I have followed the instructions as outlined in owners manual.

The instructions are as follows:

1) Shift Lever in Park; Close drivers side door
2) turn ignition switch to On(II)
3) Push and hold rear of master door lock switch until you hear a second clickng sound (after 5 seconds)
4) Release master door lock switch and turn the ignition to Lock(0)

Page 84 in owners manual.

I follow the instructions but I can NOT get it to work so all my doors unlock when I shift to (P). :confused:

Has anyone been able to set the auto door unlock feature? What am I missing here?

·
Registered
668 Posts
All the doors will not unlock when you put it in park, only the drivers doors will. I don't think you have the option to have all the doors unlock when you put the truck in park. when i read the manuel i wanted the same thing you did but i didn't see the option for it.

Sorry

·
Registered
146 Posts
WhiteRL said:
Has anyone been able to set the auto door unlock feature? What am I missing here?
Sorry! You just found out about one of the sore points here at the ROC. The manual you have is now considered a "mis-print". The feature does not work as described in your manual. Honda's solution was to reprint the manual, instead of fixing what most owners here consider a major annoyance. (I am one of them)

You will either have to get used to manually unlocking the doors with the door switch after going into Park, or just configure it to not lock the doors at all. There are other possible options out there that involve some extra hardware that can fire the unlock sequence for you. Search this forum for threads on this topic and you will find other possible solutions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There must be some way to disable this. I hate what "they" think what "we" want, without asking. hehe.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Stinks . I was very excited when I read about the auto door lock features in the owners manual. I wonder why they cut the feature. I can't stand having to unlock the doors to allow my passengers to get out.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
OK, I get confused easily. You want to bypass the locking door feature altogether or you want to keep that feature and have it unlock all doors after you put the car into park?

I just hated the auto lock feature, so I turned the whole thing off. Whatever was in the manual worked for me.

If you want, you can install a trigger device such as the PAC-TR7. This device is very versatile and can be used to solve problems such as the, "all unlock when in park".

http://www.pac-audio.com/

Check out some of their other cool products while you're at it. To find what the TR7 can do, go to Documents ---> Instruction Manuals ---> TR7 instructions.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I doubt they "cut the feature" per se. I think what was more likely is that there was a giant miscommunication between the people who had to program the car to do the power locks, and the people who wrote the requirements. This is very common in the software industry; I'm sure the auto industry, with its increased reliance on computer chips and software, is suffering from the same problem.

So, if you look at the manual again (which I had to do about 5 times until I was convinced, because I'm slow), you'll see that on the page where it *summarizes* the behavior, it says you can unlock *all* the doors in Park or when the key is turned off. When you turn the page and read the italicized text under the programming steps for each mode, you'll see that it claims only to unlock the *driver's* door for Park and Off. That's why I think there was a mis-communication; the geeks doing the work implemented it one way, and probably even wrote the steps for their implementation (I'm sure it was cleaned up for the manual). The higher-ups who didn't really know how the thing worked are the ones who put in the summary on the previous page.

I don't know for sure that this is what happens, but based on my 12+ years in the software industry, I'd put my money on this. I don't think they pulled this feature. I think they just screwed it up. :) I also don't think it's as simple as telling us "how to make it work" -- if it's not programmed to do it, it's just not going to work. End of story, sadly.

Most people just disable the default auto-locking of the doors, so the fact that auto-unlocking doesn't do what we want it to do becomes moot.

WhiteRL said:
That Stinks . I was very excited when I read about the auto door lock features in the owners manual. I wonder why they cut the feature. I can't stand having to unlock the doors to allow my passengers to get out.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
That's great news, Vertrkr. How about the enable NAV trip computer part of our plea?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Dood, that is sweet!!! That's pretty much what it would take -- replacing a door module. It would be much harder to reprogram the existing one on everyone's car. Now, the question is.... do we have to pay for it??

I think the more people complain to Honda about this "missing" (I'd say defective) feature, the more likely they'll start seeing it as a problem that *they* need to fix, not us. I made sure to complain about it when I got my follow-up call from Honda after buying the RL...

vertrkr said:
A little bird told me a new door unlock module has been made to enable ALL door unlock but has not made it to the dealer supply channels yet. Of course I'll post when it's available and all the details. Just wanted to let ya all know there's light at the end of the tunnel for this issue.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Cool, as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg like all the other accessories for the Ridge.

thanks for the info..........

·
Registered
529 Posts
We picked up our Ridgeline on Thursday night it was manufactured about the first of September. Friday afternoon I programed all the doors to unlock when I put the car into park. Here are the intstructions straight from my owners manual.

1) Make sure the shift lever is in park and close the driver's door.
2) With the car off, turn the ignition switch to on (II).
3)Push and hold the master unlock switch on the driver's door.
4)After 5 seconds you will hear one click, continue to hold the master unlock switch another 5 seconds until you hear a second click.
5)Release the master lock switch and turn the ignition switch to lock(0) within 5 seconds.

This does work.....you can also program the doors to all unlock when you turn the ignition switch to lock (0).....but that involves another procedure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if they fixed the problem in later built trucks. It should work for me. It's a dealer/Honda problem. I'm going to tell them that it does not work and they need to fix it at their cost. I'll refer them to the owners manual. It should work as advertised.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Yeah Mugen, I can imagine you only have one arm and one leg left after installing that audio system.

Actually, that arm and leg was something that was worth every penny to me. The OEM hitch, roof rack, fog lights, running board, and hood deflector, on the other hand (arm) do not need to cost so much.

Having said all that, I can't imagine putting on an aftermarket running board, roof rack, or hitch. Those items from Honda are absolutely...... what's the word?

build quality, integration, well thought out -- all rolled in one.

I'm just a big whiner. :eek:

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you follow what WhiteRL did and only wait till the first click (5 seconds) you will activate the Driver's door only mode. I do not think this is a production change but perhaps a miss-print of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
205 Posts
However, when TRYING it on mine, there IS no second click no matter HOW long you wait after the first.
SmokyMtnRidger said:
If you follow what WhiteRL did and only wait till the first click (5 seconds) you will activate the Driver's door only mode. I do not think this is a production change but perhaps a miss-print of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dang. Then there must be something to the manufacture date. I am sorry :(

Since our Ridgeline does work, Honda must have made an adjustment during manufacturing. I think that Honda via the local dealer should make it right with the "older" Ridgelines.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts