Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, what caused Honduh to make the tailgate lower than the bedsides?

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Re: Why is hte tailgate not flush with the sides?

Aerodynamics. By lowering the tailgate Honda nearly eliminated the wind buffeting caused by a normal tailgate. The result is a quieter vehicle that gets better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
30 Posts

The reason that was explained at the press intoduction was that, by making the tailgate less tall, it allowed for improved visibility of objects behind the vehicle.

·
Registered
361 Posts

When you add the tonneau cover over the tail gate, then the tail gate will be flush with the side.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Blue said:
When you add the tonneau cover over the tail gate, then the tail gate will be flush with the side.
Not completely flush...the top of the OEM tonneau cover at the tailgate is just over an inch lower than the top of the side.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Actually, it is because people like you do not know that HonDa has one of the finest research and development progams on the planet, and leaves people like you standing there gape-jawed when you cannot grasp the science and technology behind the improvements over other trucks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

OK I understand the visibility part. The aerodynamics one is not true. A truck has better aero with a full tailgate in the up position. Look for the study by Lockheed Martin..

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts

TacomaDCLB said:
OK I understand the visibility part. The aerodynamics one is not true. A truck has better aero with a full tailgate in the up position. Look for the study by Lockheed Martin..
Figured I'd have to prove it... here's what PickupTruck.Com published in their interview with Gary Flint, Cheif Engineer and Project Manager for the Ridgeline and Kevin Thelin, in charge of testing the Ridgeline (subject was aerodynamics):

"Let’s go back further than that. The major goal is fuel economy. In order to have fuel economy targets, it affects a lot of attributes in the vehicle. So it goes back to predicting and maintaining aerodynamic drag. It was a very high target for us. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The question everybody asks is what’s better: the tailgate up or down? If you engineer the truck correctly, by far the best aerodynamics will be with the tailgate up. You design it so the airflow comes off and misses the tailgate. We actually tested on competitor where the air came off the roof and hit the tailgate. But for the most part they are designed so air comes off, misses the tailgate but then reattaches as soon as possible behind the vehicle to keep the slipstream as long as possible. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the gains we made were on the back of the truck. Very little if anything we did up front."[/font]

Notice how it says "you design it so the airflow comes off and misses the tailgate"? So by your claim of the Lockheed Martin study it wouldn't matter if the tailgate was 8 feet tall?

Visibility may have been an issue... I don't know, but I do know they did a lot of mock up wind-tunnel testing and the height of the tailgate was set by those results.

Trust me... I don't post things out of a whim or to keep my fingers busy. I normally have facts to back up my statements and don't post things that common sense tells you is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts

I have been posting the same message at other sites, why are Tacamo owners so "angry" at the Ridgeline? If the Tacoma is great aren't you happy. I'm sure its fine. I was going to get the Taco until I drove the Ridge. I'm not going to bash the Taco so why are some trying to find something wrong with the Ridge? Is it some jealousy thing? I guess all I can do is laugh. Why are we paying attention to this guy anyway? Poor guy needs our attention?

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts

Rocker said:
I have been posting the same message at other sites, why are Tacamo owners so "angry" at the Ridgeline? If the Tacoma is great aren't you happy. I'm sure its fine. I was going to get the Taco until I drive the Ridge. I'm not going to bash the Taco so why are some trying to find something wrong with the Ridge? Is it some jealosuy thing? I guess all I can do is laugh.
I don't know if it has anything to do with a Tacoma or not. I know that Toyota vehicles are fine vehicles.

It's really hard for me to consider the Tacoma and the Ridgeline in the same sales catagory, but I guess many do. The Ridgeline pretty much sets a new class in my opinon.

If I wanted more of a truck that had some car features I'd probably get a Tacoma. If I wanted more of a car that has some truck features I'd probably get a Ridgeline. That's my PERSONAL opinion and I'm entitled to it even if everyone else disagrees.

If you want to know which vehicle is "better" then you have to define "better". If you define "better" by the features of the vehicle then which is better is nothing more than personal choice... no difinitive answer can exist. If you define "better" by sales then only time will tell. If you define "better" as build quality then we just need to wait for the JD Power studies to be released on the Ridgeline. There are probably a bunch of other ways to define "better" but that really doesn't matter too much.

I was in the automotive manufacturing business for nearly 15 years. I've been to many of the auto manufacturing plants in North America regardless of brand. It's hard to argue with the success Toyota has enjoyed in that respect. Nobody does it better. As for the vehicles they build it's just a matter of personal choice... nothing more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have nothing against the Ridgeline...Im just posing a question...

·
Registered
361 Posts

Hi, Tacomadclb,

don't feel bad. We got some strong Ridgeline enthusaist here. I think Tocoma is a great truck for different reasons. In terms of styling, Tacoma wins by a mile. It is a well designed truck. Blonde or brunnette, tall or short, we all have preferences and that is what makes the world so interesting. I did not buy the Tacoma for variety of reasons, one is lack of leather interior. thank you for visiting our site and good luck to your Tocoma.

·
Registered
264 Posts

I did not buy the Ridgeline because I thought it was or is a better truck than a Tacoma or a Tundra. I did it because it suits my needs better. Both T's bring many fine qualities and attributes to the table, and they are fine vehicles. I guess I do not understand the reasons behind this Taco guy working so hard to get a rise out of Ridge owners.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Just a quick fact for you guys...the three inch drop in the tailgate height lets you see 5 ft. closer behind you compared to it being even with the top. So part of it is visibility ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts

Having owned an 05 Tacoma double cab 4x4 sr5 for 3 months prior to dumping it for a Ridgeline, I can say that the Ridgeline is a far superior vehicle. FAR better ride, comfort, driving experience, much more responsive, quality build, engineering, interior room, class, safety... In purchasing the Tacoma I thought I was getting a quality vehicle, sold by a respectable dealership, built by a company that stood behind their product. I was wrong on all counts. My Tacoma experience was a stressful, getting jacked around joke. I hope nothing goes wrong with yours, Tacomadclb. Dumping the Toyoyo and purchasing the Ridgeline was the best decision I've ever made and I'm loving the Honda experience. :D It's like coming home!

·
Registered
460 Posts

csimo said:
Figured I'd have to prove it... here's what PickupTruck.Com published in their interview with Gary Flint, Cheif Engineer and Project Manager for the Ridgeline and Kevin Thelin, in charge of testing the Ridgeline (subject was aerodynamics):

Visibility may have been an issue... I don't know, but I do know they did a lot of mock up wind-tunnel testing and the height of the tailgate was set by those results.

Trust me... I don't post things out of a whim or to keep my fingers busy. I normally have facts to back up my statements and don't post things that common sense tells you is just plain wrong.
GOOD POST CSIMO.....this was my understanding as well. i was even told not to drive with the tailgate down because it would be less fuel efficient than leaving the tailgate up as it was designed to be more fuel efficient........thanks for confirming that my salesperson knew what he was talking about..........(shocker!!) well done. :cool: :)

·
Registered
10,401 Posts

What happened to your Tacoma? Did you dump it or did the dealer take it back?

L

·
0 Posts

TacomaDCLB said:
I have nothing against the Ridgeline...Im just posing a question...
So why create an issue by saying Honduh???

I let comments like that pass me by as I have better things to do with my precious time, however, I don't go to the Toyota sight and insult Toyota enthusiasts.
A little kindness goes along way.

When you come to our house, wipe your feet as we will in yours.

:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
The primary reason the tailgate is designed at the present height to provide adequate rear visibility. The rear visibility engineering targets were the same as those used for other Honda models. The aerodynamics were optimized by tuning the rear roof shape and the “spoiler” on the top of the tailgate. The R-L actually has superior aero drag compared to any of the other trucks. You can evaluate the laminar air flow yourself by opening the rear window while driving at highway speeds. You’ll note it is very quiet which is a result of the aerodynamic tuning.

If the tailgate were raised higher, the aero could be improved. Contrary to popular belief, opening the tailgate increases the amount of aerodynamic drag.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts