Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
123 Posts
Hi Bill,

I hear that, there is way too much involved these days, probably because of all the lawyers ;)

Centex does a very thorough discussion of the situation.

Last week we were camping with the Airstream and one afternoon a guy walks into our campsite (I was in the shower) and is standing about 2 feet away from our trailer door. He starts into my wife about the hitch that we are using and wanted to know how it works etc...

My wife is baffled by this. She said we have a WDH and that's it, he wanted to talk about weights and loads but she shoed him away. It was strange that someone would be so insistent to come into your site and start grilling you on what kind of hitch you are using.

I guess I made it more confusing for the old dude by leaving my regular hitch on the RL as we took the trailer to empty the tanks earlier that day.

But still, I am monitoring my own situation and making sure that I keep to the safest and most effective practices while towing. I can't police what others are doing and I have seen some questionable ones out there.

This is a great place to learn and ask questions which is really what this forum is all about.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Last week we were camping with the Airstream and one afternoon a guy walks into our campsite (I was in the shower) and is standing about 2 feet away from our trailer door. He starts into my wife about the hitch that we are using and wanted to know how it works etc...

My wife is baffled by this. She said we have a WDH and that's it, he wanted to talk about weights and loads but she shoed him away. It was strange that someone would be so insistent to come into your site and start grilling you on what kind of hitch you are using.
We have had that happen, too. Part of my setup routine is to remove the hitch from the receiver and stow it in the bed of the truck. Maybe they think I've got a magic hitch setup.

Some people are just like that. Back when the Prius was still a thing, I had a guy walk up to me as I was parking my RL in a lot, wanted to ask what kind of mileage I was getting. It was a pretext for him to start blathering on about the fantastic mileage his Prius was getting. The blathering didn't go on very long because I just walked away.

I think your wife did the right thing.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
123 Posts
When we pulled our Camplite with our VW Beetle TDI, we often got confused looks but having a Prius park in front of the trailer at campsites would be great for comedy :)

Then you could talk about mileage to the interested few that should dare to ask why or how. "I get 99 miles per gallon when pulling the trailer with my Prius. That is down from the 280 miles per gallon I get when not towing!"

·
Registered
2011 RT
6 Posts
I just added WDH, with sway torsion control, to my G1 RT model RL, towing a 2016 Rpod 178, makes a nice difference when a truck blows by in the other direction, reducing the sway and bounce of the lightweight trailer.
That said, my G1 is AWD.
I towed it locally a few times with a simple ball hitch on 2-inch drop, and it certainly was fine, but the trailer made itself known.
Can't weigh in on the G2 and FWD factors, but acknowledge it has to put a little more strain on the truck.
I don't tow with any of my tanks loaded (fresh, grey or black) savings LOTS of weight. I'm maxing out at maybe 3,500 lbs tow weight, including gear in the trailer and bed of truck
Tongue weight rated for 600lbs (w/ a WDH)
My actual tongue weight: 254lbs (+ weight of hitch at maybe 30lbs?)

My profile pic is with the 2" drop ball, just after purchase in Martinsburg, WV.

(and everyone at a campground wants to snoop on what everyone else is using...usually to tell them how they're doing it wrong, cept me, I'm too busy enjoying myself.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
With our G2 Ridgeline AWD we tow something similar to what the OP plans on towing. Our trailer is a Casita 17 foot and weighs in at 3500 pounds and 425 pounds tongue weight fully loaded with water and propane and gear for a trip. Our dry weight listed on the tongue plate is 2600 pounds dry. We do have some options which figure into the extra weight and we always tow with full water for safety and convenience. We use a wdh, for us it is an EZLift Elite 600/6000. We also use a friction anti sway device.

Because your G2 is front wheel drive, I think you might be happier with a wdh for two reasons. A lighter duty one like the Anderson may well be enough. 1. As for comfort and 2. safety. For those two reasons a wdh is king. On long trips the porpoising on sectioned pavement can get old plus you will need to transfer weight from your rear to the front tires of your G2 in order to maximize braking traction. Your engine and drive train will likely respond well to the weight of your trailer, because our G2 handles the weight of our Casita like a champ. Remember, safety first! You can be towing for years and never run into a bad situation, thinking everything is hunky dory and then someone slams on their brakes in front of you and you really find out just how well you are set up.

Other posters on this thread are right. You will need a tranny cooler and a class three hitch receiver. I would check with Honda dealers about both, but I suspect you may need to get an after market solution. Check with nearby RV/trailer outfits plus check with local welding shops. Many welding shops specialize installing towing gear on trucks. Their prices may well be better than Honda and just as good.

One last thing we do is we tow at no more than 65 mph. That is what most trailer tires are rated for anyway. Because trailer tires are subjected to abuse (curb rash) your truck tires aren't, they can have blowouts, especially if you drive like there is no trailer behind you.

Lastly, there is an online forum of RPod owners for you check with. Many of your concerns could be covered there. You can see what problems your proposed trailer might be having
and how owners are doing towing with FWD.

Good luck and happy travels.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When we pulled our Camplite with our VW Beetle TDI, we often got confused looks but having a Prius park in front of the trailer at campsites would be great for comedy :)

Then you could talk about mileage to the interested few that should dare to ask why or how. "I get 99 miles per gallon when pulling the trailer with my Prius. That is down from the 280 miles per gallon I get when not towing!"
I always think ‘those guys’ are kinda funny (and annoying). Nevertheless, it’d be interesting to calculate ton-miles per gallon for the Ridgeline pulling its trailer and the Prius pulling its. The Prius might still be more fuel efficient, I just think it might be fun to see one day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What has ever happened to the days when you had a hitch welded to the family car or station wagon, ..................
Bill
This is what most people don't realize that there were no manufactured hitches like they have them now. Most RV places back then were skilled enough to build one for your vehicle and get you going.

My main point is "back then" folks just loaded up, backed up to their trailer and went camping. Today folks are literally frightened into thinking that they need to spend hours/days/weeks going over specifications, calculating every little item down to the ounce, and then placing that item within an inch so to achieve an exact weight and/or balance. Making sure that they do not "overload" even by a pound or so or they will surely damage their vehicles, crash and die. We have watched people actually doing this ritual while packing up and have have been confronted and chastised ourselves by a couple who watched us eat breakfast, throw everything into the trailer/car, fold up our camper, hook up, and started to head out, chewing us out for our recklessness where we were surely going to cause a life-threatening calamity! I am thinking that it is this type of over-reactiveness that the OP is referring.

We sure do sorely miss the days of "common sense!"

Bill
We are sort of in the same camp, but as we tow with what most people would consider unacceptable vehicle(s) when ever we get a new trailer we do take it to the scales for the first time when setting up to make sure we are not overloading our axle capacities. We always carry very similar stuff and load so we never check it after that initial set up. I will check my tire pressure every time before we pull out of the campground as well as checking the torque on the lug nuts on the trailer before a very long trip.

As for the campsite "engineers" wanting to tell us why we should not be towing the trailer we have with the vehicle we have we tell them we don't speak English and shrug our shoulders and they always leave 😈. Most though find our combination interesting and it starts a conversation that has created long lasting friendships with some of the folks we have encountered. I would say 80% have been good interactions and the remaining I could care less what they think so never stressed about "those" individuals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 2WD RTL-T
I know it has a 3500 towing capacity

looking to tow an Rpod 179 which according to the salesperson the model they have available has a dry weight of : 2932 lbs

in addition( if I’m able to tow this) , would I need a weight distribution hatch.

and will I only need to add a hatch ball to the truck if I don’t need a WDH ( I’ve read Honda doesn’t recommend the WDH)

not sure if I’m leaving somehting
I tow a R pod 177 with my 2wd RTL when I tow all my tanks are empty. I use a weight distribution (Blue Ox) and I added a (B&M super cooler)ATF cooler you will also need a brake controller and like someone replied keep it under the 3500 taking into account all your gear and passengers use a cat scale at a local truck stop hope this helps

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I tow a R pod 177 with my 2wd RTL when I tow all my tanks are empty. I use a weight distribution (Blue Ox) and I added a (B&M super cooler)ATF cooler you will also need a brake controller and like someone replied keep it under the 3500 taking into account all your gear and passengers use a cat scale at a local truck stop hope this helps
LOL, I really am not belittling you, Jaded, honest, but I believe that this post may be a near perfect example of exactly what the OP is referencing about towing becoming confusing and complicated?

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wjfyfe I believe everyone has covered in depth all he need to know I was just merely telling him what I use to tow mine. In the end he needs to research and educate himself before he takes on the responsiblity of towing a travel trailer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always think ‘those guys’ are kinda funny (and annoying). Nevertheless, it’d be interesting to calculate ton-miles per gallon for the Ridgeline pulling its trailer and the Prius pulling its. The Prius might still be more fuel efficient, I just think it might be fun to see one day.
I know this is a bit off topic but here is an interesting article on towing with a Tesla. The RV place doing this is known for unusual combinations and they have had a number of customers asking them how an electric vehicle would tow, range, etc. They acquired the Tesla in the article for their fleet and are now testing in order to have some data on towing capabilities of an electric vehicle.

Here is the link; The Tesla Experiment - RV Lifestyle Magazine

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
123 Posts
I have been chatting with a fellow Airstream owner that pulls with a Tesla and his trailer has a GVW of 5,000 lbs. I will ask him what sort of mileage he gets.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
123 Posts
So towing a Tesla Model X 100D with a Range of 475 kms without towing and when towing you can see a reduction of 40 to 50% in range depending on terrain and how fast you go. This reduction is with an Airstream in tow. Then you can charge it up at the campsite (most have plug ins now).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
So towing a Tesla Model X 100D with a Range of 475 kms without towing and when towing you can see a reduction of 40 to 50% in range depending on terrain and how fast you go. This reduction is with an Airstream in tow. Then you can charge it up at the campsite (most have plug ins now).
Is there a backup power source you can bring along for an electric vehicle, should your range calculation get nuked by traffic jams, headwinds, hillier-than-expected conditions, etc., to get you (hopefully) to the next available charging site?

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
They need to make it so you can tow the Tesla behind your RV and have it regeneratively recharge itself as well as the RV battery bank while you're on your way to your campsite at the park...

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Is there a backup power source you can bring along for an electric vehicle, should your range calculation get nuked by traffic jams, headwinds, hillier-than-expected conditions, etc., to get you (hopefully) to the next available charging site?
I think i saw where an outfit in England was renting little tow-behind trailers that housed a generator. The idea was that you'd tow it behind your electric vehicle when you went on extended trips.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
123 Posts
There is a solar generator made by Bluetti that can give you 10 miles and can be carried in the trunk.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts