Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1st generation RL was pretty ugly imo, but at least it didn’t look like a car. The tire size seemed reasonably proportional to the profile of the body.

From the side an back the 2nd gen is quite handsome. However it just seems like the tire and wheel package looks comically undersized. The diameter looks small but it also looks narrow and the wheel offset pulls it inside the bed and fender.

Maybe I am missing something. Is there more that one size tire package? I am not talking about rim diameter. Is there a larger tire package? How does it compare to the first gen?

Is there a way to get a bigger tire look without suffering the mpg?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
You answered your own question. The undersized look was done for MPG (as well as performance acceleration and braking). Keep the wheels tucked in and as light as possible for aerodynamic and athletic performance. Like wearing track shoes.

Some people prefer the look of AT tires. They are like work boots....strong and get you through the tough stuff, but a PITA wrt performance.

You could try a 17" wheel and tire package, but make sure the overall weight is equal to or less than oem. The 17"s will look beefier and ride a bit softer, all else being equal.

·
Registered
791 Posts
As I think was said, you can alter the appearance by putting smaller-diameter wheels on, but use tires that result in the same overall diameter. Smaller wheels with taller-sidewall tires (or the same type) are essentially always lighter overall, so you’ll gain at least a small amount of efficiency and performance from that swap.

Aerodynamics are a big deal for fuel economy on the highway, so keeping things tucked in, and not leaving big gaps between the tires and the fenders is important to manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Stock size tire is 245/60-18. That's good size by most standards. More a state of mind than a state of fact.

·
Registered
316 Posts
245/60-18 is a good size tire. But IMO, "trucks" should come with a taller sidewall. You need the taller sidewall for cushioning. My 1st vehicle was 12 year old, 1984 S-10 Blazer that came stock with 235/75-15's. Those fit the wheel wells perfectly. At that time, 60 series tires were for Corvettes and other sports cars.

Lower profile requires stiffer sidewall. Stiff sidewall = stiffer ride. Why build a truck that you know people are going to drive off-road (or to the local dump, or down a pot-hole infested highway) and equip it with rubber bands for tires? The 2G factory tire/rim combo looks like an afterthought..just my opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
While G1 and G2 shares the same tire size, I think G2 wheel wells were made similar to the newer Pilot which were made to accommodate 20" wheels. That's why 18" looks a bit silly on the G2 like the OP mentioned.

·
Registered
316 Posts
245/60-18 is a good size tire. But IMO, "trucks" should come with a taller sidewall. You need the taller sidewall for cushioning. My 1st vehicle was 12 year old, 1984 S-10 Blazer that came stock with 235/75-15's. Those fit the wheel wells perfectly. At that time, 60 series tires were for Corvettes and other sports cars.

Lower profile requires stiffer sidewall. Stiff sidewall = stiffer ride. Why build a truck that you know people are going to drive off-road (or to the local dump, or down a pot-hole infested highway) and equip it with rubber bands for tires? The 2G factory tire/rim combo looks like an afterthought..just my opinion.
You do realize that the later 1st Gen and the 2nd Gen share tire & rim sizes?
View attachment 396253
View attachment 396254
Ah, ok. My 07 has 245/65/17's...I assumed all 1 gen's had the same tire size. So ya, I guess it's just the design of the wheel well.

It's too bad, even though there are some of us (including myself) who would buy a 2G regardless...there are some basic proportioning issues with the design that if Honda would have simply taken a step back and looked at their own drawings...they might have seen the awkwardness that so many people point out LOL. Every single time I mention to anyone that I want a new RL, their 1st response is that the front looks out of place and they tell me to keep the one I have haha. On well, I get one, I'll put bigger tires on it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
There are a lot of things at play here. The offset combined with the black plastic trim around the wheel well makes the wheel look smaller and the Pilot suffers from this with the 20" wheel from certain angles. The trims with black wheels exacerbates this even more.

Many people on the forum have added spacers or have switched to a aftermarket rim that helps, even when keeping the current wheel/tire size

·
Registered
247 Posts
Honda designs wheels and tires to be rather universal like most vehicle manufacturers. They will fit other vehicles, even Acura, same spec and offset / tire size etc. Makes life easy for a mass produced vehicle.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What forum and how many do you estimate?
Just search spacers in this forum... here are a few examples

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought the same thing when I bought my Black Edition exactly 1 year ago. On the show room floor was a new Pilot with 20" black rims and I asked them if I could trade them. Of course they said "sure, $4,000"...

Honda... Why does the Pilot get 20" black rims and at the same time you only offered 18" on mine?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts