Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You unlock the doors, get something out of the trunk and before you know it, the doors and trunk lock again. That feature bothered me and I couldn't figure out "What was Honda Thinking" until the other night at a soccer match. I was tasked to go get extra blankets out of the truck (in the trunk) and as I approached it, I hit the unlock and got the blankets. As I was leaving I started to put the armful of blakets down and re lock it but I knew it would re lock itself. So, I think this feature is useful when you need to put stuff in/take stuff out of the trunk without getting into the cab. Works well in this instance, as my hands were full of extra blankets.:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, this feature has been irritating many times. I would get ready to walk out the house with a arm full of stuff going to work, so I would hit the unlock button from inside the house and then grab everything and walk out. I mean it hadn't even been a minute yet the the damn doors were locked again. I say the lights flash on the truck, so I know the doors unlocked.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think the doors relock after 30 seconds of inactivity. Just long enough for me to get up to the side of the car and remember I wanted to grab the mail go to the box and back and have the doors locked on me. Both of our Hondas do this, rather annoying at times, but good from a security perspective because I keep my keys in my pocket and every once in a while I will set off the panic alarm or make the car beep from hitting the lock a few times while it is in my pocket so I can only imagine that I have unlocked the car a couple times too, but thanks to this feature, with 30 seconds it will be locked again.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Gentlemen, timing is everything! I wish the trucked lock that way also. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
hiPSI said:
You unlock the doors, get something out of the trunk and before you know it, the doors and trunk lock again. That feature bothered me and I couldn't figure out "What was Honda Thinking" until the other night at a soccer match. I was tasked to go get extra blankets out of the truck (in the trunk) and as I approached it, I hit the unlock and got the blankets. As I was leaving I started to put the armful of blakets down and re lock it but I knew it would re lock itself. So, I think this feature is useful when you need to put stuff in/take stuff out of the trunk without getting into the cab. Works well in this instance, as my hands were full of extra blankets.:D
If you open it before it re-locks, I don't believe it will then automatically lock. This feature prevents accidental unlocking. If you open it within the alloted time, it will stay open. Can someone confirm?

Cheers,
jeffro:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
jeffro said:
If you open it before it re-locks, I don't believe it will then automatically lock. This feature prevents accidental unlocking. If you open it within the alloted time, it will stay open. Can someone confirm?

Cheers,
Yes, that's how it works. I think the OP had a very good point about how this can be viewed as a feature, not a bug. I've learned to go open and close a back door just to prevent the car from relocking itself while I'm loading the trunk; I'm glad to accept an alternative view of when this might be a good thing. :D

OP: original poster

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flymuck said:
Yes, that's how it works. I think the OP had a very good point about how this can be viewed as a feature, not a bug. I've learned to go open and close a back door just to prevent the car from relocking itself while I'm loading the trunk; I'm glad to accept an alternative view of when this might be a good thing. :D

OP: original poster
Thanks. I do the same thing as you with the rear door. ALL doors (inc trunk) will relock themselves Unless one of the passenger doors has been opened. You can unlock all doors, open trunk, close trunk and leave knowing all doors will lock themselves again. My wife did it while shopping again. We put the packages in the trunk and while walking to another store she said "Did you lock it?" I told her not to worry, it would lock itself!:D

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
jeffro said:

Cheers,
That's true of the doors...if you open any of the doors, they won't relock, but if you only open the trunk, then all the doors and the trunk will lock back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts