Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not exactly sure where this would go so i tried it here
i am going to be loading some compost into my truck bed this weekend it is loose and i will just keep shoveling. how much it will handle? i have no idea how much weight it will be i was wondering what is a safe amount of travel or "squat" i can expect it to do. it is a short trip<couple of miles< with no hills to speak of . if anyone can sort of help out i would appreciate.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
IIRC, the max bed weight is 1100 pounds. I don't know how that translates into squat, but I wouldn't go any further down than 1.5", measured from the middle of the wheel (the hub) to the lip of the fender well.

The max weight for the truck as a whole (passenger + load) is 1400 pounds, so if you're going to have more than 300 pounds of "people", reduce the load appropriately.

Measuring that way (hub to fender) skips any compression by the tires -- it will only be suspension travel. Speaking of tires - add about 4 psi of air to them. But don't go over the max molded into the sidewall of the tires! When you're done hauling, take your pressure back down to the value printed on the driver's door sticker.

Chip H.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Since it's not very far, make multiple trips rather than overloading - no sense breaking something to save a 2 mile drive.

Flymo

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Since it's not very far, make multiple trips rather than overloading - no sense breaking something to save a 2 mile drive.

Flymo
I agree with both posts above. Compost if it is wet is VERY heavy. The RL is a well engineered vehicle but hauling heavy loads in the bed is not one the key features. Use care.

Also I would place a cheap tarp in the bed to help protect the trunk and make cleanup easier. Run it up the tail gate to keep compost from getting in-between the tailgate and the bumper which will make it difficult to open and unload.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Per this link, mulch runs from 400-800 lbs per cubic yard while compost runs 1000-1600 lbs per cubic yard.

I've put two yards of mulch in the bed of my Ridgeline, but that was pushing it based on this. I'll limit it to a 1.5 yards from now on because I don't think I've ever gotten mulch that was dry enough to be on the lower end of that weight range.

Even with two yards, the Ridgeline didn't seem overloaded. Back end sat down a little, but didn't look overloaded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts