Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD. Silver on the outside with black leather interior and "wood" accents. Loaded in every which way possible with nav and all the goodies. Has 35,810 miles on the clock and it's in absolutely perfect condition. I couldn't find a single nick, scratch, dent or mark on it anywhere. Drove amazingly well. Extremely smooth and quiet and has NEW Michelin Latitude tires on it.

Bought from Car Sense, so there was no haggling. This wasn't to my liking because, unlike the majority of people out there, I greatly enjoy haggling. The wife doesn't. It was priced very competitively at $29,496. We bought an extended warranty that gives us 6 more years of bumper to bumper coverage starting from the day of purchase. The thing will still be under warranty when it is almost 10 years old. After the warranty, tax, title and fees, we were out the door at $34,153.

I really wanted a 2014+ model, but my wife liked the 2013 body style better. Plus, whereas the 2014 is much different on the outside and slightly different on the inside, there really isn't that much that differentiates the two other than a 6-speed auto as compared to a 5-speed auto and a few other small things. Dealerships wanted a minimum of $5000 more for them and it simply wasn't worth the extra cost.

The wife is outrageously excited to be in a larger vehicle that will serve us well for many years to come. We take delivery on Wednesday night.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
They are sure nice, I was thinking of buying one before I bought my RL, but I could not afford a brand new vehicle at age 19, so the ridge was in my budget.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Nice ride. Good Luck with it!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Good for you both...

She's in nesting mode, getting ready for the little one ;)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Exciting times at the Ian household. Congratulations on a nice looking rig. It's gonna come in handy for carting around your soon to arrive bundled joy.

Happy days!

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone! She's literally shaking because she's so excited to get it. I keep telling her that "good things are worth waiting for" but her patience level is near non-existent. It's a beautiful vehicle and we're very excited to be fortunate enough to have it as soon as we have. We'll be able to take it to the beach next month and be in comfort the whole way. Not that the truck isn't comfortable, but this thing is a peach compared to the RL. MUCH quieter on the road and affords way more tech and creature comforts in general. And yes, the new addition will be riding in style in November when he/she makes an appearance.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are sure nice, I was thinking of buying one before I bought my RL, but I could not afford a brand new vehicle at age 19, so the ridge was in my budget.
Budgets are very important to stick to. A brand new 2016 would have been in the mid-40's. We didn't want to be car-poor, and the newer body style didn't really suit the wife. This one fit the bill in every way possible and didn't break the bank. It's still an expensive vehicle. It's twice what I paid for my pre-owned RL back in 2010, but it's going to be in the stable for a very long time. With only putting about 4000-5000 miles a year on it, we'll get our money's worth from it for sure!

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Congrats on the new to you SUV! You're gonna love this car. We've owned our Highlander for over 10 years. Our Ridgeline and it have been two of the most reliable, dependable, and longest lasting vehicles we've ever owned. We tow our Highlander behind our motor home and it makes for a very practical 'towed' and when our kids were small it carried everything nice and warm inside.

Safe travels to you guys!

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just as a nod to Car Sense and their actual honest business practices, a rock ding was found in the windshield. If you'll look at the first picture, it was right on top of the yellow sticker in the upper middle part of the glass. It would have been next to impossible to see it with the sticker there, hence, why I didn't see it. The sticker was removed for cleaning this morning and the shop tech reported it to our salesman. The salesman called me to explain the situation and they're actually REPLACING the windshield for me with OEM Toyota glass. It will be done tomorrow morning before we take delivery in the evening. The sales guy said we can inspect the work and if there is any issue with it at all, they will take care of it. There's a 5-day return policy anyways, so we can return the vehicle for a full refund for any reason. I thought that was really awesome of them. Most any other dealer would either let that go or try to just fill the chip with resin.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up the Highlander last night. The windshield was done extremely well. No wind noise or out-of-place trim to speak of. I'm usually weary of replacing factory parts, but this seems to be not an issue. I made friends with the sales guy pretty quick, so not only did he ensure the tank was full and the car was absolutely spotless, but he spent a half hour with us explaining all of the features, syncing our phones and getting us all ready to roll. He's a local who loves anything automotive, golf, sports in general (Pittsburgh teams mostly), beer and being a smartass. We even realized we play in the same softball league. We hit it off like the second half of "Step Brothers". We did not, however, go to the garage to do karate. Although, we did have a good conversation about the literary and pictorial greatness of "Good Housekeeping".

Anyways, the wife is elated. She has determined the silver beauty is a girl and shall be named Angelica, or "Angie" for short. Believe it or not, the Highlander is actually one inch SHORTER than her 05 Accord sedan. It fits very well in our crowded garage and is very easy to maneuver. It drives like a dream, the updated electronics are wonderful and the audio system is AWESOME for being stock. It's just a hair lacking in the high frequencies to suit my liking, but the wife is satisfied in every way possible. Looking forward to our beach trip for sure!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Judging by where that yellow sticker was, the chip could've been considered to be in the field of view, thus making it an inspection issue. I'm assuming one of their mechanics performed the inspection and missed it as well. So it could have been a liability thing. That said, you're right; they could have simply filled it with resin and moved on with their day. Good on them. It's nice to hear of some integrity in the car business. Seems to be lacking these days.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Judging by where that yellow sticker was, the chip could've been considered to be in the field of view, thus making it an inspection issue. I'm assuming one of their mechanics performed the inspection and missed it as well. So it could have been a liability thing. That said, you're right; they could have simply filled it with resin and moved on with their day. Good on them. It's nice to hear of some integrity in the car business. Seems to be lacking these days.
The salesman said it never would have made it through the certification process with that ding in the windshield. They guarantee no dings, dents or scratches for a vehicle to pass it. The Highlander had about 30 more miles on it when we test drove it as opposed to when they took it in. So, the salesman said it likely happened after the certification while someone was on a test drive. Nonetheless, Car Sense went above and beyond what would have been considered a standard and acceptable repair - especially since the mark was completely hidden by the rearview mirror while driving. I'm happy and, most importantly, the little lady is elated. That's really all that matters to me.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Just signed a lease deal on a new Subaru Crosstrek for the wife, giving my daughter the 2013 Forester, I guess I'll still keep the RL, oh wait I still have a 2016 Ram.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Traded my hail-dinged-faulty-airbagged-worn-tired, '08 Pilot for a new, '15 HL-LE, silver.

The HL drives great and very quite cabin too. And it fits in my 2-car garage better than my Pilot and way better than my '12 RL-RTS ever did.

Like my Pilot, I use my HL to haul my bass gear, basses, amps cabs, random cables/pedals all fit great in the rear cargo area. And like the Pilot, I'll never use the 3rd row seat. THough 3 months into ownership we actually used the 3rd row seat as 6 adult couples loaded all in my new ride and went to the Gulf Coast for wife's b'day of a visit to a Whiskey distillery then fresh seafood nearby afterwards. The youngest of the 3 couples volunteered for the 3rd row and swore it was very comfy back there.

At 8 months of owernship, I've only logged 5200 miles, so expect this to be another long use, low mileage auto for me. I still miss my '12 RL and my '13 Crosstour-EXL that went to the wife with this Toy-Auto purchase. I'm impressed with many of the standard safety/comfort features that came on the LE model HL. I do sure miss the easy fold down rear seat feature of the Crosstour most.

After driving the loaded Crosstour for about 2 yrs, it was cool but I wanted my next auto with less bells n whistles. Happy with my HL so far but I still plan to go test drive the 2nd Gen RL, just to see what its' all about. May try out the new Pilot while there too.

Enjoy y'alls new Highlander, I kinda like that body style better too.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ Good stuff! We had 6 adults in ours this past weekend for the first time, as well. Wife was driving me (best man), my buddy (groom), his wife (bride) and my other two intoxicated friends home from the wedding. We shoved my friends in the back just in case their dinner found its way back out of their stomachs. Luckily, that didn't happen, but two guys at 5'10" and 6'1" fit back there with no problem. Still loving this new ride more and more every time we're in it.

Reactions: ernieD and Carsmak
1 - 16 of 16 Posts