Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new here! I'm contemplating upgrading my 16 Civic in the next year or two to a Ridgeline. Only problem I think I might run into is my garage door opening - mostly with the width.

Length wise, I marked a line at 210" from the door and have about 2 to 3 feet to spare. Height wise, the clear opening space is 80", which I'm assuming is good based on the 70.8" height specs.

Width, however, is listed as 78.6 without the mirrors and my opening is 93.5" wide at the smallest. My Civic is listed at 70.8 w/o mirrors and already seems a little close.

So does anyone else have a similar door size and own a Ridgeline? I usually back into the garage now.

I would probably be looking at '19 thru '21whenever I do buy.

Looking at search, this appears to be asked a lot so if I'm not in the right place please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just measured my garage door opening and it's 109 inches at the narrowest point. Currently I have an '18 Pilot and there's plenty of room. I already signed all the paperwork for a '21 Ridgeline and it's supposed to be here by the end of this week or the beginning of next. If you don't have an answer by the time I get mine, I'll measure how much room I have and let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, thanks to both of you! Seems like it would be pretty tight with the mirrors out but doable nonetheless.

Some friends had dealers let them take larger vans home to their garage to check the fit so hoping I might be able to do that.

Any idea how much space folding in the mirror saves? Guessing just a couple inches overall but might help alleviate the tightness when passing the mirrors through the opening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My garage is 19' 3" long by 9' 11", no issues getting it into the garage with the folding mirrors. There is just enough room to close the door on front and to put the tailgate down on the back (cannot walk around it with tail gate down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I brought home a 21 Ridgeline yesterday to try it in the garage with my other car next to it. It was tight (do able) but tight and I have to be careful. My advice is ask your dealer to let you bring one home for a half hour and have somebody watch you pull in. I took some videos of it in my garage for my reference.

On a side note loved the power and ride, but sadly the fit and finish were not good on the tailgate, large gaps on left and very tight on right

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah cool, I'm thinking the dealer nearby might let me do it. Could have my wife watch me back in and check. Most dealers near me in NEPA don't even look to have anything but the Sport in anyway so it'll be awhile.

Thinking I might carry over to '22 assuming that stays similar in size. Just want to make sure it fits before I commit to anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe Honda will have power-folding mirrors on the USA Ridgelines by then.
Would definitely be nice. I think if I could pop in both to pass them through the opening I'd be set. Otherwise I'll have about 1.5" of clearance when the mirrors pass through if I'm perfectly straight.

Not sure how much I'd enjoy sweating going in and out of the garage everyday...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have 8 foot garage doors all trimmed out with the weather stripping there is about 3 inches on each side with the mirrors unfolded to spare. It's tight and over the last 15 years with Odysseys, Ridgelines and now a Passport I have hit numerous times or should I say glazed but never had to replace a mirror yet. What I do is always line up the drivers mirror when pulling in as if you justify one side you know the other will automatically fit. Reversing however is more difficult and I always stop before the point where the drivers mirror should be lined up. I never get it right but with the stopping you can easily correct without having to pull forward.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
567 Posts
I brought home a 21 Ridgeline yesterday to try it in the garage with my other car next to it. It was tight (do able) but tight and I have to be careful. My advice is ask your dealer to let you bring one home for a half hour and have somebody watch you pull in. I took some videos of it in my garage for my reference.

On a side note loved the power and ride, but sadly the fit and finish were not good on the tailgate, large gaps on left and very tight on right
FYI ... the gap on the left side is by design to allow the tailgate to open sideways.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 8 foot garage doors all trimmed out with the weather stripping there is about 3 inches on each side with the mirrors unfolded to spare. It's tight and over the last 15 years with Odysseys, Ridgelines and now a Passport I have hit numerous times or should I say glazed but never had to replace a mirror yet. What I do is always line up the drivers mirror when pulling in as if you justify one side you know the other will automatically fit. Reversing however is more difficult and I always stop before the point where the drivers mirror should be lined up. I never get it right but with the stopping you can easily correct without having to pull forward.
Hearing the trouble with 3" on each side makes me wonder how rough it's going to be with nearly half that in my garage. Will definitely need to test it out somehow before buying.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I realize that you are talking about a one car garage, but I have a 2019 Odyssey and a 2017 Ridgeline that bit just fine. I back in the Ridgeline and the Odyssey fronts in - that way both driver doors are in the middle and each of us gets as close to our respective walls. Granted we are empty nesters and don't have the need to get passengers in and out on a daily basis, but this works for us. Should also add that our garage is a tandem - one side is 2 times as deep than the normal, so it is really a 3 car garage with only a single 16 foot door.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey everyone, new here! I'm contemplating upgrading my 16 Civic in the next year or two to a Ridgeline. Only problem I think I might run into is my garage door opening - mostly with the width.

Length wise, I marked a line at 210" from the door and have about 2 to 3 feet to spare. Height wise, the clear opening space is 80", which I'm assuming is good based on the 70.8" height specs.

Width, however, is listed as 78.6 without the mirrors and my opening is 93.5" wide at the smallest. My Civic is listed at 70.8 w/o mirrors and already seems a little close.

So does anyone else have a similar door size and own a Ridgeline? I usually back into the garage now.

I would probably be looking at '19 thru '21whenever I do buy.

Looking at search, this appears to be asked a lot so if I'm not in the right place please let me know. Thanks!
The Ridgeline will fit. I re-measured my garage door, and it is exactly the same as yours @ 80 inches high and 93 inches wide. I had to replace my single panel garage door with a sectional door to increase the width to 93 inches. I bought a 19 RL Sport when they first arrived in showrooms around May/June 2018.

I manually fold the drivers side mirror every time I enter and exit into my garage, even it fits with mirrors out. Sometimes I'm distracted and the mirrors have hit the garage door opening - more times than I can remember. Goof Off easily removes garage door paint from the truck mirrors, FWIW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Ridgeline will fit. I re-measured my garage door, and it is exactly the same as yours @ 80 inches high and 93 inches wide. I had to replace my single panel garage door with a sectional door to increase the width to 93 inches. I bought a 19 RL Sport when they first arrived in showrooms around May/June 2018.

I manually fold the drivers side mirror every time I enter and exit into my garage, even it fits with mirrors out. Sometimes I'm distracted and the mirrors have hit the garage door opening - more times than I can remember. Goof Off easily removes garage door paint from the truck mirrors, FWIW.
Oh man, that's great to hear! Really appreciate hearing that from someone with basically the same opening as mine!

Does it make any difference backing into or out of the garage? I have always backed my Civic in and never have any issues but not sure the difference on the Ridgeline. The garage isn't on a busy street so backing out wouldn't be a problem.

I guess otherwise that solves the dilemma, just need to adjust to the fit whenever I decide to upgrade! Thanks everyone!

Other newbie question if anyone feels like answering:
Is there any good time of year to buy a Ridgeline? I'm in no rush but currently it looks like inventory on 20/21 are both low or nonexistent.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh man, that's great to hear! Really appreciate hearing that from someone with basically the same opening as mine!

Does it make any difference backing into or out of the garage? I have always backed my Civic in and never have any issues but not sure the difference on the Ridgeline. The garage isn't on a busy street so backing out wouldn't be a problem.
FWIW- I have never wanted or attempted to back into my garage which is below street level because driveway is steep and narrow.

Building Rectangle Shade Fixture Wood

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW- I have never wanted or attempted to back into my garage which is below street level because driveway is steep and narrow.

View attachment 410053
Wow yea that looks about the same as ours size wise. Fortunately ours is slightly above street level and the only obstacle is the actual opening.

I'm pretty used to backing in now with the camera and mirrors but not sure how different the extra 30" or so would make it. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2019 RTL
857 Posts
Other newbie question if anyone feels like answering:
Is there any good time of year to buy a Ridgeline? I'm in no rush but currently it looks like inventory on 20/21 are both low or nonexistent.
If you are open to a 2020, now is the absolute best time - with the 2021s out, you should be looking for a good discount on the 2020 and there's 5 years 0% APR available.

If you are looking for a 2021, I'd suggest leaving it a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are open to a 2020, now is the absolute best time - with the 2021s out, you should be looking for a good discount on the 2020 and there's 5 years 0% APR available.

If you are looking for a 2021, I'd suggest leaving it a while.
Gotcha, I last bought a Honda in 2016 but do they do these low APR financing offers regulary?

Thinking maybe get a 2021 at the end of the year / early next year and if they had the 0% financing it'd definitely be nice.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,379 Posts
Gotcha, I last bought a Honda in 2016 but do they do these low APR financing offers regulary?

Thinking maybe get a 2021 at the end of the year / early next year and if they had the 0% financing it'd definitely be nice.
Historically, low-APR financing of Hondas has been few and far between.

We first started seeing the low-APRs in the last quarter of 2019, IIRC. Honda had a glut of Ridgelines on the market, and there were plenty of rumors floating around that the vehicle market, like the housing market of 2007-8, was about to have its bubble burst.

Then the pandemic started, and everyone worried that auto sales everywhere would crash. Fortunately, they didn't crash, but have declined precipitously, but so far have survived well enough. More importantly, that bubble seems to have deflated some, and maybe took some pressure off of the chance of the bubble bursting.

Still, we continue to be in the midst of the pandemic, the economy is predicted to be weak for a couple more years, so I would expect the feds to keep interest rates low for a while yet. This gives Honda some incentive to keep their rates low for the near future. The wildcard here is that the Ridgeline is selling well.... does Honda want to take advantage of that golden egg, or will they shoot themselves in the foot by raising interest rates on their good-selling vehicles? Only Honda can answer that.

Tl;Dr - as long as feds keep the interest rates low, there's a good chance Honda will keep rates low, at least on some of their vehicles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts